1999 Plymouth Neon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1999 Plymouth Neon

Post by Lil Neon on May 29th 2009, 3:04 pm

Alright, so I'm going to be painting my neon from the ugly fading purple it is right now to a bright yellow Very Happy The paint I'm using is the Rustoleum Safety Yellow. Before I actually started on the car I wanted to test my method a little bit and get a feel for how this is going to work. I was fortunate enough to find a guy giving away a neon hood for free the day before I went on vacation. I am currently on my 3rd coat.

Here are some pics of my process so far Very Happy If you have any suggestions let me know! Thanks

This is the hood after a quick sanding:

I decided to use a primer since the hood and car are two different colors; I don't want any variation in the end since I like this hood a lot more then the one I have right now Razz

I wet sanded that primer with 320 grit then applied my first coat of Safety Yellow:

2nd coat:

Wet sanded with 600 grit and I just applied this 3rd coat:

I seem to be getting a few roller marks :/ any way to avoid those??
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1999 Plymouth Neon

Post by Techmaven on May 29th 2009, 10:56 pm

How much are you thinning the paint?

Techmaven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : Facilities for a large company
Project : 93 Mercury Tracer 4 door.
Registration date : 2008-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 30th 2009, 2:40 pm

I'm thinning it at about 2:1. It seems to be just a little thicker than the consistency of water with that mix. Do you think I should thin it more?

And a question about the wetsanding. I decided to wetsand after the third coat because I felt like I hadn't done a good enough job last time. I used a sanding block and went to town. When I was done the entire surface was very smooth to the touch but it still looked like there was orange peel even though it was totally flat. Am I doing something wrong or will this not be a problem in the final coats?
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 30th 2009, 2:49 pm

Okay so like I said above I decided to wet sand again after the 3rd coat dried:

It looks like there is still orange peel but it is super smooth to the touch Suspect So I'm not too sure about that. If you guys (or girls) have any insight on that I'd love to hear it

Last night I put on the 4th coat and I just put on the 5th coat this morning. secret
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 30th 2009, 10:49 pm

Yep, Thats orange peel. When the entire surface is dull then it is smooth. The shiny spots you see are the bottoms of the peel that haven't been sanded down to yet. You have to use a sanding block of some kind (hard) to level the surface. Some people try to use a sponge and squeeze the water out as they go but the sponge follows the surface and sands everything. We don't want that, We need to sand down to the bottoms of the orange peel. However there is a point when you can say "that good enough. This is NOT a show car" and stop there. I try to get the hood, tronk and around the windows as perfect as I can and the rest is......,well thats good enough.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 31st 2009, 4:35 am

Thanks for your input plumber Very Happy my sanding block thing kinda has a foamy bottom which I think is making wet sanding a lot more difficult and which also forces me to use the edge of the block alot. This of course led to me slipping and catching the paint with a corner doh

So I guess I'll just have to sand a little harder and pick up a better block :/ anyone know where I can get some wet/sand paper in decently large packs for a good price? Gotta get back to wet sanding now!!
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 31st 2009, 6:02 am

So I spent a few hours trying to get that hood looking perfect... I pretty much was about to throw the hood out the window mad3 It seemed like every agonizing sanding motion was just bringing out more orange peel.

Then I just looked at the hood and exactly like Plumber said I was at that point where I thought, "That's enough". My last few coats are going to receive the most wetsanding that I can sanely give and no more grin

I'll upload some pics tomorrow Very Happy Next week is going to be dedicated to body work then the week after that is painting the whole car!! If anyone knows anything about dealing with cracked bondo lemme know cus that's what I'm dealing with.
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 31st 2009, 11:21 am

Cracked bondo has to come out and be redone. Clear down to the bottom because there will be moisture down there which will cause rust if it is covered over. A note about sandpaper.......Stay away from ebay stuff. It comes from China and is cheeeeep but it is junk. Spend the $$$ on brand name stuff. It will outlast the China stuff 3 to 1. I know that for a fact because I have a bunch of it LOL.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on June 5th 2009, 1:24 am

Alright I'm back! I decided not to post any pics of the last coats I did on the hood because honestly there isn't anything ground breaking about them Razz They look like the last few coats. The final coats will be applied when I do the whole car on monday Very Happy

I do however have some pics of Bondo work!! Yey! So I had this ugly cracked bondo in my quarter panel:

So from looking at the bondo from this point of view it looks like the bondo is pretty much localized to under this window... nope Razz I found out when I began sanding that pretty much the WHOLE panel was recreated with bondo affraid

My initial plan was to just remove all of the bondo from the panel and put in some fresh stuff. I changed my mind when I saw that. So I decided to remove only the areas that were damaged and replace the area I removed. I'm not sure if that is against the Bondo rules or not but I decided it was my best shot ha ha I heated the damaged areas with a heat gun and scraped the bondo out (this method is really easy and fast) to find a bunch of rust. I almost crapped my pants! lol! I wasn't wanting to deal with that. Thankfully it was only surface rust... Pics!

Cleaned the hell outta that rust:

I sanded the edges of the existing bondo in a little bit making it slope down into the valley I just made to hopefully create a better surface for the new bondo to adhere to then I went to town! And this was my first bondo experience, but I'd say I did a good job of it lmao

I have to feather the edges a little bit and do some finer sanding but I'm saving that for monday when I sand the whole car for primer Very Happy Oh and a quick question. Is thinning the paint so much going to cause it to run badly on the vertical areas of the car?
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 5th 2009, 12:33 pm

I suspect you will have runs. The trick is to not have much paint on the roller. That is one of the reason for so many coats. When you see one just go back and roll over it again. Some people have a clean roller in their pocket just for that purpose.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on June 11th 2009, 6:25 pm

Okay everyone! The past few days I have dedicated all of my time to rolling on the entire car! Yey!! So I have some pics for you. I don't have any of the car totally done because I'm still working on it but they will be along shortly! Comments and questions are appreciated bounce

(I love this built in image hosting tool, I just wish it went a tad faster lol)

So I had to mount the painted hood to the car to get it out to where I would be painting, LOL it was funny driving it like this:

Sanded and all taped off (this took way longer than I though it would:

Primed with Wal-mart rattle cans Very Happy it randomly started to rain (there was seriously only one small white cloud in the sky) while I was spraying and I had to tear off taping on the door and drive it into the garage with the paper still on the windshield lol:

After 2 coats of paint, it looks like really good coverage in the picture but it looked like a banana that wasn't quite ripe:

I think this was coat 4 or 5, I honestly don't remember because I took a lot of pictures lol

I've just applied a 6th coat and I'm waiting on that to dry for wetsanding and final coat. I know 7 coats? Yep, time constraints make that the maximum number of coats I can put on this bad boy Very Happy
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MR2Miach on June 11th 2009, 6:55 pm

You do know that you can add the final coats later down the road, like a good weekend when you aren't working or something. Just don't wet sand or polish/wax until you have the time to add more coats.

BTW, looking good so far, and yes your front bumper looks like it sucks to paint.
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Job/hobbies : Very active MR2 Owner
Registration date : 2009-03-10

View user profile http://www.mr2miach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on June 11th 2009, 7:00 pm

Yeah I was actually planning on doing it lil by lil, but I just want to get this thing done lol

And the coverage actually looks pretty good with what I have Very Happy I don't think an odd coat will hurt it at all either so 7 is what it gets lol Thanks for your input though Miach

Oh yeah and I have no space to do this at my apartment and I don't wanna spend anymore time with my girlfriends sister! LOL dork
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MR2Miach on June 11th 2009, 7:25 pm

LoL, never thought I would hear a guy claiming to not wanting to be around his GF's sister. But if she isn't pleasant to be around, I guess I wouldn't blame ya.
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Job/hobbies : Very active MR2 Owner
Registration date : 2009-03-10

View user profile http://www.mr2miach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on December 3rd 2010, 6:34 am

I never posted the end result of my work on here. I really hate it when people do that Razz Here are a couple of pics I took of the final result before I sold the car.

I should be starting a new project soon so I'll hopefully be posting more within the month Very Happy
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on December 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm

Good job.
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on December 4th 2010, 12:08 am

Thanks! Does anyone know if the safety orange color in Rustoleum is the same color as the "Real Orange" Tremclad that was used on the Mopar forums 69 Charger?
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content