Do I need to sand and reprime new parts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do I need to sand and reprime new parts?

Post by Guest on May 29th 2009, 9:58 pm

Hi, I'm new to body work so be easy on me. I'm doing a frame-off restoration on my old 1984 Dodge Ram 4X4. The cab (without doors) and short bed came from down south with no rust at all but I blasted them using a power wash and baking soda which took off all the old paint down to bare metal then primered them. I bought new aftermarket doors, fenders and inter-fenders. The hood and tailgate are the only original body parts and are in great shape just need re-painted. Inside the doors and fenders I painted with Chassis Saver (similar to POR 15) same stuff I used on the frame, under the cab and under the bed. The inter-fenders are fiberglass but I painted them too. My question is, do I have to sand and re-prime the new body parts before I paint them. I'll be using Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black paint. Thanks for the help, Fred

Back to top Go down

Re: Do I need to sand and reprime new parts?

Post by retired plumber on May 30th 2009, 1:27 am

I would. At least give them a real good washing with dawn dish soap and then a scuff sand and reprimer. You DON'T know where they have been and what is on them. You really can't see greasy hand prints , etc. untill they show through the finish paint. Not a pretty sight. The dawn will cut most anything grease wise so you should be good to go there.
Sounds like you have quite a project there Fred. Is it just the sheetmetal or is the mechanical going to get redone also? Good luck with it. We enjoy answering ??? but we like pictures even better LOL.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on May 31st 2009, 10:14 am

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply. All of the engine, drivetrain and axles have been rebuilt. The frame was sandblasted and reinforced with 3/16" steel plate. All new spring hangers and a new 4" lift kit were installed. It's been a long project, almost 3 years but it's time for paint. I'll try to post some pictures. Fred

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top