Dry Times

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dry Times

Post by Lil Neon on June 6th 2009, 3:05 pm

I'm going to be rolling my neon this upcoming week, unfortunately I was only able to get 4 out of the 5 days off that I requested Rolling Eyes Since I was hoping to get a minimum of 2 coats primer (which is going to be rattle canned) and 8 coats paint, I'm wondering what the minimum time I should have to wait for the Rusto to dry is.

On the hood I practiced on I was allowing to dry for 10 hours. I'm wondering if it's possible to cut that time down to make it possible to do 3 coats in a day?? Or do you think I'd be better off with 6-7 coats of actual paint? Any suggestions are appreciated Very Happy
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dry Times

Post by Lil Neon on June 11th 2009, 5:50 pm

Alright Very Happy Nobody knew the answer to this one (or wanted to reply) but I figured it out this past week and I guess I'll put some info into this sad little topic so it can maybe help someone.

No way you're gonna roll on three coats of paint in one day unless you are a rolling/wet sanding robot and it is very hot where you are painting! Evil or Very Mad I used a 1:1 mix and it was pretty warm so I've been able to let it dry for only about 5-7 hours depending on which day in particular (the weather has been fluctuating like crazy here, one day i was hot and got a nice tan... next its cold and windy). Oh and another thing that I figured out that I didn't notice on any other posts: on vertical parts of the car (i.e. doors, fenders, etc.) you should paint with horizontal strokes from top to bottom. This method allows the paint to level together a lot easier and there is minimal need to go back over panels to clean up nasty runs Very Happy
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on June 20th 2009, 10:41 pm

sorry.. I was on vacation, getting very sunburnt.

On 80 degree days with about 40-70% RH all I could get was 2 coats. I would wet sand from 9-noon, then roll and leave the car in the sun. By 4 it was dry enough for a 2nd coat, but the car was way too hot. I had to pull it into the garage for an hour of shade time. Otherwise it dried way too fast - even before I finished a panel, and it was orange peel city.

I adjusted the mineral spirits depending on the temps that day, but 1:1 really seemed to be a good start.

I also used 6" rollers, which gave much fewer roller lines to re-roll out. I basically did the entire car with front to real rolls, then x-patterned very lightly to remove any paint buildups from the roller. And I did many many very thin applications. It made the wet sanding go much faster, which is really the most important part of painting this way
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 6:35 pm

great topic seeing as i have 4 days to paint my car well im figuring on about 2 coats a day allowing 8 hours of dry time, but im going to paint my car in my garage where its about 90-95 ={ wet sand every 2 coats when i replace the tape im going to paint it pannel by pannel but im doing the top part of my two tone this week going from the roof to the bottem because i love gravity

i took robos tip with the 6inch rollers butim also going to have to use a bit of foam brushes for the areas that the rollers wont reach... monday better hurry up i wanna get started on the out side of the car so bad
zoelife
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : security gaurd getting ase certified
Project : 2000 cavalier
Registration date : 2009-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 16th 2009, 7:26 pm

I would say 4 days is really pushing it - it took me closer to 2 weeks, and I only missed about 4-5 days from weather problems (it got really cold/wet on me).

Doing a 2 tone is much more complex because of the taping - you need to do one or the other first, then tape and roll the other, with dry time between. Otherwise the tape will pull the paint off.

And I would say do the top first, otherwise your blue might run down over your black and make you have to repair that
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 8:00 pm

lol i guess great minds think alike im doing the top tonight at least the priming, im not going to touch the bottem at all untill i get the top done so i dont have blue trying to make babys with my black and the top is where most of the clear coat issues are Smile

half silver half blue for a week eh cant wait for the comments on jbody.org lol
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 16th 2009, 10:20 pm

you can prime the whole thing at once as long as you use the same color - that may actually work better for ya
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 10:40 pm

so sand the entire thing then prime all of it then just do the top part?

thats not going to hurt the out come of the bottem?
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content