2000 cavalier

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2000 cavalier

Post by zoelife on July 12th 2009, 9:16 pm

Hi guys I'm kinda new to painting I've done some small things and now its time for me to up my game to my car i was going to have macco do my paint for about 1500 but decided o give it a shot my self first

here is the story my car has bad sun spots, body condition is amazing no dents dings or rust any where just bad paint so i've got the basics down on how to paint her with the roll on method

some pix

OK now as you can see it needs paint, so i know that i need to

1. sand the car with 320
2. sand the car with 500
3. sand the car with 800
4. apply roll on primer
5. allow 2hours to dry
6. sand with 800 until smooth
*wet sand or dry? if wet i use dawn soap for better lube *insert joke* what cleaner would you guys recommend to clean the surface sense the paint is still new or should i just use water?*
7. steps 4-6 two more times
8. let dry over night

9. come back in the morning with a gallon of black paint
10. re-mask and tape everything
11. apply first coat of black paint
*I'm going to paint my baby in my garage it gets hot in there, will the heat cause fish eggs and if so what can i do to prevent them, add a fan or something to circulate the air or will the heat act like an oven?*
12 wet sand with 1000 grit until orange peel is gone
13 allow 2 hours to dry
14 repeat steps 11-13
15 re-mask and tape everything
16 repeat steps 10-15 until i get a good 8 coats of paint on her
17 on the last coat i will use 1200 grit wet sand to really bring out the color

^sound about right?

materials *should of listed this first lol*
1.painters tape
2. 6inch rollers
3. little foam brushes for cracks and bumper
4. sand paper from 320-1200
5. water bucket
6. paint, now i want to do a gloss black but haven't decided what type yet
7. roll on primer

missing anything?

thanks for all the help promise i wont be so noob on the next car i paint Razz
zoelife
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : security gaurd getting ase certified
Project : 2000 cavalier
Registration date : 2009-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2000 cavalier

Post by RoboGeek on July 12th 2009, 9:48 pm

A few hints..

320 will be good to get off all the old clear coat thats failing. You want to get it all off, even the parts that are still intact. The stuff you do before painting will affect the final outcome. The black is very shiny, and will reflect any flaws.

320-400 is fine for the primer and first few coats

If you thin it 50:50, allow a good 8 hrs for drying. Best bet is to wet sand in the AM, after drying overnight, roll a coat, then late afternoon roll another. By morning it will be dry enough to sand. If its not dry enough the paint will roll off under the sandpaper.

3rd gen cavy is a bit bigger than the 2nd gen - you'll need 3 qts and a gal of mineral spirits. If you use hardener, follow the tips the others that used it posted. Buy about 10 trays of the cheapie disposable trim trays - just over a buck each. 3rd gens are long and smooth with no real tight curves - you can use the 6" rollers, and the the 4" for the tighter areas. The same handle will work on both.

Use a spray can for the edges and corners before you roll. Then you don't have to worry about detailing with foam brushes so much

Use the green masking tape. Blue tends to stick too much. Tape it with great care, and when painting make sure the areas you tape off don't accumulate too much. Its better to have too little than too much in those areas. You can always touch it up with unthinned paint later

your car looks perfect for this method, and you do need to do something before it surface rusts

btw.. I tested black, and I got it to look like a mirror. It was as good as my old hand rubbed laquer finished I used to do in the 70's. But you have to wet sand it to perfection. My car was too screwed up from hail damage and rust to use black, but man it looked good on a test panel

and I promise I wont say 'lose the wing' lol

oh yeah.. welcome to the forums!!
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 12th 2009, 10:55 pm

i thank you for the welcome and all the help. lol thanks i like the wing im trying to figure out my color coordination now though, don't want to much black im thinking about painting the lip of my rims blue to mach the blue black im going with

believe it or not i have never thinned paint before to do this is there a measuring tool or example 1qt paint 1qt mineral spirits

like i said knock on wood there is no body damage its in perfect condition cept the paint

so i think ill do 2 coats of primer then start the first coat of the black paint, should i do as you said for the paint with the primer, sand with 320 till the clear is gone then smooth the metal with 500-600 prob 600 "what im getting at is i don't want any scratches left in the surface"

then 1 coat primer, let dry for about 8 hours, sand with 400 wet, add another coat and let dry over night then get started with the first coat of black paint?

oh and the spray will go on the doors trunk and under side of the hood, what about the front bumper

zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 4:23 am

heres a color idea i was just thinking about

zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 5:27 am

zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 6:32 am

zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 6:39 am

a friend of mine just photoshoped the basic layout i want of the car

what do you think?

im sure i will make the black line curve up to the top of the corner light to try and make it flow easier, any ideas?
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 6:54 am

lol sorry for so many pictures i like to get peoples opinions before i do anything drastic Razz

friend of mine just linked me this one

not to sure if i like it or not, were getting almost a nascar feeling out of this one

and those rims are not the right ones this picture was taken a long time ago lol
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 13th 2009, 5:23 pm

either the last one or the one with no zig zag thingy if you ask me
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 7:43 pm

im going to do the door jams, trunk and hood *all the underbody work* this week with a rattle can to see how it comes out first

ill sand with 320
then spray primer
let dry for 4-8 hours
wet sand with 600 untill smooth
then rattle can the first coat
let dry for 4-8 hours
wet sand
apply second coat and see how we look after the wet sand again Smile

any tips for the dawn soap method of wet sanding? im needing to know if i should wash the paint or use some type of cleaner to remove the soap
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 13th 2009, 8:31 pm

never used soap. I use a hose and try to keep it to where I can feel the paper dragging. Too much water and it doesn't seem to cut enough - too little and the paper clogs

If you really want to see how it looks, you'll probably need more coats. But the spray can does coat it thicker...

I was kinda like you - I really didn't trust or believe you could roll on paint and look good. But at some point I just decided there was no way to make my car worse.
I was more than a little surprised! I have actually had worse spray jobs, and enamel is very easy to fix problems with, because its single stage - no clear coat to deal with
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 13th 2009, 8:38 pm

btw.. my test panel was my trunk. It looked like your car with massive clear coat failure. I sanded it down and after 6 coats I saw it would work

btw.. my car was so rusty I couldn't get my lug nuts off, so I took it to one of my customers that owns a repair shop to spin the lug nuts off for me. They didn't believe the paint job cost under $50 (they knew how bad it was before) and when I said I rolled it on they really freaked.
I was actually kinda scared to take it there because I still have pieces of tape stuck on the trim, and haven't cleaned up the paint spots on the glass the rollers spewed. But the whole shop had to come out and look - everybody liked it. So my anxiety about taking it to a shop is gone now.. lol
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 10:34 pm

my friends all have tuners which the cavalier falls under but mine is domestic so i have everyone. "should buy a honda they wont rust, or hey my toyota has a better engine" every wends they get together up at andys *ice cream place* and hang out show off their rides, i've never taking my car up there because they would all talk smack about my paint. next week im going Smile
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 13th 2009, 11:01 pm

Well here this goes, like getting into a cold pool the only way is to jump in so i went out and bought my supplys today all but the mineral spirit *not painting the car till next monday just getting supply's ready*

wends ill be painting the inside of the door panels under the hood and trunk with a few pictures total price so far is

zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 14th 2009, 9:12 am

good luck and remember....TAKE YOUR TIME...... if you run into problems, stop and post your questions, someone on here will have an answer for you.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 14th 2009, 2:01 pm

will do
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 14th 2009, 9:27 pm

winners of how the two tone should look, colors may vary on the blue but thats the idea here

thanks for all who helped me decide on what i should go with!
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 15th 2009, 8:52 pm

that a similar line i took on my toyota.
should look killer!!!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 4:19 pm

up date, im at work and my camara is locked away in my garage so i can't post any pictures yet. all i've done so far is the underside of my hood, which was a ***** to test this paint on lol

so many curves in the hood at it was hard to sand down evenly
i sanded it down with 320, cleaned it real good with soap and water then i primered 1 coat let it dry for about 4 hours then did the second coat and wet sanded the primer till it was smooth to the touch

after that dried i put on first coat of spray last night which i was like omg this looks horriable!! after i smacked my self and said calm down this is only the first coat i let it dry over night and came back in the morning for the second coat. looked a little better did some wet sanding and i think i wet sanded to hard because half of the primer was coming back threw but there were bumps i wet sanded with 1000grit and used enough water and made sure the surface was wet as well so im not sure if im doing anything wrong or not yet

i marked off where the two tone is going to go and i have to say im pretty impressed so far. i've decided that im going to do the top part this week and the bottem part next week so i dont have to keep swiching sides and it will give me more experence for the bigger area

robo any tips about the bumps?

all i've used so far is spray and the can doesn't spray to even

Smile
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 16th 2009, 6:26 pm

the bumps if I read right are orange peel. You want the primer sanded as smooth as the final coat or you'll be fighting it the whole job.

At this point 400 grit is what you want to use, or your arm will fall off!!!

Sand it till there are no little bumps - or actually shiny spots with the bumps being sanded on.

Its going to look bad until your 6-8 coats in. Spraying should only take 3-4 coats to get the edges. Orange peel wont really matter there since rolling the next layers will cover most of it
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 6:45 pm

ok so i should wet sand with 400 instead of 800 and its ok if the primer starts showing back threw because im only 3 coats into it? sadly i had to put the 3ed coat on and 2 hours later put the hood back on the car and go to work
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 16th 2009, 7:33 pm

I did 2 coats of primer and my one regret is I would have gotten that layer perfect first.

Use the primer to make sure the surface is perfect - especially with the clear coat failure your had. And sand that till its just a dull version of what you want your paint to look like finished.

Somebody posted close up pics of what the orange peel looks like - thats a handy thread - if you can't finfd it, I'll look because I think I posted in it.

And another little hint - if you use light primer, spray a thin layer of dark primer over it, or visa-versa. When wet sanding you can see the imperfections better. Primer is dull, so orange peel and imperfections are harder to see
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 7:55 pm

that picture was removed i've been searching all over this fourm to get as much info as i could before starting my project, did you thin your primer with a 1:1 ratio or just leave it all paint

im going to sand and primer the top of the car tonight

sand top tone all 320. im leaving the bottem untouched untill next week
wash car off
roll on 1st coat primer

come back in the morning about 8am
roll second coat
let dry till 2
wet sand with 400?

then i have to go to work at 4 which should give the wet sand plently of time to dry i work 4-12 after i get off work

come home wash car make sure there are no imperfections
roll first coat let dry over night
come back at 8am roll second coat
let dry till 6pm
wet sand with 800

sadly then i have to go to work again 8pm-8am which should give the paint plenty of time to dry for the 3ed coat by the end of the weekend ill have the 4th coat on and on tuesday i should have the entire top done
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zoelife on July 16th 2009, 8:12 pm

gah im a liar getting to exicted and impatient i still gotta do the inside of both doors and my trunk >.< might not get done for a while lol but! if i want it to look good gotta do it right
zoelife
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on July 16th 2009, 9:42 pm

its not hard to use the car while your doing it - just make sure its totally clean, and ignore everybody's comments - especially if they come from JBO.. lol

One of my customers gave me so much cr@p after he saw it with 3 coats or so it wasn't funny. He came back to pick up his wifes computer tues and said "I see you gave up on that car"

I said no - thats it sitting there

needless to say he didn't believe it till I showed him the pics on facebook
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down