Airbrushing the ENTIRE car with Brightside?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Airbrushing the ENTIRE car with Brightside?

Post by ArnisAndyz on August 17th 2009, 11:45 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have picked up alot of tips while I plan my paint job out!

I've been testing different ways to apply the Brightside on some old fenders. The roller method works, but I was getting a few bubbles that I had to tip. It took some practice on how much paint to have on the roller and how much pressure to use. The second method I tried my friends Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. I'm sure a professional or someone with more experience could do a good job, but I had trouble with runs and controlling how much paint I was spraying. The brightside doesn't really flash like auto paint so the techniques are a little different to avoid runs.

My final test was using my Airbrush! Some background...I work in graphic design and have a pretty good airbrush collection. I work mostly with computers now, but I broke out the old airbrushes to see how it would work. I used my biggest airbrush, a Pacche VL5. For an airbrush, this gun can put down a pattern that's fairly big and dense, yet has the adjustability to regulate air and paint to a light mist at the finger tips. I thinned the Brightside 3:1 and it shot great! As mentioned above, brightside is real slow drying which allows it to self level. I think this is what makes it work so well out of an airbrush. I can lay a super thin base coat and regulate how much paint goes on WHILE I'm painting. MUCH more control than with a roller or big spray gun. The entire panel stays wet before I'm done, so there isn't an issue of paint drying too fast, overspray, paining to the wet edge, etc. In addition, I get most of the paint on the car and there is way less overspray than with the HVLP gun. Timewise, you might think that it would take forever to airbrush the entire car, but because the paint goes on so controlled, I think there will be less wetsanding than the roller method (bubbles) OR the HVLP gun (runs). I'm also way more experienced with the airbrush than with a roller or HVLP gun. It also didn't cost me any additional materials since I already had my airbrush and compressor.

I've seen some awesome results on this forum using rollers and spray guns. But for me, the airbrush is the answer. I'll post pics when I'm done!
ArnisAndyz
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Airbrushing the ENTIRE car with Brightside?

Post by Techmaven on August 17th 2009, 1:29 pm

Looking forward to it!

Techmaven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : Facilities for a large company
Project : 93 Mercury Tracer 4 door.
Registration date : 2008-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArnisAndyz on August 19th 2009, 4:00 pm

Update: Airbrushed the first coat. It looks good...but it took a **** long time! The airbrush lays the paint down slowly compared to an actual spray gun or even roller but its pretty safe and its very smooth with no runs or orange peel. I still need to do some light wetsanding due to a few hairs and bugs but its minor. If it weren't for that I think I could get away without wetsanding until prior to polishing.

It seemed to work best saturating an area to build up the paint, laying it on thick then broadening the area, rather than trying to spray the entire area all at once. I like the control but I may try a mini detail HVLP gun to get a little more coverage than the airbrsuh.

Update2: Bought a gravity fed mini detail gun from Harbor Freight for $9.99 and it works great! What's nice about this gun is that it works with only 3CFM. I had no trouble running it off of a borrowed .75 3 gallon tank compressor. It can lay the paint down much more saturated and with a broader pattern than the airbrush. It can run brightside through it with minimal thinning. It makes it really easy to lay a smooth coat without runs. I'm finding the trick is to lay down enough paint to get a good saturation so the paint can self level, but not so much to where it starts to run. It worked best about 8-10" away stroking through at a slower pace to allow the paint to build up. There is a very slight orange peel in some areas but its not bad at all. There are no runs anywhere. I'm still laying on thin coats like the roller and wetsanding after every other coat.
ArnisAndyz
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top