93 S10 3rd color change. Ongoing project!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

93 S10 3rd color change. Ongoing project!

Post by mikeychalupa on October 11th 2009, 12:01 pm

Hi. I'm from Memphis and I have a 93 Chevy S-10 reg cab. I bought this truck from a body parts supply store for $700. It was very well taken care of.....well engine wise. The interior and the exterior were a mess, but it was used to deliver parts so what more could I expect. It has more than gotten me to and from work. Now I am wanting the give the old girl some fresh paint.

here is what it started looking like:

As you can see, the hood is the worst part. It is peeling and has a little rust as well. So I tried sanding it down and then someone suggested that I strip it completely and start over.

This is after the first application of stripper:

This is the second go around.

So my first choice of color was Rustoleum's Smoke Grey. It looked really good on the can and I was after that dark grey look. Well, after applying it to the hood and the front fenders, I wasn't liking the color too much. It just wasn't dark enough.

It kinda looks like primer more than anything. So I changed my mind on that color. I decided to go Gloss Black. which actually turned out nice.
This is after only 2 coats:

So that's where it stands as of now. I would be closer to done but I had the freaking swine flu. So I ran into this site while dealing with the swine and now I saw an eclipse that was satin black or semi gloss black and I fell in love with the color. I originally wanted to go with a rat rod type look. So I think i'm going to ditch the hood for a cowl induction hood, lower the truck, put my rims on and go satin black. This time I'm going to use an electric sprayer though. It's getting cooler and I want it done.

Any suggestions or comments are encouraged. It's my first time painting, but I think it turned out good. My dad and his neighbors were laughing at the idea, but after the second coat dried they all changed their tunes.
mikeychalupa
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 93 S10 3rd color change. Ongoing project!

Post by RoboGeek on October 11th 2009, 3:20 pm

looks like your on the right track..

And yeah.. its getting too freaking cold too fast this year.. brrrrr

Oh well.. ski season soon!!
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 11th 2009, 4:56 pm

Electric sprayers are fine but watch out because they put out a LOT of paint,at least the ones I have used did. A bit of practice first on your old hood first would be advised Smile, especially if its your first time. Spraying is not as easy as it looks but I have seen a lot of first time jobs that looked good. Just practice a bit because with the satin paint you can't sand out problems.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top