Hello from Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Florida

Post by turbodreams on October 11th 2009, 5:21 pm

I'm Chris, I drive a 1994 Nissan Maxima GXE which I am aiming to make into a 30mpg daily driver and at the same time be able to take it to the track and put down a 12-14 second quarter mile. I am currently in the process of grinding off excess metal on the front fenders and obviously the paint isn't liking that one bit so I'm trying to get together a plan to paint the fender by friday . My car is pebble beige but I'm looking to get a bluish silver color which is similar to a color Nissan used to use on the Maxima and 300ZX and probably more cars that I don't know about. I need to acquire paint locally due to my time constraints and I don't have but $50 to my name and half of it is going in the gas tank this week but thank goodness I only need to paint one fender on this budget, the rest can come later. Any suggestions are welcome.
turbodreams
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Florida

Post by RoboGeek on October 11th 2009, 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forums!

If your trying to match existing paint, duplicolor is your best shot for cheap.

You could just primer the fender, and paint the entire car in spring!
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by turbodreams on October 11th 2009, 8:02 pm

Thanks, I got the same suggestion from another guy on a different forum but I've got plenty of experience with duplicolor products (engine, interior, caliper, etc.) and I'm just a little wary of them because they don't like to adhere to soft plastic. I worry that it would come off my bumpers in a matter of months but if I here of enough positive experiences it should be an easy choice.
turbodreams
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 12th 2009, 12:34 am

I have had pretty good luck with duplicolor on sheet metal but don't know about plastic. I think they make a plastic paint also tho. I know there is a primer that goes on plastic and regular paint goes over that.
If this is a temp thing I would just match the OEM paint with the duplicolor for $5 and call it good for now and paint later when you can afford it. How bad can it be for a few months. You don't want to leave metal in primer over the winter because primer is porus and moisture WILL go through it and create rust.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top