Add another one to the list

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Add another one to the list

Post by RSGScapri on October 14th 2009, 1:17 am

Hi all Very Happy

I first read about the roller paint method from the Mopar board and the orange Charger from years ago. I was intrigued but not sold on it.

Fast forward to the present day, I bought a budget project for this winter, an 85 Mercury Capri RS GS. (Mercury's version of the Mustang GT) I've been trying to decide over the last 2 months on how to go about having the car painted this winter, with me doing most of the prep work.

After several hours of reading this evening and eventually finding this forum, I've come to the conclusion that the roller paint job is best suited for my situation and project for many reasons. I'm very excited about it.

I look forward to spending some time on this forum this winter. I'll be sure to post pictures of the progress.

I do have one question... I wanted to paint the car orange, so has anyone found the right mixing formula using red and yellow from Brightside?

Thanks!
RSGScapri
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add another one to the list

Post by RoboGeek on October 14th 2009, 8:36 am

check out Safety Orange from Rustoleum - its what the Dukes of Hazzard car is. Love that color. I think there is a standard orange too

And welcome to the forum!
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RSGScapri on October 14th 2009, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

I was trying to avoid using the Rustoleum because I read the Brightside has a better finish.

PS: The General Lee was 75 Corvette Flame Red, also called Orange Flame.
RSGScapri
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on October 14th 2009, 1:30 pm

The paint used on these cars was Chrysler code EV2 or "Hemi Orange". Interiors not originally tan were sprayed with SEM brand "Saddle tan" vinyl dye.

But if you know the show well, when they first got the car and had it at Cooters, they painted it with leftover safety orange roadsign paint they had laying around - it was the only paint in the garage they had.

But they cheated and sprayed it.. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Lee
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RSGScapri on October 14th 2009, 4:15 pm

As your own link will tell you, Corvette Flame Red is the original color of LEE3 the real original LEE. Richard Sephton, who built the General Lees verified that the original car was picked out of a paint book and was in fact 1975 Corvette Flame Red. It was the most used color for the vehicles on the show and the most popular color used today in restorations. Safety Orange is close to GM Orange Flame.
RSGScapri
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top