The ultimate compliment - or insult!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The ultimate compliment - or insult!

Post by RoboGeek on November 1st 2009, 6:30 pm

My brother in law manages a NAPA store. He showed my car off to one of the paint reps, who refused to believe it. Well, he saw it in person saturday and still refuses to believe it was rolled on, even though I showed him the leftover paint, leftover rollers, stained roller handle, etc.

He thinks its some scam and the car was really sprayed!

I guess I would be mad for him calling me a liar if I wasn't so proud even a pro couldn't tell the diff!

And best of all - wifey is ok with painting the 2002 next year now!! More projects!!!! bounce
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The ultimate compliment - or insult!

Post by Pedroramosjr on November 2nd 2009, 5:20 pm

Hi RoboGreek,

My first post here, but I suppose that the paint rep was not so much surprised, but insulted by the fact that you were able to paint your car with off the shelf paint with fairly easy methods for the faction of the cost while still obtaining a professional result. I have found that some of these paint shop people often have an aristocratic attitude toward DIY methods, particularly when the results match or best the professional.
Pedroramosjr
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on November 2nd 2009, 7:27 pm

welcome to the forum!!

Yeah, he seemed really baffled at times, but I showed him spots where if you open the door and look behind the fender you can see runs that could never be caused by spraying. I had some pics printed out that showed the fender lip hanging almost 90 degrees from vertical where the lip rusted and he spend a lot of time trying to find where I blended my patch into the quarter panel. He was equally stunned that a fiberglass repair panel could look that good, until I showed him some ski's I made and showed him the intricacies of doing that - then a light bulb went off and he finally got it.

Its not like I slapped some bondo on a rust hole - I created an actual epoxy-glass based patch panel based on a mold. Thats why he couldn't find seams or ripples. And that lip is where he was looking for flaws and thats where he really seemed to no believe it was rolled. There are only a couple spots where the reflection is off a little and its actually a flaw in my wet sanding where I was very uneven. I haven't really gotten good at curvy surfaces - good thing I have a flat surfaced car!!

oh yeah.. if you have no clue.. heres my car in the project section if you haven't found it already

http://www.rolledon.com/projects-f2/my-winter-beater-toy-t383.htm
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 2nd 2009, 8:57 pm

Robo,
That is great. The best part is that the paint rep will be laying awake all night trying to figure out if you're scamming him or if it was really rolled....only the owner knows for sure... lol!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on February 26th 2010, 1:24 am

Pedroramosjr wrote:Hi RoboGreek,

My first post here, but I suppose that the paint rep was not so much surprised, but insulted by the fact that you were able to paint your car with off the shelf paint with fairly easy methods for the faction of the cost while still obtaining a professional result. I have found that some of these paint shop people often have an aristocratic attitude toward DIY methods, particularly when the results match or best the professional.
SO TRUE!!!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top