Roll on paint plus Wood grain finish

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roll on paint plus Wood grain finish

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 6th 2010, 2:44 pm

The reflection I am referring to looks like unevenness and smugges in the paint when in reality they are the reflection and shadows of the trees above. The only spot I am aware of any orange peel is in the upper corner of the hood and that is because I did not fully sand it out of the original paint which had some orange peel in it. When I get to painting the entire car I plan to address those corners. Where do think you see orange peel?
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 6th 2010, 3:14 pm

Maybe I'm seeing things. I agree it is shiny but the reflections on the right side and right front corner look blury to me. However, camera angle and lighting play tricks and I may be wrong. If you are happy with it , that is what counts.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on March 6th 2010, 6:33 pm

it looks blurry to me too. Maybe its the topside paint?
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 7th 2010, 4:30 am

It is hard to get good photos of black. Here are a few more, the last one is a close up but it started snowing again which is why all the spots. When the weather clears again I will try to get some better shots.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 7th 2010, 4:49 am

Here are the latest on my brothers Ranchero.
So far I have been able to do 12 coats on the hood and cab, while getting 8 coats on the rear quarter panels and 7 coats on the doors and front fenders. I am stopping at twelve coats on the top surfaces and will be stopping at 8 coats on the side panels. So, only one more coat on the doors and front fenders and then final wet sanding and polishing once the weather changes as it is snowing again.
Here it is as it sits after another dusting of snow. The weather has been crazy here lately, it will snow one day and the next couple days it will be sunny and 60 degrees then snow again.

That is not paint on the side view mirror, it is blue masking tape which is almost the same color as the Rust-Oleum Royal Blue.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 7th 2010, 4:02 pm

How are you sanding the final coat? Are you using a sanding block? If not you need to. The close up picture has orange peel. It is shiny but the reflection is not clear and I don't mean the spots. It should be like you are looking into a mirror in that picture. Maybe the orange peel is in fact gone but you need to go over it some more with a polishing compound this time.
That also has an effect on the final finish. I usually color sand up to 1500 grit and then buff with a course grit compound lightly and then the fine compound. Occasionally it will still look kinda blury but a final buff with a foam pad and polishing compound almost always taks care of that. Go to http://www.meguiarsonline.com and look at some of the finishes there. Of course those are pros but it gives us lesser people something to shoot for Laughing
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on March 7th 2010, 4:37 pm

I agree.. a little more work and that can be a mirror!

mine before it was polished the last time

On the lower left of this pic you can see where I had to do some more wet sanding. The cloud image shows all kinds of detail, where the roofline of my house blurs out. Its very shiny, but doesn't reflect even

RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 7th 2010, 7:39 pm

I agree, what also factors in is how dry the paint is at the time of polishing. I have found that waiting a couple weeks before polishing gives a much clearer shine. On the Black hood I polished it after 10 days and I think I really should have waited longer as the weather here has been pretty cold overall. I have been using 1500 grit for my final wet sand and I like the results of Meguiar's, I just did not have any at the time I polished it and did not feel like making a 60 mile round trip down and back up the mountain for no other purpose than to pick up some polish, so I went ahead and used the turtle wax polish I had on hand, with every intention of polishing it again once the paint has fully dried with some Meguiar's. I am very confident it will show clear when all is done. I really just wanted to show how impressed I was with the glossiness of the Rust-Oleum Topside which I have never used before and to know it also has U.V. protection and that I
can obtain it for the same price over the internet as I pay for the Regular Rust-Oleum in stores, I find it to be worth using again.

As for the Blue Ranchero, that is regular Rust-Oleum gloss Royal Blue, I have yer to do any final wet sanding or Polishing yet, I still have one more coat on the fender and doors to do then I will wet sand with 1500 and Polish. I think the Two tone turned out pretty good. It certainly looks much better than how it looked when it arrived here in mid January.

Now

The opinion that will count is the one of my brother, he has been wanting to repaint it but did not have the money to do so and then his engine gave out.

Now He really did not have the money for a repaint. Whitout saying I was going to paint it I asked about just going two tone with a lighter shade on top and leaving the bottom half, he liked the idea, but again stated he had no money to put towards paint. At this point he only thinks I have replaced the engine, he does not know that I painted the car. I am waiting until he picks it up to surprise him.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on March 7th 2010, 9:00 pm

Very cool
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 12:08 am

Is that a unmarked behind you!

Looks like you came to a sliding stop with the tire marks sliding through the grass.LOL!!!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 8th 2010, 12:43 am

I understand about the reflection now and what you were trying to show. It actually looks pretty good. I have seen worse factory jobs.

Stang, That was my first impression also. There has to be a story behind that Laughing
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 12:53 am

Squire Cobra Jet wrote:It is hard to get good photos of black.

In the first pic your right by trees and there casting a shadow "if you will" of the leaves and branches and there not letting in enough light to show the true clarity of your paint.

The second pic is again by a tree that looks to be blocking out light and shadowing the clarity again.

To capture what your trying to show you need to be out in the open in direct sunlight like this motorcycle I detailed and removed all swirls from the paint.

Trying to give you something to go by, the first pic is in my garage and using my dual xenon light (when turned on and pointed at the surface it shows you what your eyes alone can't see without the light or like being out in direct sunlight-which shows everything). In this pic you can see where I'm aiming the light to show all the swirls in the paint itself.(mostly from inproper washings) and on each side where the light isn't shining you don't see the swirls.

And then after all the polishing I put out in the direct sunlight to show the true condition of the paint and that all swirls was removed.

Hope this helps because the hood looks good but with all the trees it's hard to show your paints clarity and what your wanting us to see.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 8th 2010, 2:40 am

I know black not only shows all flaws it is also very hard to get good pictures of it. As I said before I am sure when I hit it again and the sun shows itself just right I can share the results and they will show well. As for the Picture from the Highway, that took place along Highway 101 between Santa Maria Solvang. I was headed South from my parents home to catch the Time Trial leg of the Tour of California when my front left tire blew out. That is an undercover CHP that happen to be behind me when the tie blew. That is when I discovered that any tires over four years old are dangerous regardless miles. CHP told me the same thing happened to another car the night before just a mile down the road and the driver overcorrected and flipped the car killing all four people in the car.
I feel pretty lucky I only ended up with a flat and a torn fender.
This picture was taken the day before the blowout.

Here is the damage

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 9:54 am

Hate to hear that about the fender but glad your alright!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 8th 2010, 1:21 pm

+2
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 8th 2010, 4:38 pm

I am just glad to know about the old tire issues, I had always thought an old tire was one that was 15-20 years old with cracks in side walls, what I learned is, any tire over four years old regardless of wear is prone to blow out as a result of the tire braking down from the inside. From what I have been told and also later read is the newer tires are made with more environmentally friendly compounds that brake down much faster than the old compounds which will cause the tire come apart.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 8th 2010, 7:38 pm

What you say may be true (dam EPA outlawing anything that works good). I know tires are made in several steps and the tread is put on last. They are NOT one piece as many believe. That is why you see so many "road snakes" on the highway Laughing They are the retread part comming off the carcus. That looks like what happened to your tire, the tread came off the carcus and then it blew out. Be glad that is all that happened .

I had a rear wheel come off an old VW bug after a mechanic worked on it and didn't torque the axel nut. Luckly it was late at night and there was a wide shoulder. I was doing about 50mph at the time and rolled for, it seemed forever. When the wheel came off it took the brake drum with it of course so no brakes but there sure was a shower of sparks. Never did find the wheel.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 8th 2010, 8:33 pm

retired plumber wrote:What you say may be true (dam EPA outlawing anything that works good). I know tires are made in several steps and the tread is put on last. They are NOT one piece as many believe. That is why you see so many "road snakes" on the highway Laughing They are the retread part comming off the carcus. That looks like what happened to your tire, the tread came off the carcus and then it blew out. Be glad that is all that happened .

I had a rear wheel come off an old VW bug after a mechanic worked on it and didn't torque the axel nut. Luckly it was late at night and there was a wide shoulder. I was doing about 50mph at the time and rolled for, it seemed forever. When the wheel came off it took the brake drum with it of course so no brakes but there sure was a shower of sparks. Never did find the wheel.

Mike

I had very close to the same thing happen a few years ago. I was too busy to do my own brakes so I took my 1973 Ranchero 500 into a shop to have the front brakes done. I thought this should have been an in and out job and I would have the car back the next day. It did not happen that way. After two weeks of excuses and delays they call me up late one day(already dark) to pick up the car, I go and pick it up and on the way home I notice the Windshield is broken, As soon as I got home I called the shop and they admit it was broken while there and for me to bring the car back the next day. While driving back to the shop which was 2 miles from my home I notice a strange vibration and wobble and I start to pull to the curb when my left front wheel comes off and my car slams to the ground. Damaged rotor and fender. I am lucky I did not need to take the freeway to get to the shop. The shop forgot to tighten the lug nuts. It took over six months but the shop did end up paying for the damages.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 13th 2010, 2:26 am

I have had a crazy 24 hours. Yesterday I went outside and found that an animal with claws had climbed onto the hood of my 1972 Ranchero GT 4 speed, the one I just painted Black. Being the car was parked on a steep driveway the animal must have been slipping around and scratched the hell out of the hood. So I sanded it down again and applied a coat yesterday and another one today, I think I will apply another two coats and evaluate at that time if it will need more.

As for my Brother's Ranchero. I finished applying the paint. 12 coats on the hood and cab and 8 coats on the side. While I am waiting for the paint to harden a little before final wet sanding and polish I installed some trim on the tailgate which required removing about 60 screws from the inner panel and cap in order to install the Ford Emblem. After I finished installing the Emblem on the Tailgate I decided I would install his bed cover for him today. While I was in the bed installing the mounting brackets for the bed cover the car slipped into gear while parked on the steep driveway and rolled back with me in the bed. I was lucky my 1973 Squire was parked in front of it otherwise I would have rolled down another 100 feet or so and across the street into a gully and ended up against an Oak tree. As for the car, the tailgate was down at the time it rolled and hit the rear bumper of My 1973 Squire. Myself and my Squire came through with no damage but the tailgate of my brother's Ranchero did not do so well. It appears the Column shifter on My brothers is a little loose and even with the parking brake engaged it still popped into gear and rolled backwards on the slope of the driveway. Well, here are a few pictures taken with a cell phone camera.

Tailgate coming to rest against bumper.

Damage to tailgate

Now I get to look for another tailgate and paint it.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on March 13th 2010, 2:46 am

That really sucks, I would have said many bad words and made up some new ones...
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 13th 2010, 3:03 am

Yesterday I posted that you were on a roll, today it was me that was on a whole other kind of roll burnout ahhh affraid
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 13th 2010, 2:12 pm

Glad your OK though, that could have turned out bad.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on March 13th 2010, 2:25 pm

those fords had a problem with the shifter. If you left it idling, it would often slip into reverse and end up on americas funniest home videos.

My old ford wagon did it all the time. Its the parking pawl in the tranny thats bad
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 13th 2010, 4:36 pm

RoboGeek wrote:those fords had a problem with the shifter. If you left it idling, it would often slip into reverse and end up on americas funniest home videos.

My old ford wagon did it all the time. Its the parking pawl in the tranny thats bad
I really thought it was the shift lever itself developing too much slack over the years.

Other than regular maintenance and pulling them out and installing them I have never worked on the inside of an Automatic transmission. Can the parking pawl be repaired without having to dropped or rebuild the entire transmission?
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 15th 2010, 9:15 am

My 63 Falcon did that. It was a combination of the shilt lever (column shift C4 Auto) being wore out and the detent plate in the column also being wore out. Replaced them both and it's like a brand new column. Also if the column bearing gets worn where you start to get a lot of play that will also make it pop out of gear. I still, out of habit always use the E brake. Better safe then sorry.

Not sure what tranny you have but this may be of some help, this is a buddy of mine out west:
http://www.redfalken.com/pages/c4.html
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content