Roll on paint plus Wood grain finish

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roll on paint plus Wood grain finish

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 15th 2010, 1:04 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:My 63 Falcon did that. It was a combination of the shilt lever (column shift C4 Auto) being wore out and the detent plate in the column also being wore out. Replaced them both and it's like a brand new column. Also if the column bearing gets worn where you start to get a lot of play that will also make it pop out of gear. I still, out of habit always use the E brake. Better safe then sorry.

Not sure what tranny you have but this may be of some help, this is a buddy of mine out west:
http://www.redfalken.com/pages/c4.html

Thanks!
It is a small block c-6 transmission.
I always use the E-brake. My driveway is pretty steep, but what I have found and it applies to this car, is that some cars will still roll backwards even if the e-brake is applied. I have blocks under the wheels now.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 15th 2010, 5:12 pm

Its all in the design of the brakes. The e-brake pulls on one shoe that wedges it in the forward direction only. Of course, the harder you pull, the tighter it gets but still if the hill is steep enough there can be that "oh #$@@^" moment. I've seen cars where the back wheels were locked by the e-brake and when pulled with a chain, scraped rubber off the tires but they could be pushed backwards by hand. A block is a good idea.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on March 27th 2010, 1:21 am

Well, I finished up on my brother's 1974 Ranchero GT. I had no luck finding a replacement tailgate, so until I do, I went ahead and pulled out the dent in the old one as best I could do. I do not have experience in dent pulling but I think I did alright with what I had to work with.
The top trim cap is still banged up but I got most of the damage out of the tailgate itself and used the can of touch up paint of the original color I found in the car to fill in around the top edge that had been damaged.

Here is the car after paint and polishing.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 27th 2010, 2:10 am

Looks great squire, one day I will have a 70' or 72' Ranchero GT!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 11th 2010, 9:07 pm

While visiting my Parents back in back in April and May I replaced a damaged door and repainted the 1973 Ranchero 500 Cobra Jet that belongs to the family that works for my parents.
Here is what it looked like after a neighbor backed into the driver door.

I replaced the door and painted it using 6 coats of rust-Oleum Gloss Black mixed with 50% Mineral spirits and then 6 coats of Rust-Oleum Topside Gloss Black mixed with 50% Mineral Spirits.
Here it is after 12 coats and before final wet sanding.

The son of the owner took the car out of town before I could get to the final wet sanding and polish.
Now I am back in town visiting my parents again and the owners son has come back into town so I have been able to start on the final wet sanding, polish and now that it has been a few months waxing as well.
Here is the tailgate sanded, polished and waxed. I hope to get to finish the rest before I leave for home at the end of the week.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on July 11th 2010, 9:12 pm

Very cool. Welcome!

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 12th 2010, 12:24 am

Thanks for providing the site!
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 14th 2010, 2:13 am

Well. I got the passenger side polished and waxed, now I just need to do the top and the driver side.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 19th 2010, 3:25 am

Here is a better picture of the Passenger side.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 21st 2010, 8:17 am

great ride...love the aluminum slots with the black walls, really looks good!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 21st 2010, 5:13 pm

I finally was able to get to the driver side to finish it up. I had to do some touch up paint on the rear quarter panel so it did not get waxed.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 1st 2010, 2:57 am

I am back home and on to the next project.
I actually started this one before I went out of town, but now I am home to finish it.

This is my 1972 Ranchero GT 4 speed Cobra Jet. I just rebuilt the engine so I thought it was time to address the body issues. The original hood I replaced because of rust around the edges and the replacement hood was going to need to be painted to match the car and then last year I had a blow out that damaged the driver side fender as well as there being a few other small dings that needed to be addressed.
Here is what the fender looked like after the blow out.

I was going to replace the fender, and when I went to pull it I decided to go ahead and see if I can pull out the part that folded completely under. To my surprise not only was I able to pull it back out I was able to repair it and reuse the fender.

I decided to switch from the White paint job that was on the car when I bought it to a gloss black finish.

The first eight coats were done with a 3-2-1 combination of Rust-Oleum Gloss Black, mineral spirits, and Penitrol. Original finish was wet sanded with 400 grit and then the car was wet sanded between every two coats. I start with 400 grit and progress up in grit to 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and a final wet sanding with 2000 before applying polish which brings out the shine.
I will over lap the progression in the use of the sand paper. The first wet sanding after new paint will be 400, the next sanding will be 400 followed by 600 and the next sanding will be 600 followed by 800 and so on.

Here is what it looked like after 6 coats.

After 8 coats I switched to using the Rust-Oleum Topside brand Gloss Black again mixed with 3 parts paint, 2 parts Mineral spirits, and 1 part Penitrol, which is a product that helps to prevent brush or roller marks in paint when it dries. The Topside brand has a higher gloss than the regular Rust-Oleum and also has U.V. protection. The topside cost more than the regular Rust-Oleum which is why I don't use it for all the coats.

Here it is after 10 coats.

Here it is after 14 coats and polish. I only have finished the passenger side rear quarter and door. The front fender is sanded waiting to be polished.

Here is a close up, that is the reflection of the Cyclone GT parked next to it.

I ran out of Polish and I will finish polishing it as soon as I get some more polish. I like using Meguiars Ultimate compound which I can't find on the Mountain and will have drive down the Mountain to get more. I also still have to do the door jams, bed and bed cover, and I am planing some stripes for the hood center and along the sides. I will post more photos as I progress.

The '68 Mustang Convertible in the background is my next paint project, I started with a Gloss Deep Green in the Topside brand But I plan on mixing in some Black to take it to a darker finish.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on August 2nd 2010, 10:01 pm

Looks good!

I have to ask. How many Ranchero's do you and your family have?

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 89
Job/hobbies : DHS
Project : 1973 Opel GT
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 3rd 2010, 1:36 am

I have 4, my son 1, my brother 2 and now the Family that works for my Parents have 1 that I found for them.
I also have the following
1968 Mustang Convertible (my next paint project)
1968 Thunderbird
1971 Mercury Cyclone GT ( the yellow car in the reflection of the Ranchero)
1973 Mercury Cougar Convertible( one of the very last Cougar Convertibles to come off the Assembly line)
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 4th 2010, 1:46 pm

It looks really nice.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 5th 2010, 8:31 am

Are you a Ford guy??? lol! That is a very impessive fleet you got there. One old car is hard enough to keep on the road I can't imagine having as many as you have.
Thanks for the great pics or your latest Chero.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 13th 2010, 12:54 am

I still have not gone down the mountain yet to pick up some more Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
I went ahead and collected the four other polishes I had on hand and tested them side by side on the hood. What I found was all four polishes seem to give different results, two left very cloudy finishes but did a very good job of leaving a clean smooth surface, one was less cloudy and had a better shine but did not do much in the way of cleaning the surface and the last polish I tested left a very clear finish and shine but also did not seem to do much in the way of cleaning like the first two polishes. All polishing was done by hand as my buffer is broken. I ended up finishing the polish job on the driver side and hood by going two rounds with the turtle wax polishing compound which seems to do the best job at cleaning the surface followed by one coat of Meguiar's Scratch X2, which did a good job at cleaning up minor surfaces scratches from sanding. Next I went with one coat of Meguiar's Deep Crystal polish which improved the clearness of the finish but not very glossy. the final coat of polish I applied was Duragloss 101 which really gave it a clear glossy finish.

None of these polishes would have done a very good job on their own but using them together I ended up with a decent finish. Meguiar's Ultimate compound which I used on the passenger side as well as other cars I have painted with a roller by far does the best job and better than all four of the other polishes I used to finish the job. What I might do in the future is use the Turtle Wax polishing compound for the first go around and then finish up with the Meguiar's Ultimate compound.
I went out to take more picture of the completed polish job and the batteries went out on my camera, so I ended up taking some pictures with my cell phone which does not take very good pictures. I will post the cell phone pictures now and take some better ones with my camera as soon as I pick up some new batteries.

Close up reflection on door.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 13th 2010, 12:57 pm

That turned out very nice, I also found Meguiar's Ultimate compound to be the best all around
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 15th 2010, 10:10 pm

I picked up some new batteries for my camera and here are some new pictures. I still have to paint the bed and cover ans well as I plan on side and hood stripes, but I am going to wait a few weeks before applying the stripes.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 24th 2010, 12:59 am

I finally obtained some more Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and applied some to the panels that did not get some the first go around. It really is far better than anything else I have tried to date.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 24th 2010, 10:17 am

looks great thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster