Sup My Rolled On HOMIES!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sup My Rolled On HOMIES!!!!!!!

Post by Focus_rolld on February 18th 2010, 5:23 pm

Hi everyone my name is Jake and I have wanted to a rolled on paint job for a long time now. Everyone I know criticizes me for wanting to paint this way.
My plans are to paint my 2002 Focus SE Olive Drab Green Using TopSecret Brand Super Marine Camo Paint. I am having issues trying to figure out how many quarts I would need to do 3 coats on my car. I dont know if I will need to thin this paint either
Hopefully i can contribute to this forum in a constructive manor.
Focus_rolld
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : Unemployed /Enjoys My car and Girls :D
Project : 2002 Ford Focus Sedan
Registration date : 2010-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sup My Rolled On HOMIES!!!!!!!

Post by retired plumber on February 18th 2010, 8:00 pm

Welcome Jake. I've never heard of that paint so I can't give you any advice on amount. Is it going to be one color or will it have more like the real camo ?
Good luck. I'm sure others will be along and may be more help.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on February 18th 2010, 8:45 pm

never heard of it either.. got a link to a website? (too lazy to google tonight..)
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Focus_rolld on February 19th 2010, 12:35 pm

The link to the Pain I will be using is Here

I am going a single color for ease of application. It will be a lusterless finish. According to the information from their link, It will roll 400^2 Feet Per Gallon.
I have read that with a satin finish you are not supposed to wet sand as it adds gloss to the finish.
Focus_rolld
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on February 19th 2010, 12:47 pm

You can't wetsand the final coat because then it will break the finish. By that I mean sanding makes fine scratches and degrades the finish and maked it look like primer. The bad thing about this is the surface will now be rough and help hold dirt and road tar to the surface. It may feel smooth but it isn't. Also it would be very hard to get the sanding even and it would look spotty and then you would have to buff it and then it would be glossy. Satin, while not having a shine, per say, has a unbroken surface. I hope that made sense.
Mike

Last edited by retired plumber on February 19th 2010, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Focus_rolld on February 19th 2010, 12:51 pm

Yes it makes perfect sense. My Friend told me that when he used Satin Rustoleum he rubbed his hood down with a Wool Pad, would that help at all to smooth the finish?
So if I wetsand the first and second coat and dont wet sand the final coat do you think it would make a difference?or should I skip all of the wet sanding of the coats
Focus_rolld
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on February 19th 2010, 1:25 pm

Wet sand all you want . It's just the last coat you can't. In fact the next to last coat has to be as smooth as you can get it to minamise the orange peel. Orange peel builds up and gets worse with each coat. Thats why you sand after every 2 coats. You could sand after every 3rd or 4th if you wanted but bottom line is while every 2 coats is more work time wise , it is a lot easier sanding.
Steel wool will take the shine away only. To kill orange peel you have to use a hard backed sanding block. Op, like its name, is a bunch of hills and valleys and you need to sand down TO the valleys. Hard will do this and soft like steel wool or your hand or sponge will just follow the contour of the paint. Thats fine if the op is already gone but not what we need here.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Focus_rolld on February 19th 2010, 1:38 pm

Mike I appreciate you answering the questions I have. I have another question though, How noticeable is OP in a flat finish?

Edit: I just had an idea ... if I wet sand the final coat then wool pad the whole thing would that be counter productive? cause it would take out the OP then take the gloss away also right?
Focus_rolld
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on February 19th 2010, 2:28 pm

I don't know about your first ? because I don't care for flat/satin and have never done any. Other people like it and hopefully they will answer your ?

I wouldn't touch the last coat. You dont want to mess with the finished surface and cause any breaks in it. It is a sealed surface and any scratches will allow dirt and water in. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Also I would think trying to get an even look would be a problem but that (to me) would be secondary.

If you want, go ahead and do what your final sand and steel wool thing and see how you like it. If you don't , then put on one more coat and leave it alone. Its only paint, not the end of the world. LOL

The satin finish is actually caused by the pigments and chemicals in the paint not allowing it to reflect light.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Focus_rolld on February 19th 2010, 2:46 pm

Oh ok that makes sense , I think I will deal with how ever my final coat turns out . I dont want to mess it up . thank you again for your time
Focus_rolld
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on February 19th 2010, 4:51 pm

Your welcome. I know how you want it to come out perfect the first time because so do I but.......... I have been painting cars for 40+ years as a hobby and know a lot but I still screw up.

Like I tell them here, its only paint. If you don't like it, put on more paint and then sand some more. Most of the people here have never done this before and have pretty good results. Sanding is a lot of work and time consuming and cheap but that is the tradeoff for a high dollar paint job. Even the "cheap' ones start at $1500 if you want anything done right and a desent looking job.

My ex-father-in-law took a mini truck to one and they scuffed, masked and painted. He picked it up the NEXT day. Looked good from 5 ft but they didn't fix any rock chips or even dewax it. Within a week the paint was peeling off. He went back and raised hell but they told him he "didn't buy the delux job" and tough. He still spent $750. The delux job was $1500 and they dewaxed and removed the bumpers for that. yes, there wasn't any paint behind the bumpers and you see it from the side. His truck was blue but they used their synthetic enamel paint which came in 55 gal drums and was either a light or dark in whatever color (red,blue etc) you had. There was no attempt to match the color and you sure could see it when you opened the door. They didn't do the jambs or under the trunk either. That would have been even more $

Have fun while you roll and SAVE MONEY.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 19th 2010, 8:30 pm

Jake...welcome to the forum...don't listen to your friends, think of all of the cash you're going to save doing a rolled job, enough to get a second car lol!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content