test

View previous topic View next topic Go down

test

Post by stang_krazy on February 27th 2010, 12:23 am

This is just one of my old SS test hoods, was trying to fiqure out how to post pics up on this forum.

You have to make each pic 800 pixs or it wont upload right?

Also why is it when I bring over a pic and post it, it doesn't show, just the link until a push send?

And tried both the host an image & insert image, and finally got it with insert image but what's the difference

Sorry this was a bad pic

OK went back and got a good pic this time. As you can see this hood was in pretty bad shape. Got off of a buddy that owns a used car lot. This hood came off of a 90's S-10 and was a repaint, hood was from a repo and junked. Hood sat behind a old building for I believe he said for about 10 years. I think the cheap sand paper I used was probably older then the hood LOL!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: test

Post by retired plumber on February 27th 2010, 11:06 am

Can't help with the picture thing but you figured it out fine.
Did you paint the hood before buffing or just buff? Anyway the test spot looks amazing.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on February 27th 2010, 12:43 pm

Here's the whole write-up I did mike, been awhile and I though I used some old sand paper on this test but guess not. After looking at the test again got another laugh when I seen the 3M paper. LOL

Hope you like the test and can't wait to start doing these things again, been out of detailing a couple years with the change in jobs and have a chance to get back into it so going to have somemore fun with detailing and now this new roll on painting!

http://www.showcardetailing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 1st 2010, 2:36 pm

I have always used wool pads. Just purchased some foam pads. I was told when using the foam pads to slow the rpm's way down to between 900-1200 and spray a mist of water on the pad to keep it cool. Any tips or suggestions? I'm using a Dewalt DW849 polisher.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 1st 2010, 2:41 pm

Good question.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 4:40 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:I have always used wool pads. Just purchased some foam pads. I was told when using the foam pads to slow the rpm's way down to between 900-1200 and spray a mist of water on the pad to keep it cool. Any tips or suggestions? I'm using a Dewalt DW849 polisher.

Went over to find this thread it has some of the best infomation by some of the best detailer out there on priming the wool and foam pads.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28806

Also this article my mike phillips,
"Priming is usually done for cutting pads using a quick detailer like Quik Detailer and usually when using a rotary buffer, not a DA Polisher and that's because bringing a coarse, DRY foam pad spinning at around 1500 RPM onto dry paint will heat the paint up very quickly and there's the potential for burning the paint.

With a DA Polisher the pad is oscillating and the action is gentle and at this time we don't recommend using a cutting pad so that leaves just our soft polishing and finishing pads thus little or ZERO potential for burning he paint and therefore no need to prime the pad with a mist & wipe product like Quik Detailer.

Some people also prime their pads with the chemical they're going to be using with the pad for a host of great reasons Kevin Brown addressed."

Hope this helped.

I've always used the foam pads(like the fact that if I'm using my DA with the cutting pad and it's just not doing the job I will grab my makita and switch the pad over to it to do the correcting and then switch the pad back to the DA) and always spray a couple mist of last touch onto my pad, but not to comfortable with some of the wool pads out there,just what I've got used to. Also I like to use the foam cutting pad with say an aggressive cleaner/polish (with a hard finish or if in bad shape)and then step down to a polishing pad while still using the same cleaner/polish (have dedicated pads for each product) or if having great results I sometimes will still use a cleaner/polish but with a finer cutting ability still using a foam polishing pad.I like the use of a cleaner/polish because of the polishing oils that penetrate into the paint and replaces the resins(oils) that have been broken down or deteriorated over time and then go straight to my 2 coats of LSP(last step products-waxes/sealants)

Some times this is more work but I do like to use the least aggressive way, It's always easyer to grab a more aggressive pad or product then to have to repaint.

I know I've been writing alot but just trying to get more traffic on here, and some action/posting I think it can become a great site!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content