POWDER COATED LT1 INTAKE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POWDER COATED LT1 INTAKE

Post by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 5:20 pm

This is a LT1 intake I powder coated for a buddy at work about 2 1/2 years ago, any ways this pic is after I already had it soaking in my parts washer for a couple days and glass beaded and then a bake off, prep and wiped down ready for the ribs on the top of intake to be polished.

These two pictures is after I sanded them starting with 80grit, then up with 120grit, moved on up again with 220grit and then 320grit and again up to 400grit and last with 600grit to try and get it as smooth as possible. As you can see if you look closely the ribs in these two pictures aren't as smooth in the finished intake because I had a little learning practice, the top of the intake was to close to the top of the burners on my stove and turned the clear yellow, sooo! I had to cut off the powder coated clear with a razor blade and resand starting with the 320grit and moved up to the 600grit and the out come was much better.

And this picture is with the polished ribs taped off with high temp powder coating tape so when I powder coat the intake I wont get the red powder on the ribs that I've already sanded and polish twice.LOL!!! And also because I don't want to have
the powder coating to cure to the ribs.

And this is in the my oven (my stove in my garage just for powder coating ONLY)

The next two pictures are after I already cured the intake and applied a coat of clear over the whole intake to help lock in the
shine and make sure it will stay this way for a very long time!!!!!

Now everything has cooled down after about an hour or so and the taped removed

Hope you guys like as much as I did doing this. Was getting into powder coating pretty good but had a change in plans and sold my blast cabinet powder coating equipment stove and my 2 makitas rotaries, stand with my polishing buffer that I polished bare metal to a mirror like shine (have a couple pics will post in alittle while) but you get the idea. Got a new job and needed to spend more time with my family, spent way to much time in the garage after-at the time spending 8 hours at work detailing and polishing fuel tanks- full fenders and rims on coal trucks. ( have some post on this as well)

Anyway after about 2 years off and out of the seen I am slowly buying new detailing equipment back (my new makita should be in, in a couple more days) and need toget off my butt and go get them test hoods. LOL!!

Last edited by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POWDER COATED LT1 INTAKE

Post by retired plumber on March 1st 2010, 5:32 pm

Cool. Are you going to leave the rest just rough blasted with polished ribs or paint the rest?
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 5:45 pm

retired plumber wrote:Cool. Are you going to leave the rest just rough blasted with polished ribs or paint the rest?
Mike
Sorry about that still trying to get used to this format, here they are. Above LOL!!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 1st 2010, 5:59 pm

No problem stang. Only one pix when I asked the question.LOL.

That looks nice thumbs up That looks like a regular kitchen type stove right? If so anyone wanting to try this, DON'T USE THE STOVE YOU COOK YOUR FOOD ON dumb . Get a old one from the second hand store and use that insted.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 6:25 pm

retired plumber wrote:No problem stang. Only one pix when I asked the question.LOL.

That looks nice thumbs up That looks like a regular kitchen type stove right? If so anyone wanting to try this, DON'T USE THE STOVE YOU COOK YOUR FOOD ON dumb . Get a old one from the second hand store and use that insted.
Mike
Yeah. Definitely don't use a stove that you cook from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also my research on the powder coating guns was the harbor freight gun is better then the cheaper hot coat gun that I was using, And always wear a respirator!!!! when spraying the powder and don't set/stand by the stove while baking/curing your part/s without a respirator!!!You don't want to be breathing in the fumes from the VOC that's being burn off.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content