POLISHING A STAINLESS STEEL WING & ALUMINUM FULL FENDER

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POLISHING A STAINLESS STEEL WING & ALUMINUM FULL FENDER

Post by stang_krazy on March 1st 2010, 6:04 pm

This is a turbo wing off of a tractor that is about 9 years old and never cleaned or cared for and what does about to stainless steel under these condition, but showing you that you can bring it back out.

Used a rotary and a s&m wool cutting pad with mothers cream polish at the time and some mineral spirits.

This picture is after I already polished from the bracket down, and from the bracket up gave me problems because of the sun beating down on it all these years and not being taken care of.

This is the finished backside and much better, I believe I spent about 3 hours or so just on the back of this wing.

Thought I would show from a distance.

And here's the before picture of the front of the wing.

This picture is of a section that I worked on for about an hour and a half, spent I think about 4 hours total on the front. And was the hardest metal I've polished so for.

Here's the front of the wing finished and with a mirror shine!

Thought I would just go ahead and post up an aluminum full fender on a big rig I also did. The frist picture is of me standing on the back looking down to get both fenders, as you can see I will be doing the fender on the left side and you can see that I've been doing test spots on it with 3 different aluminum polishes from some of the truckers that come in from time to time to get their truck worked on and come over to where I'm at to show me what type of metal polish they have to test it. And this day was perfect because as your about to see I was doing the fender. Anyway I'll stop writing a story and show pictures, but these aren't like my others with a before, during, and after because I was in a hurry at work.

Here's what I'm starting with.

And after about 3 hours or so of polishing.

And a outside picture of the wing back on and the fender.

This was back in 07' when I worked for a westernstar truck dealership detailing & polishing, hope you guys like this kind of work.

Last edited by stang_krazy on April 14th 2010, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POLISHING A STAINLESS STEEL WING & ALUMINUM FULL FENDER

Post by Sneke_Eyez on April 14th 2010, 2:20 pm

Awesome. I missed this before.
I love Western Star trucks. My buddy is currently on the fast track to owning a new rig and I'm pushing him toward a Star.
Sneke_Eyez
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Mopar Cars, Law, NFL (Go Patriots!), Computers.
Project : 1974 Dodge Dart Hardtop
Registration date : 2010-03-19

View user profile http://www.lhforums.net/forums/forum_index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on April 14th 2010, 10:30 pm

Hey Sneke_Eyez

Yeah they have more room in them that's for sure.

Out of all the trucks I've worke on there was one truck that when they got it in on a trade I couldn't wait to stripe it down and polish the viber red paint out and all the aluminum rims, full fenders, fuel tanks and stacks and so on, it ws a 379 pete long nose day cab and man did I like that truck.

I polished that paint out like I was polshing a show car, when I got finished I stood back and was proud of the job I did and I'm sure it showed.LOL! At that moment I think thats when I really started to like red, well bright red anyway. Sure whish I had taken pics of the whole process ahhh

By the way, I do fell bad because that truck was the biggest piece of junk that we got in the whole time I worked for them. I think that it sold because of how I made it look, the salesmen later told me that they only hauled one day or load with it because it stayed in the garage. Bet you it was the best looking truck in the garage though. lol!

Thanks for the reply.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content