Wet sanding clear coat peeling off

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wet sanding clear coat peeling off

Post by stang_krazy on March 4th 2010, 5:37 pm

This is a write-up I did over 2 years ago just thought some may like to see what I did to fix this sore spot!

I bought this truck badly used for cheap and been fixing up little by little as time and money allows.
Anyway this time it was the sore spot on the passenger sidedoor,the mirror.
As you can see, it looked bad! real bad!

Here you can see what I'm doing so I'll skip to what I was using. I mixed in some miguiars #oo hi-tech wash for lubricity and started out with 1500grit on the peeling clear coat that someone badly done.The 1500 wasn't getting some of the clear coat off because it was so thing I went down to 1200 grit and eased up on the pressure, but because off the thickly coated clear that was a bear to remove,at the front edge of the mirror(I know but that was the biggest problem area's)I hit it and you can see that this mirror was from a red ranger once upon a time .As I will show in the next few pictures.

After going over it with 1200 I switched to the 1500 but this picture you can see it still needed more, so started sanded more with the 1500, also here you can see at the front edge of the mirror where I went through and found red, And this was as far as I was going to sand down because of the paint just is really thin! And I didn't want a repet.

This is what I was using, some #83 a W8006 polishing pad and a G100.Went over the mirror with this step I believe 3 times before I was happy with the way it was turning out so far.

As you can see here at the part that connects to the door edge that this was far as I could go or was going to go at this time.

This is my next plane of attack! Good ol' #80 (LOVE THIS STUFF)with the W8006 polishing pad and pc.

It's been awhile since I did this and I believe that this step was with 4 applications.

This shot is up close to show that this isn't perfect but an improvment over what I started with

After I finished I got to thinking what a mess I've made out of my truck that was cleaned!

Here's the before and after again, I know it's not perfect but as you can see alot better. Have some clear coat coming off my cherokee and I might try this again just to see if I can get the same results, if so will post up.

BEFORE

AFTER
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet sanding clear coat peeling off

Post by retired plumber on March 4th 2010, 5:50 pm

You sanded clear through the clear, right? I always thought base coat couldn't be buffed and needed the clear to make the shine. All the base coat I have painted has had a satin sheen to it. How did you address that?

Love the outcome and if you don't need clear on base how about the uv stuff?
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 4th 2010, 7:15 pm

retired plumber wrote:You sanded clear through the clear, right? I always thought base coat couldn't be buffed and needed the clear to make the shine. All the base coat I have painted has had a satin sheen to it. How did you address that?

Love the outcome and if you don't need clear on base how about the uv stuff?
Mike

Well that's a good question, it's been over 2 years now and it's still pretty much the same as when I did this. Like I stated I bought this truck in really bad shape and I had to do alot of work to it, replace the left side head-remove carpet and sprayed it down with purple power and then scrubed on certain areas several times and then used my pressure washer and then my LGM to get all the grease and oil stains out.(have another post on it if your interseted in seeing it)

Also this is a SS black 95 ford ranger splash with the green splash stickers(I hate decals and stickers on paint) and so I removed the passenger side decals and tailgate no problem, then started "TRYING" to remove the decals on the drivers side. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDDING ME !!!! They clear coated over the SS piant&decals!(from the front fender to the back of the extended cab) Man did I have a hard time getting it removed. Then posted on showcradetailing asking for any idea's for what they would do to try to improve this, No replys. LOL!!!

Anyway I started to wetsand with 1500 and trying to feather it down around the edge where the splash decal was to not show as much. Not enough so went down to 1200 grit and focused on the edges trying to stay off the SS, man did they go heavy on spraying the clear. Can't remember how long I sanded but was stopping every 20 sec or so sanding on an area of about 18'' long and checking so I didn't go to far down. Never got through the clear just better it so you couldn't tell unless you got right up to it in the direct sunlight.

Anyways I've always did things like this because I didn't have much money to go out and pay someone to do it for me but even if I did I still wouldn't because I have fun in doing things that most every one says that is to far gone to try to fix or past hope! LOL, so I had to make the best out of what I had. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as I've been doing things like this I've missed up pretty bad on some things but for the most part I've had some great results and love the learning experience plus alot of so called professionals don't know as much as they think or have never tried something but they still give their opinion.

Mike, that's one reason why I like test's and playing around with things so I have some experience and to see just how far I can go with a product or techniques. And about the base coat, I don't know I just started polishing it.Hate to give you an answer like this but I really don't know, I thought the same way too but it's been 2 years and it's the same as when I got finished.(my brother n law has the truck now, he's bringing it down for me to change oil and trans fluid and I will spray the mirror down w/a detailer and take another pic and show you the outcome so far) Like I said my black 96 jeep cherokee has some clear coat failure on the horizontal surfaces and I will be trying the same steps on it to see what will become of it good or bad.

I think I'm going to try the roll on method on the horizontal area's after I do a couple test hoods and learn the technique. Sorry I'm writing you a book just got to typing out loud. LOL!
LATER
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 4th 2010, 9:23 pm

I appreciate your answer but as I see it your truck is black so there is no metallic.

I do know you can sand and polish solid colors no problem. However, you can't do that with metallic because the metallic particles need the c.c. protection or they will degrade quickly. If that is the case then you will be good to go as long as there is no metallic. My only concern would be not having UV protection but as I understand it , if it is kept waxed there will be no problem.

I don't mind books, in fact I send a lot my self. Sometimes you need to do that to explain your self or get your idea across so people will understand what you are TRYING to tell them.

I have never had an abundance of money to spend either but then I like working with my hands and doing things. There is a certain pride in being able to say "I did it myself". I don't have a project at this time (my garage is full of the kid's stuff) so I am sandblasting glass beer mugs with car logos and sayings on them to sell on etsy.com . My avatar is one of my creations I blasted on a mug and copies are for sale also. To me its really neat to unmask a glass and have it look perfect. Just as good as unmasking a car after you have done some trick paint on it. I love it cheers

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 4th 2010, 9:25 pm

I would love to see your interior clean stuff also.

Another ? if you don't mind. What do you do when you are buffing good c.c. and go through to base coat. I mean I'm not a pro and have color sanded through the clear and not realized before and when I buffed I could see the edge of the clear no matter what I did. I would end up reclearing that panel. How would you deal with that?

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 5th 2010, 12:22 am

retired plumber wrote:I would love to see your interior clean stuff also.

Another ? if you don't mind. What do you do when you are buffing good c.c. and go through to base coat. I mean I'm not a pro and have color sanded through the clear and not realized before and when I buffed I could see the edge of the clear no matter what I did. I would end up reclearing that panel. How would you deal with that?

Mike
Hey mike you lost me when you started talking about metallic, went over my head help my truck is single stage.

I'll post up the carpet cleaning as soon as I can tomorrow or when my little boy will let me. LOL!!

I have never had an abundance of money to spend either but then I like working with my hands and doing things. There is a certain pride in being able to say "I did it myself". I don't have a project at this time (my garage is full of the kid's stuff) so I am sandblasting glass beer mugs with car logos and sayings on them to sell on etsy.com . My avatar is one of my creations I blasted on a mug and copies are for sale also. To me its really neat to unmask a glass and have it look perfect. Just as good as unmasking a car after you have done some trick paint on it. I love it
We are alot alike on working with our hands, and my garage is full of my little boy and girls power wheels and toys also!

And about buffing through CC. I haven't yet, but was buffing a front bumper once and hit the grill and bounced back and it removed a small round spot of paint, the only thing I could do was touch it up with about 4 or 5 light coats.

You it got it right, that's the only thing you can do. Repaint, I hope neither one of does it again but were not perfect.
Gotto go it's 11.20pm right now and just now getting ready to eat my lunch, been busy all day talk at you tomorrow.
LATER
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 5th 2010, 11:36 am

[/quote]Here you can see what I'm doing so I'll skip to what I was using. I mixed in some miguiars #oo hi-tech wash for lubricity and started out with 1500grit on the peeling clear coat that someone badly done.The 1500 wasn't getting some of the clear coat off because it was so thing I went down to 1200 grit and eased up on the pressure, but because off the thickly coated clear that was a bear to remove,at the front edge of the mirror(I know but that was the biggest problem area's)I hit it and you can see that this mirror was from a red ranger [quote]

Yout truck, unless repainted will have a b.c./c.c. catalized (2 stage) paint. This is not single stage. The base coat doesn't have any UV stuff in it for protection. It is in the c.c..

You don't have metallic in your solid black paint so you can buff that. Metallic paint (you can see itty bitty metallic particles in the paint and it gives it sparkle, think baby metal flake) need the protection of the clear. The particles are colored bits of silver mylar that if sanded and buffed, go back to silver and without a sealing cover coat will degrade and cause the finish to look like crap. I hope that helps a bit.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 6th 2010, 12:31 am

retired plumber wrote:
Here you can see what I'm doing so I'll skip to what I was using. I mixed in some miguiars #oo hi-tech wash for lubricity and started out with 1500grit on the peeling clear coat that someone badly done.The 1500 wasn't getting some of the clear coat off because it was so thing I went down to 1200 grit and eased up on the pressure, but because off the thickly coated clear that was a bear to remove,at the front edge of the mirror(I know but that was the biggest problem area's)I hit it and you can see that this mirror was from a red ranger

Yout truck, unless repainted will have a b.c./c.c. catalized (2 stage) paint. This is not single stage. The base coat doesn't have any UV stuff in it for protection. It is in the c.c..

You don't have metallic in your solid black paint so you can buff that. Metallic paint (you can see itty bitty metallic particles in the paint and it gives it sparkle, think baby metal flake) need the protection of the clear. The particles are colored bits of silver mylar that if sanded and buffed, go back to silver and without a sealing cover coat will degrade and cause the finish to look like crap. I hope that helps a bit.

Mike
Hey mike

Yeah I know the difference between single stage-clear coat and metallic paint. My truck is single stage paint, the last owner destroyed this little truck. Wreck it in the front end (fixed back the cheapest route)and for some reason they sprayed clear only over the driver side front fender-door and the extended cab and to that degree clear coat was also sprayed over the splash decal that I was removing, they also for some reason changed both mirrors that they also clear coated over(I guess they found them from a red ranger and roughed it up and painted black and the cleared coated it. POORLY) and the dash & instrument cluster was from a 4X4 (COULD SEE THE 4X4 range settings& was also showing over 200.000 miles were the title had alittle over 150,000. and the time frame from transfers from the guy I bought from and the owner he got it from was around 6 or 8 months and there's no way they could have put over 60,000 to 70,000 miles on it forgot the actual miles and time frame but you get the ideal) I guess where the air bag had deployed. The front bumper was angled down in the front about 10 to 12 degree's, Just a mess! Only give $1400.00 for this truck and did drive it home and back to town before I run a compression test where the cylinder was showing 18lbs pressure where as the others were around 150 something(been to long can't be 100% accurate on these lbs pressure) they did have the engine rebuilt but whoever did the heads ground to far and thats the reason for the 18lbs pressure in that cylinder.

Anyway I had alot of work to get this thing in drivable shape and decent looks.
LATER
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 6th 2010, 11:09 am

Stang
I was pretty sure you knew all about paint but there will be people reading this that know nothing so most of the explaination was for them and I thought this was a good post to do that.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 10:23 am

Just thought I would update on the mirror, My brother n law came by yesterday with the truck so I could help him change his oil and I almost forgot to check on the mirror.

Bad news! Starting to look like the first picture again. I first did this in feb 08' and it's been about 4 months since I've look at the mirror so it's held up for alittle over a year and a half I quess.

Wish I hadn't sold him that truck! ahhh

Last edited by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 8th 2010, 1:13 pm

Two thoughts here.
1...That your bro didn't keep it waxed very good.

2...I was under the impression that when clear started to delaminate that you had to go back at least 4in into it to make sure it still had a good grip and even then it would continue to delaminate (slowly) from there because there was an open edge exposed to the elements.

Thats just as i understand it anyway.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 8th 2010, 5:00 pm

Your impression sounds good to be because it needs redone. LOL!!

Yeah your also right about my brother n law, but he does run it through the touchless car wash every week or so and all the harsh detergent does take it's toll on the wax/sealants after so many trips through.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content