MY TEST HOOD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MY TEST HOOD

Post by stang_krazy on March 13th 2010, 2:46 pm

Well got my test hood this morning but the bad news is his uncle took the other 2 hoods off for scrape, at least I got one back.

Got to looking at it and seen several dents in it, well now I can try to learn how to do little body work.

Hood is off of a late 80's red firebird.

And one of the deep scratched spots that will have to be fixed before I can start

Any help or tips on what I can get and do to fix this problem before I start my roll on.

Was thinking about a bondo or fiberglass kit I seen,has any one tried it or what have you guys used?
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MY TEST HOOD

Post by retired plumber on March 14th 2010, 3:13 pm

A couple of different ways to go here. If it is just a scratch, I would use a glaze to fill it. Dents may be hammered an dollied if you can get to both sides, otherwise I would just fill them with "bondo". I grew up with the origional pink stuff and like it but there are many kinds now. The kind with fiberglass strands is supposed to be good. I would stay away from fiberglass itself for dents, etc. That is more for patching holes. What ever you use, read the can first as some can go over sanded paint and some need to go on metal...The fun beguins..................

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on March 14th 2010, 3:53 pm

Hey mike

Been cleaning my garage and found all my haynes books I've been keeping over the years and seen that I've got the body repair & painting manual plus a dvd on some painting and prep work.

So I will be reading the book and watching the dvd before I start doing any work. Really getting into this method of painting and plan on having alot of fun.

Will be trying to get a few body tools so I can really do a good job on this hood. Because I'm wanting to get a 70's trans-am and maybe a resto! And if I can get good at this roll on method and learn some body work I think I can have a nice old TA that I could be proud of and doing all the work myself!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 14th 2010, 6:53 pm

I would scuff with 220 to feather the edges out then skin coat with an ultra light filler, spot prime, block, spot prime, block you get the idea.
As in life there are always more then 1 way to fix a problem.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content