231 Buick V6 Vega project by Mikey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

231 Buick V6 Vega project by Mikey

Post by Mikey on December 17th 2007, 11:44 pm

I have a 1975 Chevy Vega hatchback that I stuffed a 3.8 Liter Buick V6 into about 15 years ago. (When I lived in Oregon). It still runs very good, as I didn't put to many miles on the car. I ordered a 1998 Durango when they first came out, and started driving that instead. I haven't had the Vega licensed since 1994, still runs though. Just not driven anymore. I would like to start driving the Vega again, as I recall at least 28 MPG if you kept your foot out of the four barrel. - beats the 15 to 17 MPG I get out of the Durango.

I am currently converting the 1975 Vega Hatchback front end to all 1971-1973 Vega Hatchback frontend peices. I eBay'd most of the NOS parts I needed, and purchased two fiberglass front fenders from a company in Canada as steel fenders just aren't offered anymore...without major rust anyway.

I attempted to have the car repainted about 4 years ago with PPG DP40 primer sealer and PPG Viper Red bc/cc.
There was a problem using the DP40 Primer Sealer that didn't raise an issue until the base coat paint went to the second coat. So to make a long story short...I had to strip the paint off with aircraft stripper and rattle can it with sandable primer to cover the bare metal. I never did Primer Seal it again...now it all needs major fixing.
I was quoted 3500.00 to completely repaint the car...that didn't include any body work...so that's definately out!

From what I have seen so far in this forum, it appears the 50.00 paint job looks like a possible solution for me.
I will get a little more info, and purchase what I need to get started. Unfortunately I will have to strip off the sandable primer/rust and start over from the bare metal up after peicing together the 1971-1973 frontend peices.
I hope to have this running and on the road again sometime in 2008. To cold to paint in my steel building right now.

Mikey - In Missouri...or is that Misery?
Mikey
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Ops Technical Analyst / Buiding my own cars
Project : 1975 Vega Hatchback with Buick 3.8 Liter even fire V6 and 4 speed
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 231 Buick V6 Vega project by Mikey

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 11:50 pm

Sounds like a cool project man. Welcome to the forums and keep us updated on your progress Wink

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey on April 15th 2008, 5:41 am

Hey Matt!
I have started bolting on the 1971-1973 style parts in the last few weeks, it finally warmed up a little more here in Missouri. I currently have the 1971-1973 style header panel bolted on (supports the front grill, lower valanceand sides of the front fenders), and am currently fitting the 71-73 style fiberglass fenders to the car. Lot's of work to get them trimmed to fit just right, more than I figured on. I recently eBay'd some old American Racing wheels (Libra wheels) and mounted some 205/60/13 tires on them. After bolting these onto the car, the wheels and tire's fit under the car just fine. I don't think there will be any problems with tires rubbing at all. The rims come pretty close to the tie rods up front, but they don't seem to rub in any of the wheel wells. I figured I had better make sure these fit okay before bolting up the new body parts just to play it safe.
I think I must have pulled at least 90 pounds of old steel parts off the front of the car. The old 1975 front bumper weighed at least 60 pounds!
I plan to continue peicing the 1971-1973 style front end parts on, and making them all fit before tearing it apart to do the paint. I plan to paint the chassis with Chassis black paint before doing the exterior of the car...it needs it badly. I already bought the exterior paint supplies...I was happy when the total only came to $98.00 for extra paint trays, extra paint rollers, three quarts of Rustoleum Regal Gloss red paint, mineral spirits, sand paper (wet/dry of various grits), stir sticks, paint measuring cups. I din't want to have to worry about cleaning up the painting tools every time, figured each time I painted, I would use new supplies. I have enough paint to make a gallon and a half of paint after thinning it out 50/50. It sure beats the price quoted at the local paint shop of $3500.00 - that did not include any body work! - I can't believe the price of painting a car these days! The old MACCO body shop went out of business in Liberty Missouri, so that's out completely...I thought maybe somebody might be willing to clear coat the paint after I finish with the Rustoleum paint. Not sure if that would work or not, so maybe I'll just try that myself when I'm done with the Rustoleum. I heard that Rustoleum paint may tend to fade over time, but the car is going to be stored in the steel building out back to help prevent that anyway.
If you have an email address I can send you a picture or two if your interested in seeing any of them. I don't plan on stripping, grinding and painting until all the parts are bolted up to fit so it is still going to take awhile to finish the conversion. Should be pretty soon, if my wife leaves me alone long enough to get to work that is...lol. If I spend any more money on this old car, she my want to run me over with it when it's done!

I hope I get to drive it again someday...

Mikey - In Missouri...or is that Misery?
Mikey
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Ops Technical Analyst / Buiding my own cars
Project : 1975 Vega Hatchback with Buick 3.8 Liter even fire V6 and 4 speed
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content