Hello from Spain.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Spain.

Post by vasp on March 28th 2010, 6:16 pm

Hello. I´m from Spain.
First of all, sorry for my bad English.

I have seen some of your work and they look spectacular!!!
Now I'm thinking of roll my Mercedes W123. I have read a lot but did not found the answer to a few questions:

¿What is the reason to use mineral thinner? ¿What could happen if I use (for example) acrylic thinner?
¿Could I use 2k Acrylic Car Paint? If yes, ¿Should I thinn it mit mineral thinner?
In Europe I can´t find Rostoleum. ¿Do you think than any rust paint schould work?

It seems that nothing in Europe has do this work. The only information that i can find is in America...

Thank you in advance for your answers.
vasp
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Spain.

Post by stang_krazy on March 28th 2010, 8:15 pm

Welcome to rolled on vasp

Just learning about this type of painting so sorry I can't help yet, I will try to search around for some of your questions though if no one answer them in alittle bit.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 28th 2010, 11:29 pm

Welcome vasp

I will try to answer some questions for you. The mineral spirits are slow drying so that gives you time to roll the paint and get rid of roller marks by going over it several times in different directions. I don't know if 2K paint will work or not but I know rusto makes paint and sells it all over but it has different names elsewhere. In Canada it is called trimclad or something like that. Go to the rusto web site and take a look around. If they sell it in Europe, I'm sure it will say so somewhere and give it a name.

You are not looking for "rust paint", you are looking for enamel that can be reduced with mineral spirits (oil based). If you ask the sales people what it can be reduced with they will probably try to sell you some fancy brand name reducer so look at the can or ask if it can be cleaned up with mineral spirits. That is what you want. Also stay away from latex enamel because that is water based and is usually an indoor wall type paint Laughing

In the next couple of weeks I am going to try clear acylic enamel and urethane thinner because I can't find any regular clear enamel. Its all susposed to be cut with urethane thinner (they say) but I will try ms first. I want to try metalflake and it has to go on in clear. Rusto in the USA dosen't make clear in quarts anymore, just in spray cans. Anyway, This may be what you call 2K paint (different countries, different termonolgy huh ) and I will be posting my findings.

Hope I answered a couple of your questions and your English is fine. Actually it is better than my spelling LOL.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 29th 2010, 8:05 am

Welcome......Glad you found us all the way from Spain.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vasp on March 29th 2010, 11:20 am

Thank you very much for your answers Very Happy

retired plumber wrote: This may be what you call 2K paint

Mike

2k paint is 2 component pait: paint + hardener. Yes, I think it could be what you mean. I have some from my last spray job and in a few days I will try to thinn it with mineral thinner.
vasp
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on March 29th 2010, 2:14 pm

hola! Welcome to the forums!

btw.. your english is better than some of the americans on here! lol
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 29th 2010, 5:47 pm

I know for a fact that mineral spirits and polyurethane DON"T mix because I tried it. I am hopeing that regular urethane will mix with it. They both can have hardner added to them to make 2K paint but their chemical makeup is different, as is the hardner. The poly stuff needs the hardner to even set up. I sprayed the roof of my truck and left the hardner out of it on purpose to see what would happen. You guessed it, it was tacky for a month and 6-7 months to dry hard and when it did it was full of cracks. It looked like dried mud. Laughing. I'm just hope urethane enamel will work but I will find out pretty soon.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top