1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6

Post by trimagnum on July 26th 2010, 11:22 pm

The black stripe looks awesome . The truck even with the new dent is looking really great. You need to buy that kid a white cane with a red tip he has to be blind to not notice a giant orange truck!
trimagnum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 28th 2010, 11:46 pm

Did you get the dent poped out yet?
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:02 am

sinformant wrote:paint and stripe look really good! only thing i would have done different, is i would have layed down the one stripe where you have that one and then peeled up the pin stripe toward the back and then layed down another flush with the other stripe further back to make it a wider stripe like they have on the newer dodge ram daytona's. but that's my opinion and people have different tastes.

I had never done stripes before. So I was going basically just experimenting. I agree though.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Project : 98 Dodge Dakota Sport
Registration date : 2010-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:12 am

petieg383 wrote:Truck looks great. It's exactly the colors I want to paint my Camaro, and I'm really glad to see someone paint a stripe recently. I was wondering what the best way to do that was going to be.

Looks great man. Way to go.

I learned a lot from doing the stripes on my truck. I learned that if you add the stripes over the existing paint, it leaves a raised stripe. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference but it looks like they are vinyl stripes stuck on the side of my truck. People ask me that and I have to tell them that they are actually painted on. I think this method works if you are just putting a couple of small stripes. I think that if you are going to make the stripes a major part of the paint job, you might try another method than just tapinig them off and painting over the main paint color. For instance, if you are going to do a two-tone paint job or if you were going to do big stripes down the length of the car, I would probably tape them off before you roll the paint on. Then when you are done with the main color, remove the tape and apply it on the main color. That way the paint is all flush. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Also, I would not paint with a flat color. I rattle-canned the stripes on with a flat black. I think it looks great but it gets dirty easily, and I can't buff or wax it like the rest of the paint.

I hope that helps you when you start your Camaro. I love the color but I know it takes some getting used to by the neighbors!!
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:13 am

retired plumber wrote:I have a dent just about like that in the same place on my ranger and yes, it looks like it will pop out. I just have to pull the wheel and the inner fender liner so I can reach back there and hit it with my slapping dolly (2in wide sightly curved piece if metal about 15in long) but a good smack with a hand might do it also.lol good luck
Mike

Unfortunately the dent did not just pop right out. I am going to leave it for now, until I finish the rest of the truck. That dent really took a lot of air out of my sails. All that work and BAM!! Ugh...
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:15 am

petieg383 wrote:Where did you actually buy the Rustoleum Professional Safety Orange from? I cannot find it in any of the larger stores locally (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart).

Please help.

I bought the Safety Orange at TrueValue Hardware Store here in Pendleton, Indiana. I looked everywhere and no one carried the color. I didn't want to order it because it would be a pain.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:17 am

Fucozilla wrote:Looks good man! So you gunna fix your rear bumper? Put a nice 01 on the doors? lol thats what my buddy is gunna do with his ram... I went with a nice green.. and black maybe one of these days ill post some pics. I think your truck is gunna turn out better since I'm no good with my bondo work... ny rust gotta love it....

I have not fixed the bumper. I was trying to find a used one at a junk yard, but this model of Dodge Dakota is notorious for rusty bumpers. As soon as I find one I will paint it and put it on.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:19 am

retired plumber wrote:Did you get the dent poped out yet?
Mike

I have not popped the dent out yet. I am going to wait on that until I get the rest of the truck finished. I have a one-year old and projects like this make it to the bottom of the totem pole if you know what I mean. I'll get to it before the winter hopefully, not in too much of a hurry.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on September 6th 2010, 11:32 am

I haven't posted in a while. Getting hit on the side of my truck really took the air out of my sails. I have continued to work on my truck. I am almost finished. I still need to buff the top of the cab, passenger side door and the tailgate. I also need to finish the rear bumper. I am having trouble finding a used bumper at a junk yard. Dakotas of this model are notorious for rusting really bad. I may just buy a roll pan and call it a day. Those aren't too expensive. Also, I am trying to find a hard tonneau cover. I want to paint it orange as well and continue the stripe across it. I don't know. We'll see.

Anyhoo, here is my progress. I hope you enjoy the before and after photo.

JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on September 16th 2010, 3:26 pm

I think your truck looks awsome! Watching your bright paint pic after pic you have made me wonder if black is the wrong way to go on my Camaro. I am a black and blue addict and I am wondering what a really bright blue would look like. I like the ding and dent hiding properties of a nice bright color. Either way I think your truck turned out great and I like the contrast of the stripe.

I'm wondering, are these last pictures without any cut/polish?

Great pictures!

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeroadster on September 17th 2010, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the step by step threads. Truck looks great in orange and the black bumble bee stripe really sets it off.

Lakeroadster
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1965 Chevy Pickup SWB SS
Registration date : 2010-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on September 18th 2010, 12:49 am

Look for a bumper here. www.car-parts.com
Look for a bed cover here. http://gaylordslids.com/
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fucozilla on October 10th 2010, 2:30 am

So what do you guys think of the green I went with? haha
Fucozilla
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Project : 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport
Registration date : 2010-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawrnk on December 16th 2010, 11:35 am

T.Hadley (April 1st 2010, 10:53 pm) wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
RoboGeek wrote:like plumber said.. and thats also a trick.. if you want it to appear brighter, use a white undercoat.. if you want it darker, use a black primer. Where we used to do that a lot was with candy paint. A gold base looked completely different than a silver base. With regular paint the effect is much more subtle, but as you can see.. different colored surfaces show through after several coats

the spray and the rolled matched perfectly on mine with safety red

I didn't know that. I thought that the primer was for adherence/filler. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess it makes sense though.

I'm gonna go with white primer because my truck is already white. I am trying to minimize the cost here.

Question: How do I prep/clean the primed area? Last time I primed it, the primer wiped right off with a rag and mineral spirits.

P.S. thanks everyone for the help. I've really learned a lot.

I also found that some spray can primers will get soft when wiped with mineral spirits. so to prevent that I would use denatured alcohol on the primer to wipe down before paint, and all was good,

Where did you find denatured alcohol? I can't find it.
Lawrnk
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on December 16th 2010, 12:38 pm

Lowes Home Improvement.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!