1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6

Post by JohnnyV on April 6th 2010, 2:54 pm

Here are a few pictures of my truck before the magical paint job.

Truck Rear

Truck Front

Truck Passenger Side

Truck Driver Side

Overall she is in not-too-bad of shape.
I will hopefully get started on removing some of the front pieces and sanding/prepping for paint soon! The weather is great for rollering paint.

Last edited by JohnnyV on April 11th 2010, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Project : 98 Dodge Dakota Sport
Registration date : 2010-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 6th 2010, 7:51 pm

Suggestion, Take your head and tails out and spray 3-4 coats of paint behind them and around where you can see it, let it dry real good (overnight) and then put them back in and when you roll just tape them up carefully.

I also advise using the blue tape, especially where you are going to two tone. The blue (they say on package) can be removed up to 4 days later without lifting the paint under it and won't leave sticky stuff behind it.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 6th 2010, 8:26 pm

retired plumber wrote:Suggestion, Take your head and tails out and spray 3-4 coats of paint behind them and around where you can see it, let it dry real good (overnight) and then put them back in and when you roll just tape them up carefully.

I also advise using the blue tape, especially where you are going to two tone. The blue (they say on package) can be removed up to 4 days later without lifting the paint under it and won't leave sticky stuff behind it.

Mike

I think that is probably a good idea. I have already taken the grill off. I am going to take the valance and headlights and turn signals off here in a minute. It will look bad for a while but I am okay with that.

As for the paint job, I have read that you should wait to do the final coat until you are ready to do the whole vehicle. If that is true do I need to do the exact same number of coats across the board? For instance, what if I get to a panel that isn't covering. Will the color be different if I put 8 coats on that panel than another panel that I may have only put 6 on? I just want a good even color. I have been bragging about this paint job at work (and to my wife, who is about fed up with my shenanigans Very Happy ) for several weeks and I just want it to turn out nice. Plus, I just want to do it right.

Thanks
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 6th 2010, 8:33 pm

retired plumber wrote:Suggestion, Take your head and tails out and spray 3-4 coats of paint behind them and around where you can see it, let it dry real good (overnight) and then put them back in and when you roll just tape them up carefully.

Mike

I learned from the blue, and from the paint rep that saw my car, that the green tape is better - it has less adhesive and is designed for automotive paints, where the blue is for household uses. Mine didn't pull any paint off - it became part of the paint!! lol
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 7th 2010, 9:29 am

RoboGeek wrote:

Mike

I learned from the blue, and from the paint rep that saw my car, that the green tape is better - it has less adhesive and is designed for automotive paints, where the blue is for household uses. Mine didn't pull any paint off - it became part of the paint!! lol

I may be wrong but I thought there were different levels of "stickiness." I think I am going to do a single-tone paint job and just add a black stripe, instead of painting the top black. So the only thing that I will have to tape off will be things that probably won't have paint on them anyway. I am not 100% sure but I am leaning toward a single tone paint job.

I would be totally disappointed if I spent all that time laying the paint and it just came right off with the tape. So I will keep this in mind just in case I try the two-tone job.

UPDATE: I have started wet sanding the hood and front fenders. I removed the grill and the turn signals, and one headlight. I could not remove the other one because the bumper was in the way. And I tried to take the bumper off and it simply wasn't happening for me last night. I have taken it off before but it was a hassle. So I think I am going to proceed with it still attached. It should be too difficult especially since the grill is off. I am hoping to lay a coat of paint tonight or tomorrow. I will post pics later.

Also, I put my unfinished tail gate back on and drove my truck to work. I received a lot [TONS] of flack from my naysayer coworkers. I think they just need to see the finished product first. Plus, everyone had their opinion of how it should be done. So I think I am going to stick to my guns and the information on this website, as well as, the tips from my fellow soldiers who have been in the trenches before me. Anyway, I am rambling now. Keep up the good information because I am taking it to heart.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 10th 2010, 2:07 pm

Alright, I have one coat of paint on my hood and front fenders. Last night when I finished rollering it, I was absolutely filled with glee. I couldn't sleep last night. I drove my truck to work today. Suddenly all the nay-sayers are giving me advice. They probably didn't think I was actually going to do it. One girl I work with calls me "Patches" now because of my truck. Well, the paint went on very well. It leveled out perfectly, and I am going to roll another coat tonight before I wet sand tomorrow morning or the next. Thanks for everyone's help. Now enjoy the pictures.

Coat #1

Close-up

Truck looks kind of goofy from the side but I love it!
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on April 10th 2010, 3:02 pm

Thats gunna look sweet when you get-r-done...

That also one of the cool things about this method, is you don't have to do the whole car at once
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 10th 2010, 3:07 pm

T.Hadley wrote:Thats gunna look sweet when you get-r-done...

That also one of the cool things about this method, is you don't have to do the whole car at once

I almost regret not doing the whole car because it is surprisingly easy to do. I thought I would have a hard time keeping up with all the panels but it is really easy to do.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scooby on April 10th 2010, 3:42 pm

That Orange looks nice! It's really making me think about orange instead of red.
Scooby
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 36
Job/hobbies : Computer consultant
Project : 1995 Blazer, 1998 Camaro
Registration date : 2010-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 10th 2010, 8:51 pm

Scooby wrote:That Orange looks nice! It's really making me think about orange instead of red.

I was inspired by 69ChargerYeeHaw who instigated this discussion several years ago on the Moparts forum. He painted his '69 Charger with the orange version of Tremclad.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 11th 2010, 8:53 am

I applied the second coat of paint. I like the orange idea, but I don't think I like the color so far. I was hoping to have a real creamy color orange but it is turning out to be really bright. Does anyone have a solution?
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 11th 2010, 10:33 am

add some white?
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 11th 2010, 12:04 pm

RoboGeek wrote:add some white?

Yeah but will the tinting be off from panel to panel, because I am not doing the whole car at the same time?
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman_ca on April 11th 2010, 4:30 pm

mix up the quantity required and store/ use as needed. The only problem is you will need to save some for scratch touch up.
iceman_ca
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 11th 2010, 7:21 pm

always mix up and store.. paint even varies from can to can. I stored mine in old mason jars.. my paint probably smells like pickles..
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 11th 2010, 10:32 pm

Good advice about mixing all the paint first.
One thing to think about tho is making the truck all one color first before changing the finish color. Remember your tailgate? The same will happen when you lighten the orange, especially when the truck is already half painted. Either put on a complete coat of orange or reprimer the orange again. Just my cents .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 12th 2010, 6:51 pm

btw.. I like that orange.. Very Happy
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmri on April 12th 2010, 10:24 pm

Looking good!
mrmri
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : MRI Tech
Project : 64 Biscayne, 23 T Bucket
Registration date : 2010-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 12th 2010, 10:38 pm

mrmri wrote:Looking good!

I am liking the orange more and more everyday. I am going to stay with the orange as is. It seems that when I look at the pictures I have taken, the paint looks more florescent than it really is. But when I look at it in person, especially in the sunlight, it looks more like the creamy orange that I am looking for (almost like a hemi orange).

Anyway, I just finished the body work on the bed of the truck. My amateur job is obvious but I think it will do for my purposes. I feathered the edges just fine, and it is really smooth, but there are a couple of low spots. There used to be creases in the metal, and now there are just a couple of dips that are hardly visible if you aren't staring right at them. Plus, they are located in less obvious spots. I am rambling now. What I am trying to say is that people aren't going to notice the spots once I finish this sweet paint job.

Tomorrow I am hoping to do some wetsanding on the hood and front fenders. The orange peel and drips aren't too bad so I am hoping to get started on the bed of the truck. I want to start covering the rest of the truck with a couple of coats soon so my coworkers will quit asking me if I am a big Tennessee fan. I will post pics once I finish the wetsanding.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 12th 2010, 10:39 pm

RoboGeek wrote:btw.. I like that orange.. Very Happy

I am liking it more and more everyday. I don't think I am going to tint the paint.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 16th 2010, 3:11 pm

I rollered on a third coat this morning. The pictures are not the greatest because it was overcast outside. But here you go.

Not too bad from a distance.

The fender has a nice little shine, but you can see some roller marks.

Closeup of the hood. I sanded a little too much I think. I sanded right through to the white below. I had some drips that were hard to get out though.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 16th 2010, 5:52 pm

it happens...

you can roll a coat or 2 over the burn throughs, or if your adding enough additional coats it should cover just fine
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on April 17th 2010, 10:44 pm

RoboGeek wrote:it happens...

you can roll a coat or 2 over the burn throughs, or if your adding enough additional coats it should cover just fine

I am not too worried about it. I still have 3 maybe 4 more coats.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WTF Moment

Post by JohnnyV on April 18th 2010, 3:31 pm

Well I did it again. I had the "WTF am I doing here" moment. I applied the fourth coat of paint on the hood and fenders. It actually looks great. But between my test panel (the tailgate) and the hood and fenders, I have used up all my rollers. I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am still pressing forward.

QUESTION: Has anyone dealt with painting between the bed and cab of the truck. I don't really have the resources to take the bed off and do it that way. Of course the gap is just wide enough to see the white down in there, but it is too skinny to get in there to sand or paint.

Last edited by JohnnyV on April 19th 2010, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 19th 2010, 11:25 am

Just take your can of spray paint and spray down there. That is how I do it. Since you don't get a good look at it it dosen't matter if it "looks good". All you want is color there. You did get a can or two for door jambs etc didn't you?
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top