Partial repaint on a clear coat car

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Partial repaint on a clear coat car

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on April 2nd 2010, 12:30 am

All the cars I have painted with a roller so far have not been cars with a clear coat finish. An employee of my parents and fellow Ranchero owner has a black car that the clear coat has been burned away by the sun on the hood and upper panels much like what happen to my brother's Ranchero except on this car it is not as bad and the under lying paint actually looks to be in decent condition. If they were to go over the area of burn through clear coat with a roll on paint job how well would that match up to the rest of the car that still has the clear coat? I am thinking it would not match well and they would be better off repainting the entire car or just redo the damaged area with a clear coat paint job again. Has anyone had experience with trying to match a clear coat paint job?

burn through on the upper bedside.

The passenger side looks good but the clear on the hood eaten away in places

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Partial repaint on a clear coat car

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 2nd 2010, 8:24 am

The purpose of clear is to bring out the metalic is the base coat. In my opion and experience shooting clear over a solid color is a waste of time and money.
So if his basecoat is a solid black, no metalic in it, then you should be able to roll it and make it match as long as you can buff it out to match the depth of the clear coat black. Hope this is making sence. Try a test piece and hold it up to his car to see how close it is.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 2nd 2010, 9:02 pm

Trying to match up to the edge of a clear coat will be a bi@#h. With any luck you may be able to sand 2-3 inches back into good clear and buff it out. HOWEVER you will need lots of luck to do that. If you burn through, well......I don't know how well black rusto will match.

I have been told at Shermon Williams (auto paint) that you can use mineral spirits to "clean up" regular acrylic urethane enamel so this tells me you can also use it as a thinner and roll it the same as rusto but if it has metallic in it.......... If you can go to the edge of a body panel or body line I would go BC/CC. You can get spray cans that you fill with paint and then charge with a small compressor and spray it (just like regular spray cans)

63Falcon, correct me if I'm wrong but I have always believed the clear in BC/CC was the carrier of the uv preventive and was the thing that made the paint glossy because the base coat was not. In fact my auto paint guy said to just put enough color on to get good coverage and 2-3 coats of catalized clear over that.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on April 2nd 2010, 10:09 pm

I can't see it working right. Find break points and do a panel and you might be able to match it.. but a partial panel is gonna be a b&@#h to make look good
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content