Sprayed Rustoleum Gloss White Honda CRX

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sprayed Rustoleum Gloss White Honda CRX

Post by Davidss on May 10th 2010, 5:32 pm

So last year I picked up a 1990 Honda CRX to use as a autocross/track car. It was a great chassis in that it has very low mileage (140k), zero rust, and a straight frame. But the paint was pretty rough in general and the drivers door had been hit around 20 years ago and the repair had faded to a nasty yellow color.

So while I really wanted to make the car look nicer I also knew it wasn't wise to spend $1000+ for a real paintjob. So since I couldn't make it any worse I decided to paint it myself. I used rustoleum paint but sprayed it with an el-cheapo harbor freight paint gun instead of rolling it on.

Here are pics of the car when I first got it:

My first step was to replace some banged up fenders and the bondo filled door. I also rewelded the little door stopped in the door jam. No more popping sound whenever the door is opened/closed!

I used rustoleum professional paint in gloss white in a 75/25 mix with mineral spirits and I also added some hardener to help the paint dry quicker and look glossier!

Here is a pic just after the first coat, it already looks pretty glossy. This is without any wetsanding or buffing!

And here is around 5 coats later right before the final wetsand, buff, and polish:

In these next 2 pics I wetsanded 2 panels and quickly buffed them out as a test:

In the previous pictures the rubbing compound I was using was pretty worthless so I went to a auto paint store and purchased to good quality rubbing compound and polish. This made a BIG difference! This next picture is after buffing and polishing:

And here are 2 pics after everything is done:

I'll get some more finished pics soon. I still need to wax the car which will help protect the paint. And after waxing will be a good opportunity to roll the car out for a little photo shoot.

Overall I'm EXTREMELY happy with how everything came out. Spraying instead of rolling is definitely the way to go. I don't own any special equipment and I don't have any skill as a painter but I was able to do a pretty decent job. Also it really wasn't too bad as far as labor goes. The paint laid out pretty well and didn't need a ton of sanding. The majority of the sanding I had to do was just to correct my painting mistakes, and many of those were due to not having good lighting...
Davidss
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sprayed Rustoleum Gloss White Honda CRX

Post by einarborg1 on May 10th 2010, 6:42 pm

first of, love the car, good job...

now for some qs
did you spray all the paint on and then wet sand or did you do the 2 cote method and wet sand betwen the coats

and did you spray one coat and go for the flash time and then spray the next coat or did you go a full 12-24h to paint the next coat.

Im Going to paint my VW MK2 GTI this summer and need the help

And agen love the crx
einarborg1
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurymarc on May 11th 2010, 12:28 am

WOW! Great job!
Marc in SF
63 White Rusto Rolled Comet
White Comet Website
Mercurymarc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1963 Mercury Comet
Registration date : 2009-06-26

View user profile http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/comet0/White_Comet/Home_Page.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on May 11th 2010, 8:19 am

that looks awesome!!!!
What air presure did you shoot at and was there a lot of over-spray?
Last question, where did you purchase the hardener from?
Thanks
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davidss on May 11th 2010, 6:08 pm

A few things I forgot to mention. First I would say that after doing this paint job with a spray gun versus rolling. A spray gun is definitely the way to go! With a spray gun you really don't have to sand that much. Seeing some of the pictures of the first few coats of a rolled job makes me cringe with the thought of how much work it would be!

Another trick I employed to avoid sanding was in the finishing stage. After the last coat I waited over 48 hours for the paint to get a harder. Then I went over the car wetsanding it only once. In unimportant areas like the roof and rocker panels I used 1000 grit (to save time) and then 1500 grit everywhere else. From there I used a 3m trizact p3000 sanding disc on a cheap dual action sander. This is a MASSIVE time saver as you can go straight from 1500 grit to 3000 grit in minutes and without breaking a sweat! After that just a orbital buffer and VERY aggressive rubbing compound and then a porter cable polisher and polishing compound.

Here is a pic of the trizact p3000 disc. It's not exactly wet or dry, you use it damp. I only needed one disc for my whole car but a crx is pretty small. The only weird thing about them is that 3m doesn't offer them individually so I had to call around to a lot of auto paint shops to find somewhere that would just sell me just one ($7):

Here is a video of the trizact disc in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nE01A71n1I

einarborg1 wrote:now for some qs
did you spray all the paint on and then wet sand or did you do the 2 cote method and wet sand betwen the coats

and did you spray one coat and go for the flash time and then spray the next coat or did you go a full 12-24h to paint the next coat.
I generally waited and sanded a little in between every 2 coats. But since I was spraying there was TONS less sanding required than a roller job.

As far as timing goes if I wanted to wetsand I needed to wait around 24 hours. For just a recoat I waited around 10-12 hours.

63Falconconvert wrote:What air presure did you shoot at and was there a lot of over-spray?
Last question, where did you purchase the hardener from?
Thanks
I have no idea on air pressure. I not very skilled as a painter so I just played around with it until it felt good. I wish I knew more about that stuff. There are one or two guys on honda tech that have done a ton of sprayed rustoleum jobs that might have a better answer for you.

I purchased the hardener from Tractor Supply.
Davidss
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 11th 2010, 6:49 pm

When spraying acrylic enamel which is like rustoleum it depends on the kind of gun you have. A old fashioned syphon gun takes around 50 psi at 5 cubic ft per minute. the average cheap HVLP gun takes 10 psi at 13 cubic ft per minute to work right. I have both and to make the hvlp gun work I can only make 5-6 passes untill the spray fan degrades. It will still spray but makes LOTS of orange peel.

Sanding between coats is not necessary (usually lol) unless there is a booboo and the tack time between coats is usually on the can. If you are like me and have poured the paint out and it dribbled down the side of the can and now the directions have paint on them, don't worry. You can test by touching some of the masking at the last part painted. when it dosen't come off on your finger and just feels just a bit sticky, time for more paint.

I have been doing this as a hobby for over 40 years (self tought) and I put on one base coat (light coverage kind of like the first rolled coat) then 2or3 regular wet coats (you can tell these because they will look wet as they go down). These are sprayed with the gun about 8in away. The final coat is mostly reducer (thinner) and is sprays on from 24 inches or so away and just misted on. The idea with this is the large amount of reducer helps with the flow out and with any luck you won't have to color sand and buff. I have never had a "perfect job" this way but they usually come out pretty good (at least the color sand is very minamal).Laughing

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red91sit on May 28th 2010, 12:52 pm

She's looking real nice!
red91sit
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bla1979 on October 18th 2010, 1:04 pm

Wow that came out amazing! I was wondering if you mixed the hardner with the paint and then thinned it after the 30 minuites or thinned then added hardner and then stirr and wait 30 minuites? i was also curious why you waited so long before recoating, didnt the hardner have it tacky in a much shorter time than usual? I rolled the first time and am trying to refine / perfect it a bit so going the hvlp route 75/25 gloss white. Temps are gonna be in the 50-60 degree ballpark will that ratio still work well? Also how much mixed paint did you use exactly? 3/4gallon?
bla1979
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davidss on January 25th 2012, 3:59 am

UPDATE:

It have been 2 years since painting the CRX. I have long since sold the car but hung out with the new owner yesterday. I am happy to report that the paint job still looks great! With a minor polish it would look as good as new!

bla1979 wrote:Wow that came out amazing! I was wondering if you mixed the hardner with the paint and then thinned it after the 30 minuites or thinned then added hardner and then stirr and wait 30 minuites? i was also curious why you waited so long before recoating, didnt the hardner have it tacky in a much shorter time than usual?
It has been a while but I think I just mixed everything together at once. You could definately recoat sooner but when I painted it was super cold (freezing actually) and I really wanted to maintain a non-rushed philosophy.
Davidss
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on January 25th 2012, 5:06 pm

I agree about the spraying over rolling part. I just have no where to spray my truck or a compressor. A good one is at least $300? I believe.

I've been wanting a CRX for some time now. Maybe one day...

Good idea about 3000 grit pad. I'll have to try this.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down