1966 Comet Capri

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1966 Comet Capri

Post by retired plumber on June 8th 2010, 3:58 pm

Miss Sasy, I grew up with primer so I recommend it. Some paint really dosen't need it to make the paint stick but I also use it as a "base color" because some colors don't cover as well as others.
I painted my work truck dark metallic red (4 sprayed coats) over 3 different colors of primer and in the right light I could still see the different shades of primer under the color, granted, 99% of the people wouldn't but still............
Good luck to you.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 10th 2010, 8:23 am

think of primer as starting with a clean sheet of paper....if your car was painted a few different colors, then spots of different color primers here and there I would bet that something will bleed through your nice new paint. And like Mike stated bright sun light will show every imperfection. Do yourself a favor and prime the entire car you will glad that you did. I say this from experience, I started painting back in 1987 and I know Mike has been at it a lot longer then that so we both can speak from experiences that we have had.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 10th 2010, 11:14 am

Thanks all but since part of the car is already painted with quite a bit of coats I highly doubt I will be priming. The paint is holding up well and looks great in the sunlight except few fisheyes which were from the roller and not properly cleaning the surface so I've been told. The headlight cover was painted no primer and cleaned well and I got no fish eyes and great coverage. Friends who paint at body shops with spray booths say it doesn't need it either. Just more coats and it should be perfect.

I also don't want to run into the issue of having to blend the colors. Primer WILL change the color/outcome of the hue of the paint if some pieces aren't primered and you place them next to pieces that are then it wont look the same. The primer peices will appear darker than the others in hue.

I am going to keep on without primer and it should be ok. :::fingers crossed:::

But I appreciate all the concerns for wanting the car to look right.
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Cars
Project : 1966 Merc. Comet 4dr.
Registration date : 2010-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 12th 2010, 7:33 pm

Paint after rolling the 5th Coat on the Fender only.

5th Coat

Thin coat shows Blue paint still in the crease.

Bubble Problems...

After the advice I received on here i rolled the bubbles out after 10minutes heres how it looked after.

This piece was brushed & rolled

6th Coat - Done for tonight...

much better but now I am getting some bumpy dull spots where the roller is drying. Some is smooth and shiney while other parts are dull and rough to the touch. I am determined to get this right. I painted while it was 65 degrees raining outside. Cool temp and no humidity. Turned out a lot better but drying time is killing me.

Fender has a total of 6 coats now, Headlight has 4, Cowl has 6 and the bumper trim has 6. Hopefully I can work on more this weekend. ::fingers crossed::
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 12th 2010, 7:44 pm

Oh and here is how the WHOLE car looks sitting right now.

Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on June 12th 2010, 7:49 pm

Looks to me that your mix is still to thin, The only time I ever had bubble issues was when I mixed to thin, and 4 to 5 coats should be starting to cover real well with that color.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 12th 2010, 7:53 pm

It is covering very well, minus that blue spot because i just sanded it almost all the way down to remove the fish eyes. So I am practically starting back at coat 1 in that tiny crease. the rest is 6 coats and covers VERY well, you cannot see the original runs or any of the original blue.

I was hoping it was a lot better now? I guess not?
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on June 12th 2010, 9:30 pm

You have to be really careful sanding ridges, curves, and near the edges of panels. I guess you have figured this out already though. As for the bubbles, I used a hair dryer on "cool" and blew gently over the panel instead of rolling over it with a dry roller like others do. Meh, worked for me. Might not for you.

But the whole point is to experiment, create, and have fun with the journey!

P.S. I love your project. I nearly got killed in a 65 Comet when I was 5 years old, so they are kind of special to me. Any lesser car would have crumpled like paper, but the old gal not only rolled 3 times, she fired right up and drove like nothing ever happened! They had to pry me out from the dash (stuck between the radio and glove box).
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 12th 2010, 10:12 pm

Wow Noah, It must be a comet thing. My brother drove her home for me from Wisconsin about 45 minutes north of us he made it home not a problem. I get off work take her for a spin around the block (carefully because she had her stock original shoes on) and of course I come down the hill to our house and the brakes went out! i pumped so hard I locked them up and my 5yr olds face went right into the dash. Busted her lip. Sad

Now after that the **** car almost paralyzed me. Husband was backing into the garage and I told him it had no brakes. He said Im nuts. He had me stand behind the car to direct him. I did like an idiot. He backs up guess what....NO BRAKES! Pinned me between the bumper and the concrete garage wall. This car is NOT my friend but I'm hoping after doing this it will be a little nicer. I call it El Demonio. The Demon! Hence the dark color and I have straight pipes comming out both side so it sounds as mean as it acts.

LOL Oh adn everytime I drove it something else goes wrong, headlight goes out, tail light goes out. etc. factory radio still works and I am in LOVE with the original interior. heres a picture of the interior. Not to bad for what I paid which was a STEAL for a running 66 Comet!

Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 12th 2010, 10:41 pm

They sure don't make interiors like that anymore. On my truck forum I frequent somebody was commenting about his grandson just couldn't believe his green truck actually had a green interior Laughing .

You gotta take it easy on these old gals you know, they get pi$$ed easy and you have to buy them pretty things frequently to calm them down. I'm sure she will really love you with new paint and a detailed interior and a ..... and a .......lol
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on June 12th 2010, 10:52 pm

Well hopefully I'm a good owner. Since I've had the car I've changed ALL the brakes, master cylinder, full new tune up spark plugs etc. Also put new air shocks in the rear instead of the old stock ones. My body was rubbing the wheel wells with the new rims/tires on it. Then did the exhaust. I have a new stereo system for it which I will end up mounting into the glove box for keeping the original appearance and being able to still use the original radio. Although Im having trouble with it bogging down on me so a Friend suggested that new spark plug wires should help if not fix the problem. I need to have the carb checked to make sure its working properly. Either this week or next week my father in law or brother in law will be welding the new metal to all the doors and fender to get rid of the holes and rust. Then I can finally start to paint the doors and back end of the car.

I also found some side window locks in chrome. I am however debating if I should return all the original chrome to the car or if I should paint it all because the front & rear bumpers aren't in the best shape and I don't really have the money to rechrome them. Thoughts?
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 13th 2010, 8:42 pm

If the car seems to run fine but is low on power after the tune up, did you check the timming? I think you said the car had sat for quite a while. If that the case then a carb rebuild kit is almost a must or run a couple cans of carb cleaner through it because as gas evaporates it will leave what they call "varnish" behind and that will cause problems also. One other thing could be a vacume leak also. None these are a big problem tho but finding someone to fix them could be because they would have to know something about "precomputer cars" Laughing
Please DON'T paint the bumpers. That looks so crappy on the cars from that era. You might check the older wrecking yards and ask them to look up in their Mitchell Manual what might interchange or even try ebay. Have you priced a rechrome job yet? you maybe susprised at the cost of just regular chrome as compared to a "triple show car chrome" job
Good luck with the old Gal.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on September 13th 2010, 5:49 pm

Just a quick update. The car will have most of its paint done by this upcomming weekend. We have found out were are possible expecting twins and my husband doesn't want me painting it anymore. So he has asked his 3 brothers nad friends to come over and all help knock out the car in one weekend.

I am estatic to have it hopefully 99% complete with the possible exception of the doors as my brother who does the body work will be working on side jobs and might now make it.

I will post the photos of the accomplishment this weekend. Smile Can't wait to pull it out next year! Husbands also looking into a new carb for me! YAY!
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on September 13th 2010, 9:49 pm

Twins are cool. Its true they are more work but its still a labor of love. We had identical twin girls and I could always tell them apart but most couldn't. baby

Good luck on the car also.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on September 18th 2010, 11:43 am

Ok so here's the new start. I must say I am VERY pleased with the results so far. No complaints. Paint spread out real nice, no major hiccups. Everything went smooth. The whole car except doors now has 2 coats on it and I can finally start to see what this beast will look like when complete. More to come tomorrow of todays progress. I hope to have all coats on and done by tomorrow. Here we go...enjoy...

Trunk before

Trunk After

Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on September 19th 2010, 1:45 am

That is real cool to have all that help.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on September 19th 2010, 12:01 pm

That it is. I have more photos from coats 3-4 going on. I will post them shortly. Laundry and football right now then more work on the car.
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on September 19th 2010, 5:45 pm

Here is yesterdays (Saturday's) progress. coats 3 & 4 went out. Today they are working on the doors and the rear by the trunk.

We also did Black on Grey with the door Jams, under the hood & under the trunk. Opinions are welcome on the progress...

Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Sasy on September 19th 2010, 9:18 pm

Scraped the whole thing. Was way more work than i thought it would be. We scuffed it all down and decided to rat rod it. Its now satin black. i am sad because it was comming out nice but the wet sanding was a lot. The body work wasnt getting done and the grey looked to nice on a car with rust holes in the doors. Maybe another time. But it was definately an experience. Sad
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mapexgurl on September 20th 2010, 1:23 pm

Awww, that's too bad. I was looking forward to the finished product. It was looking good too.
mapexgurl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : '72 Charger
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down