wetsanding too much? s

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wetsanding too much? s

Post by Steven on June 1st 2010, 9:58 pm

i have about 8 coats and when i wet sand it (1600 grit) it comes out smooth but dull, there are no sanding marks or anything, just wondering if i can buff after sanding it real good? is it possible to sand too dull? or do i have to sand it lightly then buff ? because it seems the coats that i put on it now dont turn out that good
Steven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wetsanding too much? s

Post by Steven on June 1st 2010, 11:32 pm

also all the many coats of paint is just to make sure it doesnt show the orginal paint when sanding ?
and i can wet sand with 2000 grit as much as i like and buff if everything is good?
sick
Steven
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven on June 2nd 2010, 4:24 pm

need help asap!!!
Steven
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mapexgurl on June 2nd 2010, 6:07 pm

This is something I found online. Very useful

http://www.autodetailingnetwork.com/detail-articles-kleen-car/2009/7/30/wet-sanding-using-a-powerful-yet-dangerous-tool.html

GET THE SHINE BACK

Congratulations! You sanded out the scratch but look what has happened to the panel. There is no gloss! The finish is white and chalky looking. Now it is time to buff the sandscratches. There are a number of ways to go as far a pad choice (wool or foam) and compound or polish. If you have sanded to 2000 grit, the sandscratches are not that difficult to remove but as stated in previous articles you must be careful not to create too much heat and burn the paint. Don't be in too much of a hurry to see the shine come back. It may not appear on your first or second pass, but it will start to return. Work slowly and gradually proceed to a polishing procedure to remove any swirl marks and bring up a high gloss.

At this point you should have a nice deep gloss with no swirl marks and no sandscratches showing through the clear. Be aware that remnants of the scratch may still appear if it was very deep. Deep scratches in clearcoat leave what looks like a "scar" if they have not been totally eliminated. This is not your fault; it is the nature of a clearcoat surface. Explain to the customer that if you went any deeper with the sanding process you may have ruined the finish, resulting in the need for refinishing of that panel.
mapexgurl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : '72 Charger
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven on June 2nd 2010, 9:33 pm

Thank you that answers some of my questions
Steven