How much paint to mix up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much paint to mix up

Post by arc on June 4th 2010, 1:30 pm

I am going to try this method to repaint the hood of my beater Sidekick. If it turns out nice, I am going repaint the whole thing after fixing some dings and surface rust problems.

The hood on this is pretty small, so I was wondering how much paint at a time I could mix up? I am using Gloss Black paint by Van Sickle, which is tractor paint that is available locally (I live in the sticks, so not a lot of options that don't require expensive shipping costs). Should I just do a little at a time or can I mix up more and keep it sealed in the fridge or something? When I say "mix up the paint", I mean add the Penetrol and thinner. I want to play around a little with the hardener that Van Sickle has for their paint, since it supposed to make the paint glossier, but I am pretty sure that I can only add that to the paint I will be using that day.

Thanks.
arc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How much paint to mix up

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on June 4th 2010, 6:21 pm

I know there is no issue with mixing and storing Rust-Oleum and mineral spirits, but I have not used a hardener or Penetrol so I can't answer to those as far as storage goes.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by arc on June 4th 2010, 7:21 pm

Thanks.

Actually, it turns out I have to mix the hardener into unthinned paint and let it "sweat in" (that's what the can says) for 15 minutes before thinning. I then only have 24 hours to use the paint. I guess that answered my question. I jumped the gun asking it.

It's good to know about the Rustoleum, though. I am thinking of painting the hardtop with Rusto Topside Sand Beige.
arc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top