Rock chips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rock chips

Post by arc on June 11th 2010, 12:23 am

I have a black Suzuki Sidekick with severe clear coat failure. I wanted to sand off the clear coat and then paint Gloss Black over the old black base coat. I was going to start with the hood to get the technique down.

The front edge of the hood has quite a few rock chips in the paint. I assume that these will show if I just try to paint over them. Do I need to sand down to metal or can they be filled with something? If they can be filled, is there a "quicky" filler or do I just use Bondo?

I was hoping to be able to paint over the old base coat so that I wouldn't have to be covering a different color. If I have to sand to metal, I assume that it would be best to prime the whole hood? What about if I just fill the chips?
arc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rock chips

Post by retired plumber on June 11th 2010, 10:44 am

You are in luck arc. What you want is called glaze and it comes in tubes and is made especially for filling chips and minute scratches. With this you don't sand to metal. Just fill the hole and, when dry sand smooth.

Depending on how bad your clear coat is, you may need to take all of it off, not just what you see pealing because it will delam back 2-3 inches and still look good.

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arc on June 11th 2010, 12:40 pm

Thanks Mike. That sounds easier than what I had envisioned.

There isn't much clear coat left, so I was going to take it all off to have a uniform surface to paint.
arc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 11th 2010, 4:50 pm

That glaze sands really easy also so watch it when you do. Remember the #1 rule of body work. If you can see it before color, you WILL see it after. I would also recommend a spray can of black primer for the glazed spots. It will help seal the glaze and then a LIGHT sanding and you are good to go.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawrnk on December 15th 2010, 11:18 pm

retired plumber wrote:You are in luck arc. What you want is called glaze and it comes in tubes and is made especially for filling chips and minute scratches. With this you don't sand to metal. Just fill the hole and, when dry sand smooth.

Depending on how bad your clear coat is, you may need to take all of it off, not just what you see pealing because it will delam back 2-3 inches and still look good.

Mike

Is glaze the same as spot putty? The problem is my spot putty hardens too quick to get very far on the car.
Lawrnk
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on December 16th 2010, 12:23 am

Use the catalyzed putty. The red stuff is nothing but thickened primer, and shrinks like crazy. The catalyzed putty is like filler. I also spent the cash (about $14) on Cleansheets, which is a mixing board for filler, which you peel of the sheet when you are done. Makes mixing filler or putty easy.

For filler, spend the cash on Rage, or Rage Gold. You'll be happier, trust me.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top