1986 Pontiac Fiero GT Rusto sunrise red!!! I hope!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT Rusto sunrise red!!! I hope!!!

Post by PetefromTn on June 15th 2010, 9:49 pm

Well guys,
I am new here and I have been going thru all the posts and project pics here trying to figure out just how the hell you can paint your own car with Rustoleum paint from Home depot. I gotta admit I was seriously skeptical about this whole thing. SO after looking at all the pics here and especially that sweet looking Ranger in Yellow I decided the only way to know was to give it a shot.... SO ....

I decided to run down to the Home depot and buy some Mineral spirits(scented) and a quart of rustoleum red and some wetsand paper I gave it a try. I removed the badly faded and somewhat scratched wing from my car and started to scuff it up.... I found it had some rather deep scratches that were just not gonna scuff away so I grabbed my trusty can of bondo and mixed up a small batch and hit the deeper scratches.... then I sanded the whole thing with 320 grit wetsandpaper.... I mixed some of the red in my paint gun and added some mineral spirits with around a 3-1 ratio and commenced to spraying on some paint. I layed the first coat down kinda light and let it sit until it started to tack up and then I proceeded to add three more coats of the red. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to paint it with this paint and that it seemed to lay down nicely. It also was a BEAUTIFUL shade of red, actually much nicer than the factory red or at least my wife seemed to think so... altho she does think I am crazy to try this. Anyways, I got is sprayed on one side, let it sit overnight, then sprayed the other side the same way. Then I let the thing sit on my worktable in the shop for over a week....

The next weekend I had a few extra pennies so I bought a brand new high speed buffer at Auto Zone and took my wing and wetsanded it with 1000grit, then followed it with some 1500 grit, then I took my new buffer assembled the handles, and tied on the buffing pad and hit it with some 3m machine polishing compound. TO my surprise it buffed up VERY nicely and had some considerable gloss to it. Then I was inspired and took out my orbital buffer and hit it with some meguiars cleaner wax and man did it start to shine then..... SO>>>>>

This past weekend I decided to try a much larger panel. I removed the decklid or engine cover from the fiero and started to go to work on the already primed surface. The primer had been on there for some time so I was unsure how it was gonna stick but to my relief it actually sanded out nice with the 320. Then I carefully sanded the whole lid and the edges and it was ready for the paint. I mixed up some more of the nice red and poured it into my gun and started to lay it on. Again it sprayed nicely altho for some odd reason I managed to get some fisheyes in there. I am not sure why as I did wetsand the whole thing and then cleaned it with a clean damp rag and then wiped it down with mineral spirits before I started spraying. Anyways, I am kinda bummed out about the fisheyes and I am gonna hafta respray the lid next weekend after I fix the fisheyes. So I decided to wetsand it and buff it anyways to get some practice and I took a couple pics of the progress..... It is looking very good but the shine is high enough to make visible ANY imperfections in the finish. I did seem to have some funny spots near the holes where the rear wing sets on it. I will address these spots on the respray but it was sobering anyways. I am feeling at least confident in this process now and the shine can be there with enough wetsanding( which is pretty easy) and a careful buffing. I still have some rough spots on the roof of the car near the sunroof that I need to repair before I can paint the whole car but it is looking good. I am also gonna try my hand at fiberglassing a custom hood scoop,actually a hood vent. There is a real nice looking writeup over on the pennocks Fiero forum that I like. Anyways, hopefully this is gonna be a paint your Fiero GT build thread soon!!! Here are some pictures, sorry for the quality as they are cell phone pics.... peace
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well this sucks!!

Post by PetefromTn on June 15th 2010, 10:09 pm

I can't for the life of me seem to load pictures for some odd reason. I am gonna have to give in tonight but I will try again tomorrow. I keep getting a link to the Fiero Forum for some reason when I post... Any ideas... peace
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT Rusto sunrise red!!! I hope!!!

Post by JimVonBaden on June 15th 2010, 10:34 pm

Link me to the Fiero Forum and I'll see what you need to do.

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 89
Job/hobbies : DHS
Project : 1973 Opel GT
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 16th 2010, 12:50 am

If that was old primer on the deck lid, it could have had oil on it from way back when. The best way to clean it is a wax and grease remover but a good wash with Dawn dish soap and hot water works just as good and is much cheaper. Also a final wipe down with alcohol and water mixed 50-50 is just as good as a tack rag. I have had "some" luck fixing fish eyes by using a toothpick and putting just a small drop of paint in them. After it drys, if it dosen't fish eye again, your good to go.Otherwise its sand that spot out and start over. good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on June 16th 2010, 9:58 am

PetefromTn wrote:I can't for the life of me seem to load pictures for some odd reason. I am gonna have to give in tonight but I will try again tomorrow. I keep getting a link to the Fiero Forum for some reason when I post... Any ideas... peace

I upload all my pictures to a hosting website. I use Photobucket.com. Once you load the pic, you can copy/paste the image link in your post on this website. It will have "IMG" on either side of the link inside brackets. Then you just paste that code into you post and it should add the picture for you.

That's what I do. Good luck!!
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Project : 98 Dodge Dakota Sport
Registration date : 2010-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let's try this again.....

Post by PetefromTn on June 16th 2010, 7:12 pm

I posted the pics on photobucket lets see if this works....

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s83/matospeter/?action=view&current=06-15-10_1934600x800.jpg

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s83/matospeter/?action=view&current=06-15-10_1934600x800.jpg
Crossing fingers....haha

geek
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Umm....err....

Post by PetefromTn on June 16th 2010, 7:16 pm

Not sure what I am doing wrong here but......
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on June 16th 2010, 9:19 pm

PetefromTn wrote:I posted the pics on photobucket lets see if this works....

Crossing fingers....haha

geek

Close, but you need to pick the line that says this:IMG Code

Jim Cool

PS Looks great! thumbs up
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on June 16th 2010, 10:07 pm

PetefromTn wrote:I posted the pics on photobucket lets see if this works....
geek

At least you can click the links and go to photobucket. Looks good. I love Fieros. I visited the PFF today. Cool site.
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks man......

Post by PetefromTn on June 16th 2010, 10:13 pm

still not sure what I was doing wrong but at least the pics are there. I am liking the way it looks and it is not perfect but it was a test. I am gonna be prepping the rest of the car for paint over the next little bit as money and time allow. I am liking the red tho..... PFF is a great site and if you are a fiero junkie like me there is a lot to be liking over there... peace
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyV on June 16th 2010, 10:19 pm

I like the red color too. There is a guy somewhere on here that has a '98 Camaro that looks really good with a bright red color that he rolled on. I tried doing one panel at a time and I found that doing the entire vehicle was the easiest. Mostly because I was impatient and wanted my truck to be finished already. Either way, both methods work. I think that the final coat you want to apply to the whole car. Other than that you're good to go.
Have fun!
JohnnyV
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alibi on June 21st 2010, 7:21 am

Hey! Those pictures look familiar for some reason Wink I signed up to post my project too but looks like you beat me Razz

If you use a picture posting site, you have to put image tags in front of your pictures when you post. You should have the option to select the link with the image tags already on. The link should look like this (without spaces in the img tag though)

[ img]http://www.picturesite.com/yourusername/youralbum/yourpictureid[ /img]

Thats all that you're missing and they should show up from there.
Alibi
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 21st 2010, 4:42 pm

I agree about the final coat. the entire car should be covered at one time with the last coat . that way you can see if anything has been missed and be sure it is an even color, especially if you used several cans and did not mix them all together first.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Had to reinstall the decklid and wing today.....

Post by PetefromTn on June 25th 2010, 7:54 pm

My wife needed the van to make some errands so i HAD to drive the Fiero to work today..... I know poor me.... haha anyways I got some really nice compliments on the painted parts today and lots of thumbs up and comments like now paint the rest of the car.... Made me feel pretty good. I took some pics of the car in the driveway with the parts on it and posted them over on the fiero forum. Here is a link.... still cannot figure out the **** photobucket on this website... peace

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109657.html
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on June 25th 2010, 9:14 pm

Post the one the arrow is pointing too.

Looking good though!

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

One more try....

Post by PetefromTn on June 25th 2010, 9:21 pm

Here goes....

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PetefromTn on June 25th 2010, 9:22 pm

Well I guess that worked.... Posted tons of pictures to many other websites but never had this much trouble..... oh well... peace

PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on June 25th 2010, 11:23 pm

Nicely done, and works great.

By the way, you only need to paste it directly, as to avoid the extra img tags.

Beautiful work; I hope mine looks so good in the end!

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top