03 suzuki sv1000s(HOK Kandy Tangerine)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

03 suzuki sv1000s(HOK Kandy Tangerine)

Post by sinformant on June 23rd 2010, 1:59 am

well i know this is a rolled on forums, but seeing as this is the only painting forums i am a member of i figured id post pics of my project here and see what yall think. this is my first ever paint job, so its not the best, but i think it turned out pretty well. i sprayed this with a HVLP gun and again this is my first time ever to paint anything excluding using a rattle can, and keep in mine this is not sanded or buffed yet so its not perfect, so anyways here it goes.also the color really doesn't show up in the photos as the same color it looks like in person. its HOK kandy tangerine.

this was the condition i got the bike in.

stripped down for paint and showing the new custom exhaust i made for it.

tank after spraying basecoat.

me behind the tank holding the gun i used(this shot shows the color better)

front fairing after basecoat

tail pieces after basecoat

side fairings after basecoat

center of tail and front fender and rear hugger after basecoat
sinformant
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-08-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 03 suzuki sv1000s(HOK Kandy Tangerine)

Post by sinformant on June 23rd 2010, 2:13 am

heres more pics of the bike in progress, and also i didn't paint this wearing just a t shirt and jeans just in case yall were wondering . i had a tyvek suit on and a 3m respirator and safety glasses on! plus i had a squirrel cage fan going on one side of the booth pulling out the fumes and such and the other side had filters filtering the fresh air coming in.

this is the tank after decals and clear

the front fairing after decals and clear

front fender, center for the tail, and rear hugger after clear

another of the hugger after clear

side fairings after decals and clear( also forgot to mention i had to do extensive fiberglass work to these)

another of the front fairing, where you can see the pearl really pop in the light!
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on June 23rd 2010, 2:19 am

and here is the bike fully assembled! still hasn't been sanded or buffed. very dissapointing that it looks red in these photos! it really shows up a beautiful pearl orange kandy color in the light!

sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on June 23rd 2010, 2:31 am

here are vids of it, a walk around and startup and a startup and ride by.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCrM8t55H4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uHsaQ4ILY
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 23rd 2010, 6:02 pm

Nice looking bike and I love the color. Its to bad it looks red in the together pix. Props for taking all the safety precautions. The isos in the hardener is very bad for you when sprayed.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on June 23rd 2010, 6:36 pm

yeah i did alot of research and asked alot of people's advice. i even had a guy that has done painting for 28 years tell me i should start a side business painting bikes. i think i could have done better if i had a proper booth to paint in. and thanks for the compliment! i really enjoyed painting alot! it was more fun for me than work! and im really surprised how well the paint and clear layed down, cause i used a medium reducer and the temps got so hot in there i really should have had a slow reducer. next project i think ill experiment with some custom mixed pearls.
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on February 23rd 2011, 5:59 am

Here's an update on the bike Sad actually this happened in September. An "expletive" driver in a truck pulled out in front of me.You'd think that in a color this bright in broad daylight that i would be easy to see, but i guess not! I started a job 3 days later and haven't had time to do anything at all. Hopefully this spring i can start over and rebuild her!
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 23rd 2011, 2:37 pm

That sucks. Good thing you weren't hurt.

That exhaust is cool!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 23rd 2011, 5:28 pm

sinformant wrote:
Here's an update on the bike Sad actually this happened in September. An "expletive" driver in a truck pulled out in front of me.You'd think that in a color this bright in broad daylight that i would be easy to see, but i guess not! I started a job 3 days later and haven't had time to do anything at all. Hopefully this spring i can start over and rebuild her!

Great job on the paint. One question,what color base did you use? If it was Red that the reason for the red tint to it. Try a silver base before the orange.

Glad you're ok after getting hit like that most of the time here people gun their car or truck to get through a intersection.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on February 25th 2011, 3:49 am

Roadking41a wrote:
sinformant wrote:

Great job on the paint. One question,what color base did you use? If it was Red that the reason for the red tint to it. Try a silver base before the orange.

Glad you're ok after getting hit like that most of the time here people gun their car or truck to get through a intersection.
oh i actually got rashed up pretty good! i swear i always wear my leather jacket and the one time i rush out the door and don't grab it this happens. got both my forearms got rashed pretty good, my left knee got rashed pretty bad, both my shoulders and my left side got rashed, and i bruised my hip good. as well as bruised my left thigh pretty good from my cell phone. thank god i had my helmet on, that is something i never compromise on! oh and as for the red tint. the earlier pics were taken with my Sony video cam and for some reason it doesn't capture certain colors right. the last ones of it wrecked were taken with my Kodak camera and they show the color pretty much how it looks in person. as for the base i just layed it over a light grey primer. I was gonna lay down white or silver first, but was running out of money and patience. it was nice riding weather and i'd had the bike for a few months in wrecked form as i built it up and wanted to get it on the road finally. this time around i will definitely use a silver first.
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinformant on February 25th 2011, 3:58 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:That sucks. Good thing you weren't hurt.

That exhaust is cool!
oh thanks for the compliment on the exhaust! i thought it looked good too, that why i made it!!! i figured you see black carbon fiber so why not use silver carbon fiber. besides it goes with the frame. oh and it kind of bugged me that the resin on the cf turned brown like it did, considering its a muffler and made for temps like that! scratch
sinformant
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top