1st timer w/questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1st timer w/questions

Post by christiancarpenter on June 25th 2010, 11:56 pm

hey painters, this will be my first time painting and i need some help. i have my paint (a gallon of hunter green rustoleum), 4" foam rollers, and some 400 grit. i figure i'll need some finer paper as i go. from what i've seen here it needs to be thinned with mineral spirits. is that a must? and 2:1 is the normal paint to thinner ratio? i'm painting a 73 superbeetle. my plan is to coat the fenders in black bedliner as i want them to be black and protected. i've taken the windows out and have a coat of primer on it now that i've sanded with 400. am i ready to start rolling? how long does each coat take to dry (i'm in oklahoma and it's at least 90 everyday and semi-humid right now)? also, i'll be painting in my garage which is clean but in no way a paint booth. if any dust does get on it will the sanding take care of it? i'm not looking to recreate a $5k paint job but would like it to be consistent and durable more than anything. the bug has lots of small areas (drip edge, door hinges, etc) that a roller won't fit into. do i use a foam brush on those areas? i know i've asked lots of questions here but if you all could collaberate i'd feel much more comfortable getting started. thanks in advance.

christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st timer w/questions

Post by christiancarpenter on June 26th 2010, 12:09 am

also, if i need to mix up more paint/thinner in the future, does the mixture have to be the same? rather, does the amount of thinner have any impact on the shade of the paint, or just the vicousness? finally, if you spray the rustoleum on, does it take the same amount of coats? same process of wetsanding every other coat? i know this must all be very basic stuff but bear with me. thanks.
christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

some answers.....

Post by PetefromTn on June 26th 2010, 10:43 am

I have not painted my whole car so far but I have been reading a lot about this and I have already painted my decklid and spoiler on my 86 Fiero GT. I can tell you that I do not think the amount of thinner will adversely affect the color of the paint. I have sprayed the wing and decklid as a test to see if I could even get a decent result. I can tell you that I was less than careful about the two different times I mixed the paint and I cannot tell any discernable difference in the two parts. I am using a cheapo Harbor freight Professional model traditional cup gun and it is working very well. I basically just sanded the surface with 400 grit wetsanding and then shot a light coat on the surface. Let it tack up for a short while and then started laying on coats. I shot it with four coats and the last ones were heavier than that first one. I did let it dry overnight in the garage and waited a few days before I wetsanded it. I sanded it with a 1000 grit sandpaper and then a 1500 grit before I hit it with the high speed buffer with a wool pad. I used the 3m polishing compound I bought at Oreilly auto parts. It really shined up nice and for the most part I would say that if you can spray it at all I would definitely spray it as it went much faster that I would think many coats rolled on would. The really nice thing about this paint is that if you manage to get a run, you can just carefully wetsand it out and then buff it with the high speed. It really is a very forgivable process. It really surprised me just how shiny the paint is right out of the gun, then once you wetsand it, it can level out any imperfections and then buff to a very nice shine. The paint I am using is the sunrise red, I am planning to finish the body work I need to do on the car and then mix all my paint together and thin it all at the same time just to be sure. I intend to mix it all in a large container and then use it to paint the whole car. The thing is that wether or not you get a really nice paint job on your car has more to do with how much careful wetsanding and buffing you do than how you apply this paint. Just make sure you put down enough paint to be able to wetsand it smooth. I used as I said four total coats and they were a tad on the heavy side and I did not cut thru the paint with sanding or buffing anywhere. Be careful of the corners and edges as it would be easy to burn thru there.

I took my car to work yesterday and I installed the decklid and wing and my coworkers all looked at it and they all had some very positive comments on it. One of them is a professional finisher and he said he thought it looked like a new car part.... Just be careful and take your time and you should be just fine.... peace

Pete
PetefromTn
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 26th 2010, 10:53 pm

Pete gives good advice. I have been painting for over 40 years and have written a couple of books to people here about spraying. search is your friend here. If you can spray, it is a lot quicker and easier but rolling works very well also. One thing to remember is, prep is 90% of the job. If you even think you see a ding/bump/problem, you WILL see it after color.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top