change in plans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

change in plans

Post by christiancarpenter on June 27th 2010, 9:45 pm

i posted a question in the supplies area but have a new question for you all. i've decided i want to go with a flat military green color instead of the rustoleum hunter green (it's actually called hunter green also but it's more like the olive drab that military vehicles get painted). i'm getting my paint through cabellas and it's an oil based camo-ing paint used primarily on duck boats and treestands and such, but i read some reviews and guys said they painted their hunting trucks with it and got awesome results. question is, same process? i still plan to roll it on but am wondering about thinning it the same amount, number of coats, sanding, leaving the final coat unsanded? etc.
if anyone has gone this route i'd appreciate any tips. i'm going for a military look on my super beetle. haven't decided what i want to do with all the chrome as normally all that stuff would be flat black. i'll do the wheels back for sure. i'm really excited about all this roll on stuff as a professional paint job was cost prohibitive with my budget. if it works well i'm gonna do my 88 f-150 with the leftover paint. i've always had a thing for flat green military vehicles like old jeeps and such. thanks again.
christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: change in plans

Post by christiancarpenter on June 27th 2010, 9:49 pm

seen here is the car with a coat of rustoleum rattle can primer presanding. also wondering if anyone has any good tips on putting the windows back in. i've got new seals (all black) and the windows are out now so i can go right to the edge. do i need to be concerned about treating the areas that will be under the new rubber? thanks.
christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 30th 2010, 12:06 am

Always treat under the windows if they are out. When I replaced the front window in my bug I lubed the rubber channel up good with dish soap and put a heavy nylon cord in the channel with the ends sticking out at the bottom and then set it into place on the bottom lip and then pulled the cord out from the inside. I had a very blunt screwdriver to help also. Worked well. When I was driving in the first rain, all of a sudden I had great big bubbles sliding up my window for a couple of minutes. After all the soap washed out, the rubber gasket sealed water tight. I never used any of the black sealer goop either. That was with the old rubber gasket, you have new ones so you probably have just as good luck (or better) sealing. The back glass should work the same way. Never had the back sides out tho.

You are probably on your own with this paint but I would start with the one to one mix and go from there. Good luck

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by christiancarpenter on July 18th 2010, 12:53 pm

here she is. have some final details to work out but i'm running her like this for now. i call her "milly".
christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on July 18th 2010, 4:53 pm

Looks really good from here! Well done! You know better than us... how did it turn out with the new paint? Are you happy with the results?

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by christiancarpenter on July 19th 2010, 7:44 am

i am happy. the flat hides some imperfections in the body, which i would have never gotten out in this lifetime. i ended up with 4 coats, and will wetsand it one more time in a few weeks. i found out the beetles have a ton of small areas that you can't get a roller into. lol. i like it alot though and plan on driving the heck out of it now. i think if i was going for a real nice shine i would leave it to a pro on the vw's, but i'm gonna try my truck next and see how that turns out. for the $50 it cost ($40 of which was a credit from cabelas) i won't complain a bit. thanks for the tips.
christiancarpenter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 21st 2010, 8:33 am

sweet little bug......what year is it?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster