16 hours and still not dry?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

16 hours and still not dry?

Post by Centex Pilot on June 30th 2010, 1:42 pm

Hey all. What a great forum. I have an 86 Fiero GT originally red that I am fixing up for my boys. I don't want to do the typical 199-500 job as after reading all of this great info...I think I can do it myself better and cheaper! So, car has been sanded and prepped. I laid my first coat of rustoleum sunburst yellow on the rear fin. Laid nice and flat but 16 hours later, it is still wet to the point of being able to put fingerprints in it. I think I did not thin it enough. I went with roughly 3 parts paint, one part thinnner. Also, I painted in the garage and put in our house overnight but we have 90% humidity and rain outside now. I did not achieve full coverage with this first coat. Also, I did not prime the fin. What do y'all think??

Thanks,
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 hours and still not dry?

Post by Pedroramosjr on June 30th 2010, 3:59 pm

It takes at least 24 hours to dry, depending on conditions such as temperature, humidity, and other such considerations. Thickness of coat also is a variable. The thicker the coat the longer it will take to dry, and if too thick it will never dry if a shell forms before the the rest of the coat is able to evaporate its solvent, the means of drying. Given your condition of high humidity, you could give "Japan Drier" a try to help with drying, and even perhaps WM&P naphtha thinner to help, which evaporates faster than mineral and thus should help with drying time. Your ratio also seems a bit thick. Try 1 to 1.

Last edited by Pedroramosjr on June 30th 2010, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedroramosjr
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on June 30th 2010, 4:04 pm

OK, thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the trunk lid tonight with a thinner mix and see what happens as our weather here is not supposed to dry out until this weekend.
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on June 30th 2010, 5:32 pm

OK, approaching the magical 24 hours and it's much harder now. Will put a second thinner coat on it later this evening.
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on June 30th 2010, 6:21 pm

I definitely noticed that it takes a lot longer to dry if the paint is laid on thick. I thin at about 50/50.

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 89
Job/hobbies : DHS
Project : 1973 Opel GT
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on July 1st 2010, 10:41 am

Yes Jim, you and the rest are right. I went more with a 60/40 mix of paint to thinner last night and it was dry to the touch 5 hours later. So, guess i know what mixture to use now!
Thanks,
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on July 1st 2010, 1:41 pm

When I did my truck it was in the mid-70s, 12% humidity with a 50/50 mix and I had dry to the touch in 2 hours and I was wet sanding at 4 hours.
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Slow Drying

Post by Mercurymarc on July 5th 2010, 12:30 pm

I suggest thinning the paint more rather than less. If it is taking more then 12 hours too dry then IMHO it is way too thick. It is so much easier to apply another coat than it is to sand off orange peel (don't ask me how I know that). Is should be the consistency of nonfat milk. Another aspect to immediately (one panel at a time, such as the hood or fender) re-roll the paint with your roller after nearly all the paint has been squeezed off it as this will remove any runs, makes the coverage more even, and thin the surface. Good luck and keep us posted!

Marc in SF
63 Comet rolled white...
The White Comet Site
Mercurymarc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1963 Mercury Comet
Registration date : 2009-06-26

View user profile http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/comet0/White_Comet/Home_Page.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on July 5th 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks Marc. I have learned a ton since this last post. Have my 5th coat on and wet sanded after 2 and 4. You are right.... Do not be afraid to go back over the paint with the roller multiple times. I am running roughly 60/40 paint to MS and am going back over wet paint as long as 6-7 minutes. Do one panel and then move on to the next then go back to the first and take care of runs or bad spots. It has worked flawlessly with little to no orange peel. I am blown away by how good this is looking. It might not be for everyone but for those that have patience and want to do it themselves..it's a very easy process once you learn it.
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb on October 23rd 2010, 9:21 pm

I just applied my first coat using 8 ounces of paint, 2 ounces of Pentrol, 2ounces of MS. Very similar to your 60/40 mix.

I was going to go to 50/50 mix but if your having good luck with that mix, I'll stick to that. You have any pics?
Caleb
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top