Gloss black: problem with drips, dust and hair

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gloss black: problem with drips, dust and hair

Post by PhieroPDX on July 11th 2010, 11:33 am

Hey all,

This is my first post. I am so glad there is a community out there to help with this! I have been working on a roll-on job on my 1987 Fiero for quite some time. While my technique and results are improving, I am really frustrated with two persistent problems:

I am curious whether my problem is that Gloss black shows every imperfection. Or maybe there is a bigger issue at play...

Drips: I am running 50/50 mix of rustoleum/mineral spirits. Should I add penetrol? I have been going back over my work about 15-20 minutes after I first apply the coat to try to roll out any drips that are forming. I still wind up with visible runs. Vertical surfaces are the only real problem. I don't think I am loading up my roller too much but should I be getting any drips at all? Someone mentioned going over the newly-applied coat with a dry roller presumably to pick up any excess paint on the surface, would that help? Will minor drips buff out as part of the final buff/polish?

Dust and Hair: I am painting in my garage (not exactly air-tight). There is lots of dust and hair right away after I roll a coat. I have tried a tack cloth before I apply the paint and does not appear to be any better. Will any remaining dust/hair buff out when I get to the final buffing/polishing stage?

Thanks in advance for any help.
PhieroPDX
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gloss black: problem with drips, dust and hair

Post by Centex Pilot on July 11th 2010, 6:50 pm

I just finished a roller job on my 86 fiero. So, I am a relative newb so more experienced, please chime in. I did mine under a canopy in my driveway. I tried 50/50 but it was way too thin and after some experimenting, ended up with 60/40. I rolled one panel with enough paint on the roller to cover the whole panel. Then, I would roll across the paint one time each doing vertical and then horizontal rolls. I would move on to the next panel doing the same and then when done, went back to the previous panel re-rolling if i needed to. As long as you have good light, you will be able to see any drips or runs. It took about an hour to do a coat. There is hardly any orange peel on the car. I did not use a "dry" roller. I just used the same roller with most of the paint out of it. Minor dust, etc will come out in wetsanding. Also, do not hesitate to pick up anything that drops into the fresh paint. As long as it's within a 7-8 minute window, just re-roll over any marks you made getting it out. I ended up with 10 coats and changed from red to sunburst yellow. Just keep at it because when you are done, you will be amazed at how good it looks!

Good luck,
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PhieroPDX on July 11th 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks Steve. That sounds about right, one panel per "charge" on the roller, so I am probably not going too thick. I should try a thicker 60/40 mix probably...I am sure that will help it to stay put. I will also try the technique you described about running vertical and horizontal when done with a coat to help even it out. It is taking me quite a bit longer than you to do a coat so I know I am not rushing it. I have heard the 1 hr/coat figure from other fiero owners (on PFF).

It is also encouraging to know that any dust can be buffed out

Thanks again.
PhieroPDX
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on July 11th 2010, 10:23 pm

Definitely get the hair out though. I had to go down a few coats which cost me some time for a hair I did not see!
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 12th 2010, 1:01 am

I have painted seven cars now using the roller and all have been done out in the open air. When I load the roller with paint I roll out as much paint as I can in the roller pan before applying any paint to the car. the less paint on the roller the less chance of runs. All the small derbies that gets on the car while the paint is drying is easily removed from wet sanding between coats(mostly small bugs). I have long hair and found that if I do not wear a hat while I paint I am going to end up with a hair or two in the paint. When it comes to the hair, as stated above it is best to get the hair out before the paint dries and just roll over that spot again. I have been using a 50/50 mix of paint and Mineral Spirits at an altitude of 5600 feet and very low humidity. I would guess that the more moisture in the air the thicker you can go with the mix.
I did start another car last week before I left town for a week that I am trying the Penitrol for the first time. I started using a 50% paint mix with 25% Penitrol and a 25% Mineral Spirits. Although the mix was doing a good job at preventing roller marks I found that it was leaving a very very fine orange peel. I adjusted the mix to what I call 3,2,1. 3 parts paint,2 parts mineral spirits, 1 part penitrol and the fine peel went away. Again,the climate in your area will play a big part in the ratio of the mix in order to achieve the best results.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Centex Pilot on July 12th 2010, 9:13 am

Good point about the climate. I am in central Texas and our humidity was 90% with rain every other day while I was doing my car. Guess that's why the bit thicker mix worked for me.
Steve
Centex Pilot
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 16th 2010, 11:46 pm

Another thing you can try is grounding the car frame to something. Static electricity attracts dust and all kinds of air borne stuff.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurymarc on July 17th 2010, 9:27 pm

I think the key is to use very little paint on the roller- I squeezed most of the paint off the roller, then rolled one panel, then rerolled with the same roller that had even less paint on it since I had just done the panel. If you are seeing runs then you should apply less paint on the roller. Again, the thinner the better- dries quicker and less orange peel..
Good luck!!!
-Marc in SF
63 white rolled Comet
http://whitecomet.co.nr
Mercurymarc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1963 Mercury Comet
Registration date : 2009-06-26

View user profile http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/comet0/White_Comet/Home_Page.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top