spraying brightside

View previous topic View next topic Go down

spraying brightside

Post by powertech on July 13th 2010, 8:49 pm

hello eveyone,first time poster long time reader.

i have been painting my toyota truck with brightside materhorn white, i just got the first coat on a few hours ago.

i have 3 coats of interlux prekote primer under it.

i am using a old snap-on siphon gun to shoot it, regulator on the compressor set to 100 and the tiny regulator on the gun at 50.

for my first top coat i thinned the paint with interlux thinner 216 20% , they only recomend 10% on the can ,and a tech guy at interlux recomended a max of 15,seems to thick like that.

i am wondering if i could use there brushing liquid #333 to thin it for a wetter smoother higher gloss. "a wetter spray"

i have sprayed plenty of stuff before but nothing i have ever had to take seriously,like a auto finish. usualy i dump paint in the gun give it a good douche of mineral spirets and let it rip,but this truck has to look good.

i hope my second coat looks allot better than this first one. its like there is very very tiny orange peel,kind of but not realy a sort of blotchy dusty shark skin look to it.not teribly bad but not good eather. not like a dripping shiny new wet paint look i am used to when i shoot diesel engines and boat trailers and junk with rustoleum in the gun.with only one coat

i am hoping alot has to do with it only being the first coat,,,,but also its got me wondering about the xylene 216 thinner, i am wanting to give thinning it with the 333 brushing liquid a shot,to see if that will give me that glossy wet paint look .

more thinner? less thinner? what thinner?

i have been googleing and reading for weeks ,but still would like some fresh new adivice.

here is my post on interluxes new forum, http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/prekote-primer-drips_topic19.html

you will see in there that there is contradictory statements to what i have found researching the millions of seemingly sucsesfull 50$ paint jobs on the web. like the part about the color sanding and buffing?

can any one of you help straighten me out here?

powertech
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spraying brightside

Post by powertech on July 13th 2010, 10:36 pm

powertech
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sherbasm on September 11th 2010, 9:24 pm

so did you end up spraying the rest of the yota? i'm thinking about spraying my 94 ext cab this winter...trying to collect all the tips and hints i can before then.
sherbasm
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top