67 Camaro - Black on Black

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 67 Camaro - Black on Black

Post by cac1967 on March 11th 2013, 11:28 pm

Nice work on the quater panel!!!! it is amazing what one can do when you put your mind to it and you are learning a whole new set of skill's and learning to weld is a great asset!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on March 11th 2013, 11:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement on the quarter panel. It certainly was a learning experience and t it did turn out pretty good.

I managed to work on the car for a few hours today. The wife helped me cut the seal and remove the windshield. I cleaned and filled all the obvious low spots and some spots around the new quarter. The lower fender was a bit warped so I tried out the hammer and dolly on that. Overall it was a productive day. I don't have any pictures as it got dark and I had to leave quick. I'll take some before I start next time and post them.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on April 27th 2013, 6:21 pm

Last time I wrote I had pulled the windshield and started on the filler. I've done quite a bit more since then and we'll say I've got 3/4 of the filler work done. I've still got work to do on the driver side sail panel and front quarter. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Freshly sanded windshield pinch weld.

Freshly primed windshield pinch weld. Notice the ugly rust void about 5" long by 1" high near the driver side wiper arm motor.

The void appeared as I sanded. I hit it with the grinder until the rust broke away and this is what I was left with, after primer.

I cut the void rectangular then cut a spare piece of my old quarter panel just a bit bigger than the void. I JB Welded a nail head to the face of the new piece, then JB Welded that piece into place behind the pinch weld. Then coated the face of the piece with JB Weld. The nail was there to give me a spot to clamp on to hold it in place. Now I can just cut the nail off and make it smooth with a skim coat of filler. Good as new.

The passenger side sail panel with some freshly applied filler. Still needs sanding and more filler.

I don't care for the seam here so I decided to fill it in. Welded first then some filler to make it smooth.

The driver side sail panel with some touch up filler. Still needs sanding and probably more touch ups.

I'm also not a fan of horizontal chrome. So I've filled the wholes and sanded them smooth.

This is the progress to this day. This side of the car is done until I apply the high build primer.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 1st 2013, 11:45 pm

Nice work Ian!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 11th 2013, 8:21 pm

Still not painting yet but getting really close. The car is now fully back in primer and 95% of the bodywork is done. I was going to roll my new Rustoleum Filler Primer (yep, drove over the border and 2 hours into Washington to get some) but decided to use the rest of my Tremclad Rust Primer first. I hope you like pictures...

Freshly sanded windshield pinch weld.

The passenger sail panel was quite a valley of weld spots but after several applications of filler, and what seemed like a never ending amount of sanding, it is ready for primer.

The passenger side of the car is ready for primer. The body line was skim coated and sanded pretty sharp.

The driver side body line wasn't as much work, and is ready for primer here.

The windshield pinch weld had that hole and other rust. I sanded the rust spot away and smoothed the JB Weld patch I made and applied some filler.

The driver side rear window seam was a tough spot. The quarter wasn't flush with the upper trunk panel so when I blocked it, I kept sanding too far and having to reapply primer. It's done now, but was time consuming.

The rear window pinchweld had a couple missing clip mount "nubs" that remained as small holes. I JB welded the holes and smoothed it with filler. All ready for primer here.

The tail panel seam wasn't too tough. It would have been a lot harder if I had decided to get rid of the visible seam. Still have a dent to fix to the left of the seam.

Two nights ago I rolled the Tremclad primer on only the areas that were sanded or went to bare metal. I'll probably do some light sanding on this primer and then roll at least 1 solid coat of the Rustoleum Filler Primer on before I start rolling black Tremclad. I want to scuff and spray the door cil plates and jambs before the filler primer too, so there is work to be done. Here are some of the results post primer...

The passenger side rear window seam primed well. I think the primer went on a little thin on the quarter panel side but overall its good until the Rustoleum Filler Primer is rolled.

The tail panel seam primed well. I'm happy with the result as this was one of the harder areas to make flush when the new quarter went on.

The driver side body line was almost flawless to begin with. It needs a good wipe down but it looks good otherwise.

The passenger side body line needed a full skim coat and a few extra layers of filler around some door dings. It actually turned out well but the line is too sharp along the door and will need to be rounded off ever so slightly during final pre-paint sanding.

The passenger side sail panel primed but has a small area that needs to be sanded (can't see it in picture).

Tight space in the garage but it's worked so far. Clearly a great reason to roll and not spray.

Going to have to do something with that windshield and hood panel soon. The spoiler is waiting for some attention too.

I'm hoping to get the door jambs and other inconsicious areas primed and spray bombed before the middle of next week. If I have a lot of time I'll put a coat of the filler primer on as well, but that'll probably happen next weekend.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 15th 2013, 2:02 am

Tackled the tail panel dent, roof dent, door jambs, trunk weatherstrip area and cowl vent grille area. Doesn't sound like much but to repair the dents and prime/paint (Tremclad Oil Based grey primer & Tremclad Gloss Black spray can) the other parts it took almost 8 hours. I went inside for dinner and forgot to take pictures while there was good light. I snapped a few but they're not the greatest. Hah, don't mind the mess in the garage/interior.

I wanted to get a good clean finish right in where the trunk weatherstrip goes, as well as the lip there. I also sprayed the trunk hinges while I had them. That mask/tape job was time consuming.

The results were just what I wanted. My masking failed in a couple spots but it'll sand off easy and now I have something for the weatherstrip goop to stick to.

Driver side door jamb. Took quite a few boxes, cut just right to prep these jambs for paint. I ended up doing the jamb, sill plate, hinge area and the inside edge of the door. Unfortunately my pictures don't capture the door, but you get the idea.

Driver side sill plate and hinge area. Obviously I didn't waste paint on the inside face of the door as the door panels will cover them.

Passenger side door jamb. I taped off the door lock striker as the black would eventually get scraped off by the door and that would look ugly. I'll probably clean them up and just leave them be.

The passenger side sill plate and hinge area. Turned out as good as the other side, the Tremclad spray paint seems to go on quite thick and leaves a nice gloss.

I apologize again for the picture quality. I used a "contractors grade" matte black spray paint under the cowl grille panel as I didn't want it to look glossy through the cowl grille slots. I didn't spend a lot of time masking/taping as it's going to be covered.

Now that I've got all the side tasks out of the way, I'll be focusing on getting the car rolled. I still need to do a repair on the spoiler and re-prime the car with the Rustoleum Filler Primer but I think I can do all that in another few hours. While that primer is drying (2-3 days?) I'll probably clean up the garage and mask off the tires, windows and garage floor.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 15th 2013, 11:47 pm

Nice work Ian, It's nice seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, nice job on the jamb painting!!! gonna have one nice camaro when your done man!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 18th 2013, 5:36 am

I decided to clean off the car (with a final coat wipe solution) and start rolling the Rustoleum Filler Primer...

...but I was really suprised to see how thin the primer was. It's the consistancy of milk and I found that it just soaked into the roller and didn't seem to roll very well. I tried to lay it on thin but when I tried to roll over edge lines, the primer started to ball up and turn into little clumps. Almost like peeling back a layer of dead skin....

I tried shaking the can for a few minutes, thinking that it might have settled, but it seems to me like it's just very thin, and dries very quickly, and rolling over it is just not a good idea.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions/tips before I continue?

***UPDATE***

I did some reading on this filler primer and have realized that I should have read the application instructions a little closer. The product is thin, but dries thicker and demands a re-coat time of 5-10 minutes. So I need to roll it on quick and smooth, and re-coat the areas that need it. I'll just have to block sand out any roller lines, instead of rolling over the partially set primer. My main concern was that the ProForm solvent I was using to do my pre-cleaning wasn't compatible, but I think I was just treating it too much like the Tremclad Primer I've used on previous coats.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 19th 2013, 12:36 am

Ian, the rusto auto primer is laquer based, from your pic's it look's as if the rusto primer may have reacted with the tremclad.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 19th 2013, 4:33 pm

cac1967 wrote:Ian, the rusto auto primer is laquer based, from your pic's it look's as if the rusto primer may have reacted with the tremclad.
Yeah I think you're right. The Tremclad primer is an oil based primer and like you said, the Rustoleum is lacquer. Several forums say this combo is a bad idea as lacquer runs hotter and can cause all sorts of adhesion problems.

I wish I wouldn't have jumped the gun on that primer and researched it better first. I could bought 2 quarts of the Tremclad primer for the cost of the Rustoleum one. I guess I can save it for a future lacquer paint project. I wonder if anyone sells a high build roll on oil based primer around here :-\

Edit: the Tremclad can says "do not coat with laquer based products..." in the fine print. I really needed to read up in things before I blow my limited budget on things I can't use.

Ian

Last edited by Ian67 on May 22nd 2013, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on May 20th 2013, 4:39 pm

what you wanted was rusto , primer surfacer it gos on very thick with a roller.

Your car is looking great....
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on May 29th 2013, 9:53 pm

Looks great...keep at it
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 29th 2013, 10:12 pm

Thanks guys, it's coming along well. I even been hard at it the last week and I'm only a few hours from paint. I guide coated the whole car and have been block sanding for about 8 hours. Found a bunch of small dings and low spots so have filled and sanded most of them. I still have to block the tops of the front quarters, tail panel and 3-4 freshly filled areas. Then... The dreaded cleaning of the garage... Again. I'm sure there will be less dust then last time but I want the garage to be really clean before I start painting. I'll snap a few photos before I start painting.

Ian

P. S. The Tremclad primer can says to not top coat with laquer paint.... Ugg.
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 31st 2013, 1:46 am

Today was a day of progress. Probably another 6-7 hours in, and I managed to repair the spoiler and finish dry sanding the car. Put a good hour or so into cleaning the garage, but still a lot left to do in there. Here are some pics of the spoiler:

When I sanded it years ago I took a chunk off the side.

Slapped some Might Putty on it and shaped it by hand a little.

Applied some filler and sanded it smooth. Still needs a coat of primer before paint.

So, I decided to stop screwing around (like I did when I started the trunk lid) and really block it down. Before today, I did a little selective blocking here.. and there... but over the last day or two I buckled down and sanded it as smooth as I could. I had to apply a lot more filler as I found a ton of spots that were low. I cracked out the hammer and dolly in a few spots too, it was a bodywork day to be remembered. Less words, more pictures:

Lots of blue, filler and primer now. But I can't get it any smoother with 220g.

I thought the driver side door was straight... how wrong I was.

I'm not sure why I left that headlight in. Maybe so I could remember how to install it.

Tail panel has a big dent that I filled a bit, but I couldn't fix it fully without dropping the gas tank, and that's not going to happen this time around.

The roof was a pain. I had to get the ladder out to reach the middle.

Driver side sail panel turned out good. That quarter overlap it had really concerned me but I'm happy with the results.

Not the clearest pic but the quarter panel seam is officially gone. It's probably the thickest area with filler.

Next on the list is to apply one last coat of primer. Clean up the garage and mask off the car/floor. Wet sand the primer with 400g and then... Black paint!

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on June 2nd 2013, 12:17 am

Lookin really good Ian , can't wait to see you rollin on the black!!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 2nd 2013, 12:57 am

Thanks, I'm getting pretty excited! I'll be rolling the last coat of primer around midnight tonight so I'll probably post some pics once I'm done. Question though, I've got a fair amount of paint left from the trunk lid project. From almost 2 years ago, is that paint good to use now? It's still in the original can and hasn't been thinned or anything. I haven't smelled it or checked for skin chunks yet, but based on shelf life alone.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 2nd 2013, 4:22 am

Nah, you've invested as much work as you have.
A gallon of black is cheaper than having to deal with old or incompatible paints and their reactions to one and other, as they occur on your painstakingly sanded sheetmetal.

That said, the paint probably is OK, but I'd still prefer all-new. Fresh paint, as opposed to a fresh canvas...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 2nd 2013, 6:47 am

Thanks for the quick reply! You're probably right as the paint does smell fine and seems like the same consistency, but I realized that I have a decent amount left out of a quart. So, not even enough to do 3 coats. I'll have to buy a gallon anyway so I'll just use the fresh stuff and save the quart for something less important.

Meanwhile, I just got inside after priming the car, again. I cleaned it off with Proform final wipe solution and then a tack cloth. I primed with my trusty Tremclad grey and as always, it took about a half quart to cover the whole car. Unfortunately I forgot to prime the backside of the spoiler and I was scraping the bottom the quart so I tossed it out. Luckily, the spoiler was in good shape to start so it's still got the original blue paint, but scuffed with 220g. So, I'll probably just wet sand that and roll over it. Which leads me to another question :

Now that I've got a nice coat of primer on the car (after block sanding) and am happy with the way it looks, should I wet sand with 400g or just roll my two black coats and the wet sand with 400g?

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 5th 2013, 1:49 am

I've thought it over and will roll 2 coats and sand, just like I did with the trunk lid. The way I see it, I'd rather wet sand the black down to primer in spots (assuming my work isn't super straight) instead of sanding the primer down to metal/filler.

I hope to get the first black coat on tomorrow sometime. In the mean time I fired up the car today and brought it outside to get some sun. The pictures have all kinds of shadows obstructing the view but at least they're clear.

Next pictures will have black paint.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacermike on June 5th 2013, 7:37 pm

Prediction: This is going to look awesome.
Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 6th 2013, 12:10 pm

Block sanding is a challenge for sure. You think it looks good, but nope still wavy. Your car looks awesome!!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 6th 2013, 7:05 pm

Ian67 wrote:I've thought it over and will roll 2 coats and sand, just like I did with the trunk lid. The way I see it, I'd rather wet sand the black down to primer in spots (assuming my work isn't super straight) instead of sanding the primer down to metal/filler.
That is a good rationale. Before I read it, I was thinking that I would sand the primer, but maybe not. Whatever you do, use the longest block that you can, from here on out, because they are the best insurance against waves, and black will show waves.

I like those wheels. Back in the '80s, everybody in Puerto Rico had those wheels on their car.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 6th 2013, 11:30 pm

Hmm.. Just want to make sure I have the theory down before I start sanding. For the trunk lid I used a small sponge type block for the whole thing. Are you saying I should use the small block on curved spots and small spaces and then a longer block on the doors and areas with big flat areas? I used my long flat block (uses sheets of sandpaper at full length) to do the doors, hood, roof and parts of the quarters when I removed all the guide coat. My concern with using the long block again is that it's not very flexible, it's quite rigid actually. Since I've already used a long block to prep, can I get away with the small soft block now?

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 8th 2013, 12:14 am

I've rolled on coat #1 and #2 over the last few days. It looks good but I've noticed a few minor flaws in my bodywork, I blame the black paint, and yes.. you told me so Wink

I used a tack cloth to wipe off the car before each coat. Roller stored in a zip lock bag and used for both coats. Mixture is 55% paint / 45% MS.

Coat #1 - First full coat finally rolled and I'm surprised by the coverage.

Coat #1 - Looks like a dent in the door... it isn't. I used a small foam wedge brush to do the drip rails and other tight spaces.

Coat #1 - Hard to believe there was once a big seam here from the new quarter panel. Happy with the results so far.

Coat #1 - Front quarter shows some of my re-sculpted body line and wheel well lip. Can't see any issues... yet.

Coat #2 - Coverage is about 90% now. A little thin in some spots but you can already see how deep and shiny this black is.

Coat #2 - This side of the car looks mangled, but it's just reflections playing tricks. The spoiler is off to the side but I've forgotten to snap pictures of it.

Coat #2 - Great covereage here but check out that orange peel. Good thing the 400g wet sanding is coming next.

Coat #2 - Going to use this spot as a guage of paint clarity and reflection. You can see me, but not very well yet.

So, If I decide to fix any small dings or low spots, should I just sand the spot with 220g, apply filler, sand the filler smooth, and start Coat #1 & #2 in that spot? I'm not against putting paint right on filler at this point, but will filler on top of paint be an adhesion issue?

Plus, my last question, do I just use the small wetORdry sponge block to wet sand now, or do I want a bigger one?

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on June 8th 2013, 9:55 am

this is gonna look AWESOME

main thing now is to get enough paint on there: every two coats, then keep 400 sanding off the orange peel, nice work! Do this two more times and get out the orbital....also might want to post this on Meguiars.com they are roll on fans too and they have lots of little tricks to get that last bit of gloss out there

Mike
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down