67 Camaro - Black on Black

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 67 Camaro - Black on Black

Post by rick howe on March 26th 2014, 10:29 am

Ian i gotta say it's looking better each time you up date the pictures ; black is a hard color to get right but you look like your getting it better then the factory ; keep it up.
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacermike on April 9th 2014, 9:26 pm

Man, this project is turning out awesome.
Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 14th 2014, 8:50 pm

Yeah, that's looking good. I'd recommend more coats on the hood and the door which you went back and redid, so that they will have as many coats as the rest of the car.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 27th 2014, 5:56 pm

Hey guys. I can't believe my last update was in February. Time sure goes by fast when your gettin' it done. Whats more surprising is the progress on this car. I'll take you through it step by step with a few photos...

Glass guy came and installed a new front windshield and reinstalled the rear window. I hadn't spent any time on the chrome so it looks a bit dull, but I can polish it up once the paint is done. Luckily the chrome on this car doesn't overlap the paint, so I can always mask it off if I need to.

Floor shifter tunnel needs a hole in it for the stock auto shifter... (not paint related but oh well)

Skipped the install steps for the sake of staying on topic. Drilled pilot holes, used a small grinder wheel and sliced and diced. Used some press rivets to mount it. In case the question comes up... I used the stock shifter because 67' was the only camaro to have it.. and as with rolling paint, I like to keep it unique.

Yep, aftermarket HID headlights. Found a nice set of crystal reflector HID projector lights to replace the 7" round sealed beams. They have a flat front and are at least 3-4 times brighter than the stock beams. You can see them installed below.

I tidied up the grille, front emblem and installed the headlights shown above. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner spray (Home Depot - $9) to coat the grille, floor console and seat backs. It's the correct shade of black and adds durability and wash-ability. Note, we are far from done with the paint.

The car is sitting pretty with dirty tires and windows. Even though it looks good from here, I'm still not happy with some very, very transparent primer showing through the paint. So...

I sanded the car to a perfectly dull/flat black and laid 3 more coats of paint/MS/Penetrol. The consistency of these coats was about 60% paint, 30% penetrol and 10% MS. This allowed for blacker, darker, shinier final coats. However, orange peel was a bit worse, but I've since sanded it all AGAIN and have begun the compounding process... but that's not all...

Another picture of the front after the 3 coats described above... no final sand/polish yet...

Stopped to allow the paint to cure for a few weeks. In the mean time I lifted the car to upgrade the manual steering system to a restored stock power steering system. 3 turns lock to lock... nothing too fancy but it will be easier on the arms after all this sanding.

I've always wanted my car to have the famous bumble bee stripe, but have never been happy with the vinyl decals or stencil kits. So I decided to use this unmolested original Camaro stripe as a reference to paint my own stripe.

Spent about 2 hours measuring and masking off the stripe. It's actually a big stripe with small pinstripes on either side. I knew I was going to spray it... but with what....?

Not this exact shade, but "Anthracite Grey" Plasti Dip. It's a spray on rubberized coating that can be peeled off if it's damaged or turns out badly. Anthracite is a metallic shade and wasn't super easy to find in Canada, but I made it happen.

Turned out pretty good. It's weird that I put so much newspaper around everything to prevent overspray, and I still manged to get some right above the stripe on the header. It can be clay barred off or sanded off put still puzzling. I have some plans to do some accenting on the wheels with this color/product.

So the paint had almost a month to cure and it was time to start the final sand/polish. As of today, I have sanded/compounded the doors, rear quarters, roof and trunk. They all look just like this. Mind the grain from the camera, but you get a rough idea. My next update will show the finished car, waxed with all exterior emblems and bumpers attached. The wheels will be the same, as they will be for a rainy day, probably after summer.

IaN
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on May 27th 2014, 6:23 pm

Ian i love it its easy to see all your hard work has worked out for  cheers 
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 7th 2014, 10:51 pm

That looks killer!

Yeah, I've heard to not use newspaper, as it does have holes in it, and it bleeds through easily, and tears easily. The pros swear by masking paper. I've always used newspaper myself, and never really had a problem.

Overspray is an inevitability with spraying...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 9th 2014, 2:21 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:That looks killer!

Yeah, I've heard to not use newspaper, as it does have holes in it, and it bleeds through easily, and tears easily.  The pros swear by masking paper.  I've always used newspaper myself, and never really had a problem.

Overspray is an inevitability with spraying...
Yeah its weird as I spent quite a bit of time taping off the car all the way up past the windshield but I must have had some rogue tape unpeel on me, or perhaps I pulled it up and some rubbed off the paper on the car. It's all good though as I've since sanded the overspray off and compounded about 95% of the car. Just a few spots left where I have to hand compound the 2000g scratches out. They don't polish out as easy as I would like. I'm using the ultimate compound and a regular foam applicator. Any tricks?

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Cac1964 on February 16th 2015, 6:42 pm

Ian , I was formerly cac1967, I'm back!! Man the Camaro is coming along very well it looks like!!! Keep it up!!!
Cac1964
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Auto parts manager, classic car restoration , racing
Project : 1967 fastback mustang, 1964 falcon, my daughters street stock race car.
Registration date : 2015-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on February 17th 2015, 4:38 am

Nice job on the front stripe!
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 17th 2015, 9:07 am

You Camaro looks incredible!!! Nice job, dig the stripes
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1261
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Camaro Guy on March 10th 2015, 12:46 am

Very interesting. Also doing a Camaro in black.
Nice job!
Camaro Guy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on March 26th 2016, 3:15 am

Hate to bump my thread after all this time but it's not far down the list anyway. It's been almost 2 years years since the paint was done and guess what? It looks exactly the same as it did 2 years ago. Like any black paint job, it's a PITA to keep clean but I don't regret a day of the time spent sanding, sanding, painting, sanding....

I've had a job change and several new projects on the car but haven't taken a lot of body pictures. However the car can be seen on it's website (www.turbocamaro.ca) and associated YouTube channel. It's a great project car that pretty much started with this paint job. The time and energy involved in properly painting a car with this method is significant, but the results are real and if you're thinking about doing it to your ride, I'd say go for it.

The website I mentioned earlier has three relevant articles on sanding, rolling paint and the grey stripe. They're more or less summaries of the 7 pages of this post and everything I've learned along the way. They may be useful to anyone wanting to start, or finish their project.

Perhaps I'll update this once I get some more recent paint pics.

Ian67 / Turbo Camaro
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on May 26th 2016, 5:01 am

your car looks great I'm glad you stuck with it.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 26th 2016, 6:34 pm

Thanks... Sorry to hear yours is failing. Your project is what really inspired mine. I want you to solve yours and post the outcome in case it happens to mine.
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content