67 Camaro - Black on Black

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 67 Camaro - Black on Black

Post by Ian67 on September 3rd 2010, 3:13 pm

Well good luck on your future project. I've only been working on the trunk lid so I haven't thought about taking distance shots yet. I actually just removed the lid from the car two days ago and haven't had a chance to get it out in the sun yet. I'll probably put it in the sun to take some pictures once I get this polishing thing down pat.

I just bought a Meguiar's polishing microfiber cloth so now there is nothing to blame but myself or my buffer. I'm going outside to try again in about 10 minutes so if all goes well I'll snap a few pictures outside for you.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on September 3rd 2010, 3:59 pm

Well I went out and polished again and still didn't get the result that I wanted. I've probably had the buffer on the paint for at least 35-40 minutes and now that I can actually remove the grease (yes the new cloth is awsome) I can see the 2000 grit scratches still! It's like my polishing pad and the UC arn't getting through scratches. I'm a bit annoyed as I thought that the UC and the yellow polishing pad would be enough to do it. Not only am I questioning the pad but the buffer too. Perhaps I should have gotten a higher quality buffer for this.

Tomorrow night I will start fresh with the clean buffing pad and a smaller amount of UC and see if that helps. Perhaps my initial low speed with too much UC just saturated the pad and is now preventing good results. If that doesn't work I might need to get a higher cut pad or even switch to a rubbing compound first? Any new ideas?

If you want to see additonal pictures of this project (trunk lid) or the rest of my car feel free to browse my Google Photo Album.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on September 4th 2010, 12:25 am

Don't give up, you are close, you just need a different pad for cutting the 2000 grit marks out, the one you have is for final buff.

You need a w7000 cutting pad, start on a slow setting and work a small area at a time, then as the UC starts to go away increase the speed a little in till there is not much if any compound left, this is how you use UC

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-W7000-8-Inch-Soft-Cutting/dp/B0002NYE48
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on September 4th 2010, 3:24 am

I felt confident with your reply so I just bought the exact same pad (only in 6.5") from the same seller I got the others from. I really thought the yellow pad (for mild cut) was going to be enough. I knew I should have bought one of each just in case. Thats what I get for trying to cheap out.

I appreciate your inspiration, I've been second guessing myself after this polishing business as things don't seem to be working as smooth as the rest of it. As soon as I can nail this down I'll be set to strip the rest of the car and follow the same path.

More updates to come when the new pad arrives.

(Meguiars Soft Buff Cutting Pad 6.5" - hopefully the answer to my problems)
Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on September 4th 2010, 12:59 pm

Just be very careful around edges & body lines those can be done by hand.

If your buffer is a rotary, keep it as flat as you can and move it slowly over the area and let it work, its ok for the surface to feel warm to the touch, just not hot.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on September 4th 2010, 1:03 pm

Also as your pad gets build up on it don't wash it, get your self a stiff nylon brush and just run the buffer, and hold the brush on the pad to clean it.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on October 13th 2010, 5:39 pm

I've polished the trunk lid a bit more and am finally starting to see some respectable results. I'm now confident that my polisher is just to slow to get me the results I want... in the time that I want them. It will work, but it's going to take me a lot longer than I expected. I've had less time lately so the whole project has slowed a bit. The following pics show some results, but I'm going to have to go at it again soon.

I took a week off work and managed to strip the passenger side of my car down and get it primed. Unfortunately I used all 10 of my grinder strip wheels and burnt out my grinder. Luckily CT replaced the grinder as it was under warranty. The problem with the grinder, and running out of strip wheels slowed my progress and I didn't get the whole car done as I would have liked. I also uncovered a mountain of bondo on the rear quarter and front fender lip. It's weird as it looks like they went crazy with the bondo, and they didn't really need too as the curves of the metal are pretty good as they are. There is a lot of weld lines, dings and dents that I didn't expect to find, so I just primed over them all to keep the rust out. I'm sure I can fix the small stuff but I'm nervous about the back quarter as I don't know much about this stuff and it looks ugly. Anyway, here are some pictures of my work in progress.

All that filler is my handy work. I just blobbed it on as it was drying so quick that I didn't
have time to spread it out and take off the excess. Just means more sanding for me, yaaahh!

It almost looks like chrome molding holes... but I actually think there just dings as there are no holes or weld marks.

More damage around the front fender well. I'll fix it up but most of it should be hidden by the chrome molding.

Note to self: If you're not going to remove the clothes, at least cover it up before you strip/sand in the garage!

Next step is to buy some more grinder wheels and get the rest of the car stripped. Thats the plan for next week. I think cleaning the garage after will be the hardest job so far! Smile

IaN
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by zeconcepts on October 13th 2010, 8:59 pm

Its looking great man!! Keep the pics coming! I'm almost done with my hood and roof on the probe, will get pics up hopefully buy next weekend.
zeconcepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on October 23rd 2010, 1:03 am

Just another quick update. I've managed to strip the driver side and back of the car. I've still gotta strip the hood, front panels and the spoiler, but it won't be long until it's all primed and ready for bodywork. There are only 4 areas (so far) that require serious attention and the rest are just small dings that require a quick fill. So I'm excited to get working on it so that I can throw on some more primer and get to paint. Oh yes.. and the sanding.. I'm going to love sanding too!

The lens has some water spots on it, but yep, the car is almost completely stripped. Wow, check out those wheels.

Now with primer, you can see a body issue right where the quarter meets the roof.

The back of the car was almost mint, just a small dent in the lower right side.

Still gotta paint the trunk hinges, but I'll probably do a scuff and spray on those.

This is after about 10 minutes worth of sweeping the garage floor. Note that this is about the same
size as the pile from when I stripped the passenger side. The pile is almost 2' around.

Next week I'll strip the rest and get them primed. If I have time I'll start on the bodywork. Slowly but surely.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 23rd 2010, 10:57 am

Exellent, applaude

Its always an adventure when you start stripping one down,,,,
ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mapexgurl on October 23rd 2010, 1:50 pm

Looking great! You're very lucky to have such a clean body to start with.
mapexgurl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : '72 Charger
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on October 29th 2010, 2:35 am

The whole car is stripped and primed now... well minus one side of the spoiler and a little bit on the cowl. It's going to need more coats of primer and a ton (for me) of bodywork to get it paint ready. I spent about 4 hours cleaning the garage today and it's going to need more work once I start and move the car tomorrow. Here's some more pics.

Starting to look like a grey Camaro... what a great accomplishment to get the car so far.. lots of work left though Smile

The back half of the spoiler is still blue but it looks pretty good from this angle.
Tomorrow I will see how the hood dries and consider putting on a 2nd coat of primer.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on October 30th 2010, 12:10 am

LOOKING GOOD!
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zeconcepts on November 1st 2010, 8:10 pm

Great work on the primer man! Cant wait to see some coats of black on that bad boy!
zeconcepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on November 14th 2011, 1:25 pm

It's been just over a year since my last update. How time passes! I've done quite a bit to the interior of my vehicle but I've procrastinated (due to funding issues) on the exterior bodywork and whatnot. I did recently purchase a DA polisher to get a solid idea what all those hours spent on the trunk lid can look like. I'll throw a few pictures up. I will probably do some more polishing on it in the new year but it looks good for 5-10 minutes worth of work. Here's hoping the rest of the car will look as good, if not better.

Before compounding with Meguiar's UC on the left, and after on the right. Still needs work but is still a much sharper, scratch free image. I should have dusted it off before taking pics.

This is after compounding the whole thing. Night and day compared to the pre-DA images.

Here is my DA, compound and the semi-finished lid. I've since thrown a coat of NXT 2.0 wax on it to keep it safe over the winter. It's probably has a deeper, blacker finish than our factory paint vehicle.

I look forward to finishing it off and getting back to work on this in the new year. I'll probably do some small things on the interior while it's cold outside and save the big stuff for later.

IaN
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on November 14th 2011, 10:12 pm

Mirror finish, I love the ultimate compound ,polish and wax, if you get the rest of the car lookin that great it will be a real head turner!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 15th 2011, 10:55 am

Looks like a mirror finish to me, great job thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 16th 2011, 11:15 pm

Looks real good. Isn't sanding fun? Twisted Evil
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by interceptor on November 29th 2011, 6:39 pm

That finish looks great! It's like glass Very Happy
Where did you get your polisher from?
interceptor
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on November 29th 2011, 7:25 pm

Looks very good. That cutting pad is the same one I used.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on May 2nd 2012, 2:44 am

It's been a while since I posted here and it's time to cease the silence. I actually haven't done much of anything on the exterior of my car but have spent some time on the interior. Over the last week I've collected the items required to redo the upholstery on my seats. Anyone who has followed my project would know that I'm as cheap as they come and you'd never catch me spending $300 on new upholstery. How about $30 on Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray!

I bought a can of clear Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter and 2 cans of black Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray. My seats were the factory blue and the upholstery was original and fading. Overall the seats had no rips or serious signs of wear, just general ageing. Since it was a cosmetic restoration I felt no need to re-upholster so simply changing them over to my new black interior theme seemed like the way to go, but not without a big speed bump...

I started by cleaning the seats with a wax and grease remover. I went through every crack with a nylon toothbrush and a clean rag. Then I applied 2 coats of the promoter and 3 coats of black. When it dried (about 10-15 minutes), it looked like total hell! Some of it 60% of the seats surface looked dull and almost grey.

I was so unsure of what to do, I emailed Dupli-Color for some kind of direction. They replied with a confident explanation and instructions. The main idea is that because the seats are 45 years old, they likely required more promoter. So they told me to do 4 more coats of promoter (the rest of the can) and at least 3 more coats of black. So I did about 4.5 coats of promoter and finished off my second can of black with 4 more coats. That's a total of 6.5 coats of promoter and 7 coats of black.

However, the results are amazing! The pictures look good but even in person it looks like new upholstery. Even the color tone and shine is a match for black vinyl upholstery. I did the same procedure on my rear bench seat last year and have moved it around the garage, in and out of the car dozens of times since, and it still looks as good as when I sprayed it.

I'd be interested to hear the long term usage results from someone that has used Dupli-Color or SEM on their seats. It looks good and seems durable to me but then again, I havn't had it for years with frequent regular use.

Also, I'm going to pickup my new driver side quarter panel tomorrow. $400 for a new one but it was just too far gone to repair. Going to replace it (probably take 100 pictures) and then start on the dents and dings and then it's back to priming and rolling. My excitement is high.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 2nd 2012, 2:28 pm

I wouldn't mind changing my interior color, but mine has a lot of cloth.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on March 10th 2013, 2:45 pm

Wow, so another year blows by, but I have progress to report. When I posted last May, I had finished my seats and had to pickup my new passenger side rear quarter panel. We'll, I got the panel and replaced it. Their were problems, purchases and a welding learning curve but, it turned out great!

Here's what $340 gets you in Canada. Almost didn't fit in my vehicle for the ride home.

I pulled the rear glass by running a piece of fence wire around the seal. Hah, I didn't even break it.

Using a 1/32 grinder cutting disc, I cut away as much of the panel as I could.

Used a blowtorch to melt the lead on the sail panel, then drilled out the remaining spot welds with a spot weld cutter.

I used a Blair standard point spot weld cutter, it looks just like this.

Drilled holes in the new panel to replicate spot welds like the original panel.

My father in law came out to help, actually, I think I helped him a lot more than he helped me.
We found a good use for my clamp straps and vice grips.

The panel fit pretty good but did require some massaging to line up the body lines. It really couldn't
have turned out better. All the welds were sanded smooth and I've since primed it.

I'll be starting on bodywork either today or tomorrow, maybe both. Billions of pictures to follow!

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 10th 2013, 4:20 pm

Welcome back! Nice job on the quarter. Full panels can really test ones patience. Lol
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on March 11th 2013, 12:52 pm

It's been a while since I've worked on the car, and my last project was the trunk lid and it was pretty straight forward. I decided to write out a list of steps in what would seem to be the best order. This was more for me but I wanted to post them here so I didn't loose it off my phone. I went beyond just the exterior stuff, but I want this site to be a record of it all.

Restoration List
Clean damaged areas
Sand scratches and damaged areas (220g)
Prime just scratches/nicks
Hammer/dolly obvious damage
Apply filler to damaged areas (1st Coat)
Sand filled area (80/120/220g)
Spray guide coat on all panels
Remove windshield
Block sand one panel at a time (220g)
Apply filler to low spots (2nd coat)
Spray guide coat on/around low spots
Sand door edges, cill plate and hinges (320g)
Block sand low area panels (220g)
Clean exterior with wax/grease remover
Apply coat of primer to exterior (not thinned)
Spray door edges, hinges & tough spots
Mask tires, interior and garage floor
Wet sand primed exterior (400g)

Mix paint 60/40 mineral spirits
Apply 1st and 2nd coat of paint
Wet sand (400g)
Apply 3rd and 4th coat of paint
Wet sand (600g)
Apply 5th and 6th coat of paint
Wet sand (800g)
Apply 7th and 8th coat of paint
Wet sand (1000g)
Apply 9th and 10th coat of paint (final)

Reinstall door panels / seals
Install floor shifter
Restore and install floor console
Reinstall seats
Fix dash lighting (dead bulbs/ground)
Reinstall dash components
Reinstall stereo system
Clean/polish exterior components (chrome, lights etc)

(at least 4 weeks later)
Wet sand (1500g)
Polish with red pad on Meguiars G110v3
Reinstall glass
Reinstall exterior components
Remove wheels and paint black details
Polish wheels and tires
Replace center grille
Install lower spoiler

Obviously their will be lots of random tasks between all of this, probably lots of headaches too, but at least I have some direction. If anyone sees an error or a recommendation please let me know. Work starts after lunch today!

Ian

Ian67
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content