1989 Honda Accord Brightside Dark Blue

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1989 Honda Accord Brightside Dark Blue

Post by tzyoung on December 19th 2007, 3:30 am

So exams are finally over and I can start painting my good ol' daily driver. This car is an 89 accord that I bought for $150. Now, for $150 the car is excellent shape; however, I want to do away with the faded paint and chalky spots that 18 years of wear and tear have put on this car.
Here are some photos of what the car looks like now.

I want this paint job to look as good as possible so there are some little dings here and there that need addressing. I walked around the car with a water based marker and circled any imperfections that I saw in the current finish. The best way to spot these dings is to look along the surface at an angle and watch for differences in the way light is reflected. Here are a few pictures of the areas that I need to work on.

The passenger quarter panel looks like a golf ball.

These dings will be filled with a surface glaze instead of rage body filler because none of them are over 1/16" deep.

After I identified all of my problem areas, I began removing any parts that aren't going to be painted. This will allow for a cleaner-looking paint job as well as reduce the amount of masking that I have to do. I started by removing the ventshades that I hated anyway. In this picture, I am cutting the foam tape with a piece of copper magnet wire.

Next, I used a razor blade to scrape of the vinyl pinstripes (another automotive accessory that I despise).

Using a scrap piece of steel with a knife edge ground on, I cut the foam tape behind the emblems on the rear of the car then they simply peeled away. (tip: depending on the car these could have bolts holding them and it is good practice to take measurements to put them back in the proper place once the car is finished and it is time for reassembly.

The taillights and plastic filler plate were removed along with all the license plate lenses.

In lieu of a conventional drip rail, this car has three different weatherstrips around the top of the door. I removed the outermost weatherstrip allowing access to the side windshield moldings which were also removed.

I then disassembled the passenger side front door removing the glass, outer door handle, mirror and all of the window trim. I will do this for all of the doors allowing me to paint under everything, hopefully resulting in a longer lasting paint job.

Tomorrow I should be able to begin preparing the surface for paint and fill the dings and scratches. Then I can roll on with this project. I know this was a lengthy post on just taking the car apart, but as it has been said before, the key to a great looking paint job is in the preparation. Bear with me, I'll get to the good stuff soon.

-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1989 Honda Accord Brightside Dark Blue

Post by (null).exe on December 19th 2007, 3:35 am

Nice prep work!

looking forward to see the paint started!

something I will say from working with dark paint (black), watch the cleanliness of your surface. the littlest speck of dust or dirt on the surface will show up horribly on such a dark paint color, whereas the people with lighter colors (white, almond, yellow, etc) can get away with tiny imperfections.

i cleaned my surface with mineral spirits just before i put on each coat and I have a heavy-duty fan sucking air out of my garage while i work.
(null).exe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Job/hobbies : Air Traffic Controller, Track Racer, Competitive Fencer.
Project : 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile http://nullexe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coconut Eater on December 19th 2007, 8:14 am

Amazing price on that thing! I bought one for parts for three times that! I can't wait to see the final results. cheers

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 19th 2007, 9:05 am

Excellent start. Don't mind the lengthy posts they are encouraged. The more knowledge and instruction we can add to the forums the better. Good luck and keep us posted on your project sculpt

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1380 on December 19th 2007, 10:15 am

I'm interested in seeing how the Brightside paint goes on. It was my backup if Ace didn't have a color I liked or couldn't mix one for me. Looks like you've already got a good start. Keep it up.
frank1380
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Project : 1997 Ford F-150
Registration date : 2007-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dumkopf on December 19th 2007, 10:37 pm

You should use dry ice for those little dings. Pick up some dry ice and just rub it on the dent. Assuming you're in a decently warm part of the world it'll pop that dent right out.
dumkopf
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 20th 2007, 1:05 am

Here is a mini-update on my project.

I had to work today so I only got to do a little disassembly tonight. I pulled off those side moldings that prevent shopping cart and door damage at the grocery store. There was several years of grime behind them which is one of the reasons I decided to remove so much stuff from this car.

Here's a picture of the side molding showing the dirt, dust and deterioration that needs to be dealt with. I'm still up in the air over whether to paint them body color or refinish with SEM rubber bumper paint. Any input?

And finally, heres a picture of the trunk where all of the stuff I removed is being stored.

It going slowly, but maybe when I get everyone to leave me alone, I can get started on the body work and get some painting done.

Until later,
Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 1:35 am

I painted my side molding the same color as the truck. Mine is plastic though. Not sure how the rustoleum would stick to that rubber

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highgloss on December 20th 2007, 1:58 am

tzyoung wrote: This car is an 89 accord that I bought for $150.

Wow! $150 - thought I got a steal on my Yota for $1100. You'll be able to sell the car for 20X that much with just a $50 roll on paint job cheers

Nice job on the body work.

Highgloss
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 21st 2007, 2:27 am

Hello,
No pictures today. I got back from work late today, and I forgot my camera when I got started on disassembly tonight. All of the side windows have been removed along with all of the moldings. My next move will be to fill in all of the dings and scuff the existing paint.

Here's the scoop on the $150 car. I bought two of these things at one time from a neighbor that wanted them out of his yard. $300 later I owned two mostly complete accords, an 86 and an 89. The 86 was a manual transmission with fuel injection and the 89 was a carbed automatic. I prefer manual transmissions and fuel injection but the 86 had been riced out by the previous owner. Read that as carpet torn out, back seats gone, and white latex paint job. So I took the engine and transmission from the 86 and popped them over in the 89 along with the front cabin wiring harness from the 86. It took about a month to complete the swap and was the best learning experience I have had since I started wrenching on cars. I love American cars, but this Honda has been one of the easiest cars to work on that I have ever owned. Well that little rant had nothing to do with painting. I just didn't want to mislead anyone with the $150 price tag; I have quite a bit of time invested as well.

Oh yeah, my total paint cost so far is $85.00 for the two quarts of Brightside at my local West Marine store. I could have ordered it cheaper, but I wanted to have it in hand when I got started.

Until next time,
Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 21st 2007, 8:37 am

Wow good deal for 2 cars. I didn't know that brightside was so expensive. I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted Wink

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 21st 2007, 10:05 am

wow, thats still a pretty good deal 3 yrs ago i bought an 89 accord for $250 with a blown motor so i would say $300 for both was a hell of a deal.
ok so stop forgetting pics LOL, i dont know about everybody else here but i am a "PIC WHORE" Very Happy Very Happy lol!
you have a good game plan looks like, taking alot of prep time, imo makes all the difference in the end result. keep us posted.
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 21st 2007, 10:10 am

It doesnt matter how you paint a vehicle whether it be rolled or sprayed by the best painter in the world, in the end your paintjob is only as good as your prep work. Bad prep work = bad paintjob every time

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on December 22nd 2007, 3:12 am

^^ agreed!
And by the looks of this,its going to look awesome! popcorn
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Body Work and Door Jambs

Post by tzyoung on December 22nd 2007, 4:34 am

Hey Guys,
I'm back and this time I brought a boat load of pictures by popular demand. Today's work session included lots of body work and some of the Brightside was finally put on the car.
I started out by using my DA sander to sand and feather out all of the blue circles that I drew on a few days ago.

Here's a pic of a spot sanded down on the hood

A bigger shot of the hood with all of the dings sanded out

My trusty old DA. This thing is probably older than me.

This is a shot of the "golf ball" quarter panel with each ding sanded out

The anatomy of a ding. The light part in the center is the clear coat that isn't getting hit by the sand paper. The point is to fill this depression level with filler so that the surface reflects light evenly.

The weapons in the fight against dings. I'm using Dynatron putty-cote. Get it or a comparable product from a paint supplier. Don't skimp on this stuff. That cheap one part glaze coat in the red tubes is junk and will shrink like crazy.

These shot are of the putty-cot applied to some of the affected areas. I would have shot pictures of it going on, but I only have two hands and all three of them were busy.

Here's some pictures of the filler after being sanded down

This section of the fender needed some special attention to repair the creased fender lip.
Here it is after the filler was sanded smooth.

And here it is in primer. My little brother even gave me props for the quality of that repair.

After all of the filler was smoothed I sprayed on a little gloss black lacquer as a sort of guide coat.
This is the stuff.

Here it is on the car. I didn't use it as a sanding guide coat, but I used the gloss to sight down the panel and see if there were still any irregularities. If it shows up in the gloss here, then it will definitely be in the final paint finish.

This is the golf ball quarter again. You can just make out one little low spot right in the body crease.

This turned up about three spots that needed attention. But I found that the hardened lacquer was just clogging the sand paper so I removed it with some acetone and a rag before applying more filler to the spots that needed it.

A coat or two of Rust-o-leum automotive primer left the quarter looking nice and smooth.

OK, now for the main attraction
JAMBING OUT....
I started painting the door jambs tonight before I left so maybe they can be re-coated tomorrow.
Here are some pics of the jabs after being prepped for paint.

Here's an action shot of me painting the jambs with a foam brush.

Some shots of the paint just after application

I don't know about you guys but that dark blue looks an awful lot like cobalt blue to me. Which is awesome and I have to say that I love this color.

Working with the Brightside with a brush gave me some initial impressions of the paint. Its consistency it similar to that of rusto straight from the can. But this stuff has an awesome amount of shine and really does self level 100 times better than the Rustoleum ever did. See that paint on the door jambs made me realize how awesome this thing is gonna look.

Shouldn't be took much longer and I be rolling on my first coat.
Stay tuned it's getting fun now!
-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dumkopf on December 22nd 2007, 5:36 am

Very nice progress. Looking good.
dumkopf
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 22nd 2007, 10:53 am

Good job man. I might have to try the brightside on my next project

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 22nd 2007, 11:04 am

GREAT JOB, that color is gonna be awesome on there, just curious with the way you handled alot of the repair and prep do you have any autobody experience? keep up the good work and keep the pics coming rock
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 22nd 2007, 1:05 pm

Hey Badbyrdconcepts,
Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I'm just a poor aero-engineering student and an amateur in auto body, but I have built several RC aircraft over the years and the finishing techniques are basically the same. I have also had plenty of experience doing a little body work here and there on my own cars. If you can't tell I don't normally farm out my mechanic work; that's why I love this paint technique so much.
-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 23rd 2007, 12:43 am

very cool,
i also feel the same away about having somebody else do any work on my car "if i can do it I am going to". i was just asking about the auto body cause of some of the things you did is the way alot of pro's do it and not just everybody knows about. just a lil tip for next time though, on your guide coat you really don't need as much as you sprayed just a light mist will reveal your low spots. and then you don't have as much sanding to do.
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

First Coat

Post by tzyoung on December 23rd 2007, 3:11 am

Hello again,
I got some more pictures of my progress. I finished up the body work this afternoon and rolled on the first coat. That advice the badbyrdconcepts mentioned earlier about the guide coat is spot on. I put on a thicker coat of lacquer in order to check the gloss. When using as an actual guide coat you want the sprayed paint to resemble powder on the surface. If you put it on thick like I did then it will clog any sand paper that you apply to it. Thats why I used a acetone soaked rag to take it off and apply some primer then a light guide coat. The lacquer will be left in the low spots.

But all that aside, lets look at some pictures. Here is the car wiped down and taped off.

These are some action shots of the paint going on

Here are some shots of the car with the whole first coat on.

This is a shot of the lower door skin. This gives an idea of the gloss that this paint has

I know the pics aren't that clear but the low temps allowed this stuff to self level and leave very little orange peel. So if I can keep this going I may be able to only wet sand the car one time. Anyway this I what it looks like so far. Feel free to comment/criticize, I should be laying on another coat on Christmas eve morning.

later
-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 23rd 2007, 9:51 am

looking very good, i really do like that color choice too.
keep up the great work, and i too will be working on my car on xmas eve and possibly xmas day also, guess it's kinda my present too meeeeee LOL Very Happy hit it

keep the pics coming
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 23rd 2007, 10:06 am

I keep telling myself that this paint job is a christmas present to myself too. In all actuality I have to work on it because I need to have it finished before I head back to Raleigh for school. But I'll take pictures as soon as I get back to it.
Merry Christmas,
-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 23rd 2007, 11:44 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS TOOO EVERYBODY ALSO!!!!
santa
hey i see you got a camaro project? whats up with that? applaude
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm

I painted the Camaro for my brother a couple of summers ago when this whole idea was just getting started. If you'd like I will gladly answer any questions about it over in that thread. Like I have said before I love bragging about my projects. By the way, I cant wait to see how your Trans-Am turns out. That color scheme you have pictured on your project thread looks awesome. And keep us posted on that interior I love seeing custom fiberglass work like that and I have been thinking about building a console for my accord.

-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content