Hey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey

Post by snafu on July 23rd 2010, 11:09 am

Hello Everyone.

I'm getting ready to begin my second roller paint job on my S10 and I'll start a thread in the Projects section once I get going.

Here's the first one. Brightside Polyureathane.

Overall, it came out well, but I'm not 100% satisfied and I'll be painting it again. I wanted decent driver quality and I acheived that, but I know I can do better so I want to give it another shot. I figure after I get my truck painted, I should have my technique down pretty good. The issues with this paint job:

1. My prep wasn't as good as it could be in some areas. This will be an easy fix.
2. Sanding scratches. Urethane is so hard that its difficult to remove scratches once they get in there. Next time it plan to keep the final sanding to a minimum.
3. Paint texturing in a few areas. I haven't figured this out yet, but there's some sort of reaction happening in a few areas that began about nine months after the car was painted.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 23rd 2010, 1:04 pm

welcome....great looking Cougar?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 26th 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks. Yes, she's a '69 Cougar.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 27th 2010, 11:09 am

very nice!!! would love to see more pics please
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 28th 2010, 12:30 pm

Here's what I started with. Original paint looks OK in the picture, but there's some rust starting under the vinyl and behind the rear wheels. Also, I never did like the color much. sick

Top off.

Rust behind rear wheel. I cut it out and glued in a patch using panel adhesive. I was very impressed with this stuff and I'm confident my patch isn't going anywhere.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 28th 2010, 12:42 pm

I had never done bodywork before and this process dragged on over some months. My method was to work out a dent as best I could, then leave it and come back the next day and look at it again with a fresh set of eyes. I usually found I could improve on my work. I did the same thing when I began applying filler. The bodywork took a lot more time than I planned on, but it came out better than expected.

This long block helped me find waves and dents I couldn't see.

This is the filler I used. A little pricey, but it sanded out nice.

I used Rustoleum primer anywhere I had sanded to bare metal or used any filler.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 28th 2010, 12:52 pm

Paint. I'm guessing i ended up with about 12 coats. I lost count. I sanded between every coat thinking this would give me better results. I believe all it did was drag out the process. Next time I will sand every other coat. I used Brightside and their brushing liquid. I never measured, but I just tried to keep it at 2% milk consistency.

I found this paint bucket at Ace and it works great for this work. I began using a shallow tray and i would concentrate so much on what my hand with the brush was doing, I would forget my other hand was holding a paint tray and spill it. doh

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 28th 2010, 12:57 pm

I painted the engine bay while I had the fenders off. I used rattlecan VHT high-temp engine paint. It sparayed on nice and seems to be very tough.

Here's the fender after color sanding. I sanded with 800 only in areas that really needed it, 1000, 1500, 2000. Next time I will skip the 2000.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 28th 2010, 1:09 pm

I don't really have any good prictures of the car. White doesn't photograph well in the sun.

I put some steel wheels on. I brushed the paint on the wheels and it was not fun. Crying or Very sad IMO, rolling/brushing works great for large fairly flat surfaces like car exteriors, but not so great for anything with irregular shapes or a lot of detail.

I started taking my S10 apart. I'll post in in the projects section once I get going. The truck only has a couple of dents to deal with and no rust so it should go a lot quicker. Last night I spent an hour stripping the foam tape left from the moldings. Its been in an accident and I want to align the front sheetmetal better. Hopefully, I'll start painting in a few weeks.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on July 28th 2010, 6:00 pm

Very nicely done! Looks like you learned some great lessons on your first car!

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 89
Job/hobbies : DHS
Project : 1973 Opel GT
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 29th 2010, 12:06 am

It's a good thing you took the vinyl off and fixed the rust under it, otherwise it would have spread real bad. I never liked vinyl just for the fact that you can't see under it. My first serious paint/restore project was a lead sled style 1950 merc in 1972, nosed, decked, frenched, etc and it had a vinyl top with a small rip in one cornor. I took it off and found a rust patch almost 2ft across. It was just surface at that point but in a couple more years................. Looks better without the vinyl anyway.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 29th 2010, 8:20 am

Snafu,
Great looking ride! You did a fantastic job thumbs up It seems like you really took your time and planned out your restoration. Evercoat fillers are great stuff. Well worth the money but they do sand easy. You don't want to use junk filler.
Question, that Rusto bare metal primer was that rolled or sprayed?
Thw white looks fantastic and I bet people must be shocked when you tell them it was rolled.
The "dog dish" caps give it a real sleeper look, what engine is in it?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 29th 2010, 12:20 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Very nicely done! Looks like you learned some great lessons on your first car!

Jim Cool

Thanks. It was indeed a great learning experience and that was one of the facters that motivated me to paint my own car. As I've said, I want to redo it because I can take what I've learned this go around and make it even better next time. Very Happy
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 29th 2010, 12:26 pm

retired plumber wrote:It's a good thing you took the vinyl off and fixed the rust under it, otherwise it would have spread real bad. I never liked vinyl just for the fact that you can't see under it. My first serious paint/restore project was a lead sled style 1950 merc in 1972, nosed, decked, frenched, etc and it had a vinyl top with a small rip in one cornor. I took it off and found a rust patch almost 2ft across. It was just surface at that point but in a couple more years................. Looks better without the vinyl anyway.
Mike

I like the look with out the vinyl better also. I do feel I was lucky there wasn't more rust under there. I think some GM cars didn't get full paint under the vinyl tops, but the entire roof on this car had factory paint. I tried to save the paint for my basecoat, but some of it came off when I was removing the glue from the top,
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 29th 2010, 12:40 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:Snafu,
Great looking ride! You did a fantastic job thumbs up It seems like you really took your time and planned out your restoration. Evercoat fillers are great stuff. Well worth the money but they do sand easy. You don't want to use junk filler.
Question, that Rusto bare metal primer was that rolled or sprayed?
Thw white looks fantastic and I bet people must be shocked when you tell them it was rolled.
The "dog dish" caps give it a real sleeper look, what engine is in it?

Thanks. I rolled the Rustoleum primer. I think I thinned it a little with mineral spirits. The Rustoleum sanded very easily and I think I did a couple of coats. I followed this up with one coat of white Interlux Pre-Kote before I started rolling the paint and this was the worst part of the whole experience for me. I put the Pre-Kote on a little thick, thinking it would sand out nicely like the Rusto but it dried hard as a rock with lots of orange peel. I had to spend a couple of days sanding this down. After that, I kept my coats thin!

People are surprised to learn that the paint was rolled and I receive lots of compliments. I've been enjoying the car this summer and I've taken it to a couple of shows. I think the best part is that I'm not afraid to drive it or leave it in a parking lot. If the paint gets damaged, I can easily fix it myself. I think if I had paid a bodyshop to do this work, I would be more careful with my car and not enjoy it as much.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 29th 2010, 12:45 pm

Engine is a 351W, originally 2v, which was the base engine for the '69 Cougar. I put a 4v on and it has plenty of power for me and still seems to get decent mileage.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 29th 2010, 2:32 pm

snafu wrote:I think the best part is that I'm not afraid to drive it or leave it in a parking lot. If the paint gets damaged, I can easily fix it myself. I think if I had paid a bodyshop to do this work, I would be more careful with my car and not enjoy it as much.

That is why I decided to roll my 63. I use the car as a daily driver for 6 months out of the year, everyday to work, rain or shine. If I was to spent a couple of G's on a paint job I would never drive/enjoy the car.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 29th 2010, 3:30 pm

I like those early Falcons. My brother has a '65 Futura hardtop and that's probably the reason I ended up with a Ford instead of a GM.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on July 29th 2010, 7:16 pm

Great job on the Cougar, I recognize it from the Cougar site, glad to see you here.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 29th 2010, 10:11 pm

I was a Chevy/GM guy up until I got the Falcon 3 years ago. The Falcon has been a great little driver
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content