1992 Geo Storm GSi

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1992 Geo Storm GSi

Post by 0re0 on November 8th 2010, 8:13 pm

I have never done any sort of cosmetic work to a car, so I am always afraid that I am doing something wrong and I'm tired of fighting the battle of the gloss. so if someone could give me a quick writeup of how to properly polish this paint, I would be very much obliged.

My materials consist of: A wal-mart special random orbital 6" buffer (with terry and microfiber bonnets), Meguiar's ultimate compound, Turtle polish and rubbing compounds, and a few other miscellaneous items.

Hot tip. If you are tired of holding your sandpaper and having it slip around or getting hand cramps, and are afraid of using a block (as you should be):: sandwich a moist kitchen sponge between a sanding block and the sandpaper and you now have a nice soft sanding block that wont quickly burn through the paint or cramp your hand: a couple caveats though, make sure the surface is clean as you wont feel the debris, and if you are using coarser paper it will clog quickly.

0re0
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 24
Project : 1992 Geo Storm GSi
Registration date : 2010-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 8th 2010, 9:12 pm

I'm sorry but your "hot tip" is wrong. You NEED a hard sanding block when you are sanding orange peel because the soft sponge will follow the texture of the o.p. Where as the hard face of the block will allow you to sand down the o.p. to a smooth finish which is what you need. You can use the sponge method if you are sanding the origional factory tho. Works fine for that
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 8th 2010, 9:16 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't finish answering your questions. There are several posts here explaining how to buff and polish paint. You might try the search function using the words buff and polish. I am sure you will find what you need to know.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on November 8th 2010, 9:54 pm

retired plumber wrote:I'm sorry but your "hot tip" is wrong. You NEED a hard sanding block when you are sanding orange peel because the soft sponge will follow the texture of the o.p. Where as the hard face of the block will allow you to sand down the o.p. to a smooth finish which is what you need. You can use the sponge method if you are sanding the origional factory tho. Works fine for that
Mike

I have found very good results from this method. not trying to start a war, but i doubt the thick backing paper on good sandpaper has nearly the flexibility to follow fine orange peel. also, I forget to mention I used a kitchen sponge with the "scrubby pad", with the stiffer scrub side towards the paper, which would also help prevent "following".

Not saying its perfect, but it worked well for me
0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 9th 2010, 9:30 pm

No war here. If if works for you, fine. Its just I have been painting for almost 50 years and I know what works FOR ME and that is what I use when I respond it these posts. I do admit I am NOT all knowing Laughing and there is new stuff coming along all the time so............

Thats whats cool about this forum. What we are doing is out of the box so anything goes and we share our findings and we can agree to disagree. I do use a sponge sometimes, depending on what I am doing but for orange peel I will continue to use a block. You enjoy a sponge. I'm glad you found something that works for you thumbs up

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on April 4th 2011, 5:41 pm

Oops totally forgot about you guys

It's a quick and dirty job, nowhere near perfect, but I am pretty happy with it and should clear up questions about using custom colored Ace brand paint.

0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel on April 5th 2011, 9:40 am

Nice, I am about to go and pick up some of the same stuff to color match it to my cars paint. I just cant find Carnival red anywhere I go to see if it will match mine. I rather not take the chance and order it to find out it doesn't.

Did you buff it out?
DarkAngel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on April 5th 2011, 1:01 pm

Yes, I used Turtle rubbing compound, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, then Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. All done by hand using smooth cotton cloths.

For wax I used Meguiars Gold Class Paste
0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel on April 5th 2011, 8:14 pm

Looks great.
DarkAngel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on April 8th 2011, 2:02 am

Started on door jambs (Black Rustoleum + foam brushes)

0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenMachine on April 18th 2011, 3:20 pm

I want to use a lime green too, so let us know how it shines up. Really though when it is that bright a green you can get by without lots of shine.
GreenMachine
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on April 13th 2012, 12:49 am

Well, looks like I will be starting this up yet again, I took a leap of faith with the tinted Ace paint, and although I absolutely adore the color, It will not hold a shine (someone mentioned this may be because the dyes they use are satin). So I will be trying this again using mixed Rustoleum. My first step will be grabbing a pint of each Hunter Green, Yellow and Blue, and see if I can get close to the color I have now. Ace does have a premade "safety green" but I am now a bit hesitant. Has anyone had luck with the "off-the-shelf" ace paint?
0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on April 13th 2012, 9:26 pm

Is it even possible to add a clear coat on top of it? I'm not sure who makes a good clear coat though. Just wondering.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on April 16th 2012, 4:59 pm

Yes, Rustoleum even makes a clear, However clear coating would remove one of the major benefits of these paint jobs: Being able to easily/quickly repair and repaint.
0re0
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down