91 Z24 Safety Red

View previous topic View next topic Go down

91 Z24 Safety Red

Post by Joshuaisarocker on August 15th 2010, 8:09 pm

Hows it goin everyone? Just joined the site a few days ago, however i've been a spectator on this site for a while. I've been really impressed with a lot of your projects, and I've gotten a lot of ideas.

As far as my project, its been my daily driver for about 3 years. I'm an avid member over at V6Z24. It was Robogeeks Cavalier that got me wandering about the $50 paint job.

My cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117353

The car wasn't in bad shape, no rust, but a few dents. I repaired them as best I could. However the front bumper was a chore. I'm running a phase 1 Z24 front end with Phase 2 skirts and rear bumper. The front bumper was in pretty bad shape, so it slowed me down, but heres what I got so far.

I'm using 2 Parts paint, 1 part Penetrol, with 6 inch rollers. I'm painting over my old paint, so I began sanding with 320 grit, and block sanded with 400 grit before paint.

Seems to be rolling on ok. Rolls on really thick which seems good. Penetrol is keeping the orange peel down, however I think I should add a bit more penetrol. I'm thinking with this kind of coverage, i should be able to sand between coats. What do ya'll think?
Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Cars, guitar, drums, video games
Project : 91 Cavalier Z24
Registration date : 2010-08-10

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117353

Back to top Go down

Re: 91 Z24 Safety Red

Post by JimVonBaden on August 15th 2010, 8:16 pm

Looks pretty good.

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 89
Job/hobbies : DHS
Project : 1973 Opel GT
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 15th 2010, 9:32 pm

I found that when using the Penitrol I still needed to use Mineral spirits to keep the orange peel away. It might just be the dry weather where I am at but my experience indicates the use of mineral spirits is still needed even when using the Penitrol. It looks good so far.
Remember, the orange peel will only go away by sanding and only becomes more noticeable the more coats you apply. Better to apply many thin coats than a few thick coats if you are looking to get a smooth clear finish.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshuaisarocker on August 16th 2010, 12:14 am

Squire Cobra Jet wrote:I found that when using the Penitrol I still needed to use Mineral spirits to keep the orange peel away. It might just be the dry weather where I am at but my experience indicates the use of mineral spirits is still needed even when using the Penitrol. It looks good so far.
Remember, the orange peel will only go away by sanding and only becomes more noticeable the more coats you apply. Better to apply many thin coats than a few thick coats if you are looking to get a smooth clear finish.

I've considered adding mineral spirits to the batch. I might experiment with it tomorrow.
Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshuaisarocker on August 16th 2010, 8:06 pm

Heres Coat 2. I block sanded coat 1 with 400 grit. Still getting some orange peel, but coverage is good.

Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on August 16th 2010, 9:50 pm

Can I make a suggestion? Before continuing, get a couple spray cans and do the door jams and hood edges. Any place the roller can't reach. You do not want to be doing that on coat 8.

Looking very good, by the way!

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshuaisarocker on August 16th 2010, 10:09 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Can I make a suggestion? Before continuing, get a couple spray cans and do the door jams and hood edges. Any place the roller can't reach. You do not want to be doing that on coat 8.

Looking very good, by the way!

Jim Cool

Thanks!. Yeah, Its one of those things I've been forgetting to do. I'll probably spend the first part of tomorrow getting those areas.
Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshuaisarocker on August 22nd 2010, 10:46 pm

Well, I'm just about done with the car. I've put on 8 coats total, with minimal sanding inbetween.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm about half way as far as polishing is concerned. That pic is of my passenger door, that was originally covered in dents. I should have some final pics by tomorrow night hopefully.

I'm using the popular harbor freight polisher with meguiars ultimate compound. However, I think i will have to follow up with meguiars scratch x or something similar.

I experimented a little with my spoiler. I used a Penetrol/Mineral Spirit/Rustoleum mix. And thinned correctly, it layed on like glass. However, compared to just penetrol/rusto, it layed on waaaaay tooo thin for my liking. I have 3 coats on it now with this mix, and It barely looks like there is any coverage, whereas just penetrol/rusto layed on super thick, with minimal orange peel
Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 23rd 2010, 9:17 pm

That door looks better than factory. thumbs up
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on August 23rd 2010, 9:45 pm

Something about that Regal Red that really shines. Yours and mine!

Looking great! cheers

Jim Cool
JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 23rd 2010, 11:12 pm

That's looking really nice
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 24th 2010, 8:50 am

looks fantastic. That safety red is a great color. I wanted to change the color on my Falcon from white to red but my interior is a different shade of red and it doesn't match very well. Keep the pics coming....
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bomazed on August 27th 2010, 9:59 am

Love the color! Great job! I think I will try the Penetrol/MS/Rustoleum mix and see how that works also.
bomazed
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Project : 95 Chevy S10
Registration date : 2010-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on August 29th 2010, 2:12 pm

looking good!! Nice to see another red cavy. I'm thinking of looking for another 93, but a z24 w/manual so i can have some fun. btw.. my car is in its 2nd year and looks as good as when I finished it
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on August 30th 2010, 9:22 am

Very nice job.
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshuaisarocker on October 1st 2010, 11:34 am

bomazed wrote:Love the color! Great job! I think I will try the Penetrol/MS/Rustoleum mix and see how that works also.

It works great, you just gotta get the mix right

RoboGeek wrote:looking good!! Nice to see another red cavy. I'm thinking of looking for another 93, but a z24 w/manual so i can have some fun. btw.. my car is in its 2nd year and looks as good as when I finished it

I love my Z24, if you decide to pic one up, don't settle for an auto, get a 5spd. The difference is night and day. I'm getting all kinds of compliments these days. Don't see too many where I'm from. I'm actually about to pick up a 3400 next paycheck, this thinks gonna haul like she looks. Since you can pick up a Z24 for less than $1000 these days, and perform a 3400 or 3500 swap for less than $1000 you can have a 14 sec daily that gets 30mpg and thats with a stock build.

Sorry for the delay in updates, been busy and ran low on funds for a while. Heres the latest pics of where I'm at now.

I do have a few questions though. On the front bumper, It seems in one small area 1"x1", the paint got contaminated. I started noticing little black bubbles, and then it began to peel off. IDK why, I alwayed wiped it down with denatured alcohol. Well, I figured instead of rolling a little paint, I would just get another can to spray it. I sprayed the door jambs with the cans

Now my question is, will the aerosol paint cans polish like the canned paint? I decided to finish up the cowl panel and spoiler with the aeresol cans, and now that I'm done sanding, I can't get the stuff to polish! Its really frustrating, it stays dull, won't polish up.

I've tried a wool pad, and a microfiber pad with ultimate compound at about 1400 to 1800rpms, and it won't polish. I originally used a terrycloth pad to polish the car. Don't know how much of a difference it can make. I did leave the ultimate compound outside in the sun for awhile. It won't go bad or anything like that will it? (Sorry detailing nooob!)
Joshuaisarocker
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by zeconcepts on October 2nd 2010, 9:01 pm

Stay away from the wool pads...Get a meguiars w7000 (maroon) cutting pad for the UC, and a w9000 finishing pad for the polish...I used swirl-x then nxt 2.0 wax afterwards. Check out my 94 probe post for my results...
zeconcepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top