s10

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: s10

Post by snafu on June 12th 2011, 9:33 pm

retired plumber wrote:Looking good.
Mike

Thanks! I'm getting close to being done finally.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 12th 2011, 9:49 pm

rmdhokie wrote:Looks good...nice reflection and gloss in the pics. How would you compare Petit to Brightside now that you've used both?

Brightside wins hands down as far as gloss goes. If you could lay it down in a dust free environment, you wouldn't even need to polish after the last coat. The Petit paint does have a nice shine after polishing, but it looks more like shiny single-stage enamel, while the Brightside looks like a clearcoat paint.

The Petit is also a little softer, but it may harden with time. This makes it easier to sand and polish but it might not be as durable. I dropped a socket on my truck fender and it left a little gouge, but I've banged on the Brightside paint quite a bit and it is tough. The Cougar does have a few stone chips on the hood and front valance now, so maybe it chips a little easier because its so hard but there is no way you could dent it.

The Petit wins the ease-of-use category. It lays down smooth and stays put where I had to keep working the Brightside for awhile. I was really surprised how quickly I got the truck painted because the Cougar was such an ordeal.

When I paint the Cougar again, I think I'll go back to Brightside. It just looks so good!

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 13th 2011, 10:01 am

I picked up some 4WD fender moldings a few years ago. I've seen them on 2WD trucks and they look good and close up the fender gap a little. I'm not sure if I'll use these yet, but decided to paint them up anyway. I didn't use any primer here, just cleaned with dish soap and mineral spirits so we'll see how the paint sticks.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 15th 2011, 10:07 am

The door handles and locks are supposed to be satin black. The label on the spray can said "satin black", but they came out flat black. When I put them on the truck, they looked just like the faded door handles on every other old S10 out there. So I sanded them down again and painted them gloss black. Its not correct, but I think it will look good.

If you want something done right, do it twice.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 16th 2011, 6:34 pm

My junkyard booty. Window, S10 Blazer rear bumper, and a bag full of fasteners and misc stuff I needed.

I hope to finish polishing this weekend. Pics to follow.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on June 16th 2011, 9:28 pm

Your truck looks great! I really like your cougar also, I like the 67-69 cougars, I have a 1967 mustang fastback and 1964 falcon in my stable.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 18th 2011, 9:48 pm

snafu wrote:If you want something done right, do it twice.

like we say at work all the time "we do it nice because we do it twice"......

Nice junk yard scores.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on June 19th 2011, 3:15 pm

[quote="snafu"]
Tommy Hillbilly wrote:
snafu wrote:I need to add a driver's window to the list for my junkyard run.
That sucks. What happened?

The window is held on by two bolts and the bracket has collars to keep you from crushing the glass when you tighten it up. Well the bracket is plastic and I guess I gave it a little to much torque. Scared the crap out of me when it went!

Not your fault. I bought my S15 new and the window did the same thing at 1500 miles! Chevy/GMC window regulators sometimes are junk from the factory. My wife's venture did it at 14K, my brother's Silverado out in Cawleeforneeya did it (both power windows), and my baby brother's Silverado in GA did it too, though it took 200K miles before it failed. Eventually, they all do.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 8th 2011, 11:21 am

I'm calling this one done.

This is primarily a commuter vehicle and it does get used as a truck, so my standards for this paint job were not too high. The paint is not real flat, but its no worse than some factory paint jobs and it does have a good gloss. Overall, I'm happy with the results.

Putting on multiple coats without sanding saved me a lot of time, but if I were to do it again, I'd sand before the last two coats. I do think painting when it was cool (low 60's) helped the paint lay flat and let me skip some of the usual sanding steps. Here's the recipe if I were to do it again:

4 coats of paint
Sand with 600
4 coats of paint
Sand with 800
2 coats of paint
Sand with 1000
2 coats of paint
Sand with 1500
Polish as needed

Here you can see the amount of orange peel I have.

I took this one last night. I've been driving it around for a couple of weeks so its a little dirty here.

No room for this one in the garage, so it will live outside all of the time. I guess we'll see how this paint holds up to the elements.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 8th 2011, 11:30 am

I've been working on the headliner.
Before:

Scraping off the old foam.

After:

The headliner came out good. The material was only about $25 so it was worth it.
I want to do the visors too, but they're a little more complicated so I think I'll have a professional do them.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on July 8th 2011, 12:58 pm

Great job on the truck Dave. I like the wheels too. And you broke new ground by adding Petit paint to the list of paint DIY rollers can use and have success with.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 8th 2011, 1:15 pm

Truck looks fantastic.....the little orange peel that you have will probably flatten out in time especially since it will be sitting in the sun all day. Another great job thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mapexgurl on July 8th 2011, 4:02 pm

I think it looks great. You're right about the orange peel being no worse then some factory paint jobs. I've seen some that I couldn't believe they let it leave the lot that way!
mapexgurl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : '72 Charger
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 8th 2011, 5:15 pm

rmdhokie wrote:Great job on the truck Dave. I like the wheels too. And you broke new ground by adding Petit paint to the list of paint DIY rollers can use and have success with.

Thanks! I know people are getting good results with basic rusto, but the topside and tractor paints are readily available and seem better suited for cars.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 8th 2011, 5:17 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:Truck looks fantastic.....the little orange peel that you have will probably flatten out in time especially since it will be sitting in the sun all day. Another great job thumbs up

Thanks! It looks fine from two or three feet, which is what I wanted. I will be watching your falcon thread while I look for another project.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on July 8th 2011, 5:20 pm

mapexgurl wrote:I think it looks great. You're right about the orange peel being no worse then some factory paint jobs. I've seen some that I couldn't believe they let it leave the lot that way!

Hey, what happened to your project?

One of these days, I'm going to go to a parking lot, take a bunch of pictures, and start a thread for bad factory paint jobs.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 9th 2011, 7:08 am

heck I can walk out of my garage at look at the crappy paint on my wife's Chevy minivan. One of the worst factory jobs I have ever seen on a vehicle thumbs down
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on July 9th 2011, 11:47 am

Hey snafu the truck looks great! Just read the whole thread and you've got me back into wanting to speed things up and get started on a project.

Maybe thinking a 77-78 Trans-Am

Also would like to add that the porter cable 7424xp is a great machine for sanding and polishing. Presure-speed of machine -arm speed-pad choice-and product choice with a good understanding of how to use each product with the above reccomendations will do a amazing job on your paint jobs.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 9th 2011, 6:33 pm

Another smart man. He knows when he's happy with it and stops Laughing . We all HAVE to come to that place sometime. I painted my 50 merc leadsled 7 times and I still wasn't really happy even then. Looking back (hindsight is 20-20 you know) I probably should have stopped after the 3rd time.
By the way, the truck looks fine to me.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 9th 2011, 9:23 pm

Looks fantastic! cheers I bought my S-truck new, and my brother had one identical to it, and the factory orange peel is about what you have there now. Great looking truck!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on March 20th 2012, 1:06 pm

Well I'm rolling paint on the S10 again, this time inside. I've had a slow coolant leak I've been trying to ignore for a while now. Green stuff in the carpet told me what to do. All in all, the heater core swap isn't a bad job in this vehicle.

Happy to get the job done, I originally planned to just shampoo the carpet and call it good. But that would introduce more moisture into the interior, and I figured I should check the floors for rust. So everything came out. You can see where the paint needs some attention at the front of the passenger floorboard.

I took a wire wheel to everything that was questionable.

Next, I brushed on some Rusto primer.

Then I went to work on the carpet. You can't do much to the backside insulation without destroying it. I hosed it down good, poured a bucket of hot soapy water on it, let it soak a few hours, and hosed it down again. When it dries, I'll flip it over and scrub the topside.

I'll put a couple coats of paint on the floors to finish them. I want to add some sound deadener too, while I'm here. I did the back of the cab and the doors a few years ago and it made a noticable difference.
snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on March 20th 2012, 8:42 pm

Floor's look solid, you have a nice s-10 there snafu, have you done anything to the cougar lately?
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on March 21st 2012, 9:47 am

Thanks. I think the floors look pretty good considering its never been garaged. These trucks aren't known for their build quality, but I have no complaints.

I haven't worked on the Cougar at all. I'm still trying to decide on color between red or orange. I ordered some Rustoleum Topside in red to check out the color and see how the paint lays down.

I cleaned the top of the carpet last night. Reproduction carpets are available, but everyone seems to agree they're not quite as good as the original carpets.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on March 21st 2012, 4:05 pm

Nice clean solid floor!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on March 22nd 2012, 9:35 am

Well, its not pretty but it should be good for another 20 years if I keep up with my cooling system maintenance.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next