few questions about semi-gloss

View previous topic View next topic Go down

few questions about semi-gloss

Post by seventy-bug on August 26th 2010, 1:54 pm

ok so here we go. after doing alot of reading on the roll on paint method i decided to try it for myself. most of what i've learned about it has been on this very forum.

i just got my hands on a 1970 vw bug that is in bad need of a paint job. the body is pretty straight so there will be very minimal body work to be done. only the trunk lid has bondo work which just needs to be sanded. my original plans were to paint the bug two-tone..flat dark blue body with the side door area a flat off-white. this would match the interior. after some reading here i decided to go with the semi-gloss finish instead. i also decided to go with the brightside polyurethane paint instead of the rustoleum enamel i originally planned to use. mainly because i discovered that brightside offers the off-white and rustoleum does not. what is the difference between polyurethane and enamel paint?

i googled brightside but did not find a website for this company..just retailers. non of the retailers seemed to carry a semi-gloss paint but i did read on another thread that brightside does offer an additive which makes their gloss paints semi-gloss. does anyone here have experience using this paint with this additive?

i read that when using a flat paint it's not necessary to wetsand or polish after the final coat since you are not trying to get a shine. is this also true with the semi-gloss? any and allllll help, info, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks. Cool
seventy-bug
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: few questions about semi-gloss

Post by retired plumber on August 28th 2010, 8:16 pm

I can't help brightside questions but semi-gloss or satin as it is also called is basically the same as "flat" and no, you can't sand it to make it flat. The chemical that is added takes away the gloss but you still have an unbroken surface which protects against rain, dirt and road junk better than a sanded surface because the above named things stick to the minute sanding scratches. 99% of the pro painted cars you see are semi-gloss/satin for that reason but people relate them to primered rat rods which are usually painted outside and made to look skuzzy by sanding. They are trying to recreate the 40s and early hot rod look when the money went for "go fast " parts first and that meant no money for paint. Lacquer primer was cheap so that is what they got until more money was raised but usually by them another speed part was needed so the paint lost out again lol.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seventy-bug on August 29th 2010, 12:18 am

hey thanks mike. i decided to go with the semi-gloss for all those reasons you pointed out. what i want to know is if anyone here has ever used the brightside paint with the flattening additive to get a semi-gloss finish. something else i wondered was how well does the brightside hold up without clear coat? it seems no one uses clear coat on their projects..whether its with rustoleum or brightside. maybe my thread should have been titled "questions about brightside" eh? hehehehe.
seventy-bug
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top