Project Progress: Dakota

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project Progress: Dakota

Post by FriedDakota on August 28th 2010, 6:32 pm

This is my first post to this forum. A giant THANK YOU to all that have contributed info to give us the confidence to tackle rolled on!
Progress on the Dakota is good. This is a classic Dodge blown clear coat on top surfaces. I am painting from the center body line up. I'll lay on vinyl stripes after the painting is complete. The photos that I am attempting to post are with the truck sanded and primed, and then after one coat. I have just finished the third coat. I am amazed at the finish this process is producing. I had ALOT of dirt in the first coat, so I wet sanded before coat two. The weather is cooperating, so I rolled coat three this afternoon. I'll wet sand Sunday evening and it's on to coat four. I've had great results with 50% Rustoleum black, 25% mineral spirits, and 25% Penetrol.

I am attempting to post a couple of pictures. I am convinced that I am am idiot. Looks like thumbnails will post. Advise me if I should post photos differently. I'll get better pictures posted once I figure out what I am doing!!

FriedDakota
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 3
Project: 2001 Dakota Ext Cab
Registration date: 2010-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Progress: Dakota

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on August 29th 2010, 1:52 am

Looking good.

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 181
Registration date: 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FriedDakota on September 2nd 2010, 5:16 pm

I put the moldings back on the Dakota today. Now I'll just drive it and wait until it is thoroughly cured before a final sand & light buffing.
So far I am very pleased with the result. I may be shorting myself on the process, but I stopped after just five coats of paint. I'm not going for a perfect paint job and it is already looking better than the lower portion of with the factory paint along with assorted scratched and a few dings. This is my "work" truck, and it just needed a cheap and effective solution to the bad clear coat condition.

Not a bad result for under $100 (including materials that are left over for the next job, or any re-do work).

Some of the specks in the photo are in the paint, and some are on the surface from the towel I used to lightly dust off the surface.

There will be a med/dark gray pin stripe applied on the line dividing the lower factory paint from the upper rolled on paint.

The truck cleaned up very nice, but I expect that after buffing both the old & new it will look incredible.

FriedDakota
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on September 2nd 2010, 5:56 pm

Looks great! thumbs up

Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 181
Registration date: 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVonBaden on September 2nd 2010, 6:30 pm

Looks great! Maybe you should have put a couple coats on the bottom too! LOL

Jim Cool

JimVonBaden
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 89
Job/hobbies: DHS
Project: 1973 Opel GT
Registration date: 2010-05-24

View user profile http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FriedDakota on September 2nd 2010, 7:09 pm

Thanks Guys!
I'm sure the bottom half of the truck is feeling very neglected. Sad
If I had more ambition I and considerably more time , I might have considered an overall paint job. The choice to do top only was mostly because of the rust-free, generally sound condition of the truck and how I intend to use it. The prior owners put only 25,000 miles (of 90,000) on it in 6-1/2 years! It sat for a long time which lead to the clear coat condition on the top surfaces. It also received damge in the way of scratches to glass and minor dings & scratches to the lower body. I don't know if it made a trip through the woods or what?? It cleans up nice, & with the big improvement to the top side I am happy as a clam!

FriedDakota
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on September 4th 2010, 12:36 am

That looks awesome, post up after the pin stripe

T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts: 332
Job/hobbies: Heavy equipment operator
Project: 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date: 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sactownie on March 16th 2013, 3:29 pm

I know this is an old thread Im replying to but...
I also have a dakota that is painted factory black paint code px8, Looks like the rustoleum black is a pretty good match from what I can tell from the pics?
someone on another forum said it would be more brown, anyway I have the clear coat fail on the hood and roof so I am just planning on doing that and hopefully its a good match like what I see in your pictures.

sactownie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 9
Project: 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
Registration date: 2013-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sactownie on March 7th 2014, 5:20 am

FYI anyone else with a black chrysler product PX8 paint code, I ended up using interlux black gloss brightside. It is almost a perfect match when just doing the hood and roof like I did. I did it almost a year ago but the truck has sat since because of driver license issues. The paint still looks like I just did it last week.
Im going to be resurrecting it soon, wetsanding the slight orangepeel out and buffing with my PC7424 maybe ill make a seperate thread and post pics.

sactownie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 9
Project: 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
Registration date: 2013-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top