Other Methods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Other Methods

Post by Squallie on December 20th 2007, 1:03 am

now i know its recommended to use foam rollers, but im testing out those other types that people use for house paint. only differnce i seen so far is just more bubbles. like alot of them. and this is with a 2:1, 2 part paint, 1 part thinner. and ive also even used spray paint on my tail gate around the handle where a roller or brush wouldnt be able to cover really. just make sure you spray an even ammount every coat and still use the roller and cover what you can of the area. and i will use this method on the door jams as well.
Squallie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Anything Automotive
Project : 98 Ranger 4.0L V6
Registration date : 2007-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Other Methods

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 1:21 am

The downside to using housepaint rollers is the nap. Nap is refered to as the thickness of the "fuzz" bonded to the roller tube. Thick naps will leave a really rough texture on anything you paint with it. That's with ordinary paint now I'm not sure how it reacts to this type of self leveling enamel. Another bad thing is the nap will come loose leaving little hairs in the finish. Keep experimenting with it though and let us know how it turns out. burnout

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squallie on December 20th 2007, 1:30 am

well actually. before i stumbled across this sight, i just just the paint itself and no thinner. and it went on thick and had some bad orange peel and was a PAIN to wetsand. BUT using this roller has pretty much only left minor orange peel. it looks like it did when i used no thinner but is WAY easier to wetsand. ive used a foam roller too and yea i can tell how one goes on thicker and a bit rougher then the other.
Squallie
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by (null).exe on December 20th 2007, 2:31 am

Squallie wrote:now i know its recommended to use foam rollers, but im testing out those other types that people use for house paint. only differnce i seen so far is just more bubbles. like alot of them. and this is with a 2:1, 2 part paint, 1 part thinner. and ive also even used spray paint on my tail gate around the handle where a roller or brush wouldnt be able to cover really. just make sure you spray an even ammount every coat and still use the roller and cover what you can of the area. and i will use this method on the door jams as well.

Housepaint rollers?!?!?!? omg that's terrible! it's like putting OP INTO your paint job. please please please go to walmart and buy a 4" roller and a few packs of high density foam rollers. you will save yourself sooooo much heartache.

(wow didn't mean to seem like i was jumping down your throat...)

P.S. From (null).exe's book of useless facts: Using housepaint rollers on your car is what got rolling such a laughable reputation originally. that and using latex house paint instead of oil-based enamel. equipment designed to DIY your house usually has bad juju with metal items.
(null).exe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Job/hobbies : Air Traffic Controller, Track Racer, Competitive Fencer.
Project : 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile http://nullexe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squallie on December 20th 2007, 4:16 am

did not know that^^^

well on the trial panel i have (the time we have to kill between coats) it turned out pretty good i think. now im using foam rollers for the actual project but i wanted to try different things.
Squallie
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 8:51 am

Theres nothing wrong with widening your options. Just make sure it's something that will be beneficial. If you find other ways to have an affordable paintjob by all means let us know.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lanceb on December 20th 2007, 4:23 pm

Well, if you want to try something really different, you can try what the guys use to use decades ago when they couldn't afford a "real" paint job. Take a regular housepaint roller (short nap) and cover it with a nylon stocking. Never personally tried it, but that's what the old guys tell me they used "back in the day." Sounds plausible, in theory.

LanceB

lanceb
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 4:28 pm

Yeah that sounds like it would work. The way I see it you could do that or you could buy the foam rollers and get the same results?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top