'89 Chevy Astro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'89 Chevy Astro

Post by kx59 on September 18th 2010, 11:40 am

Greetings Rollers!
This is likely to be one of the slower projects. I'm working on my daily driver, so this will be done panel by panel. Also, lot's of square footage to address. The plan is to use rustoleum primer, rustoleum gloss black between the side windows, rustoleum aluminum for the roof, and pettit easypoxy burgundy for the rest of it. The reason for the aluminum color on the roof is reduce the heat gain some.
Hopefully my pics display as photos and not just links: here goes...

Meet the victim: an '89 Chevy astro w/ 147K miles on it.

clear coat is long gone, base coat eroded badly.

The black paint between the windows separates from the primer with a single edge razor blade in sheets.

it may not show up in the photo too well, but there's a wrinkle in the panel right behind the driver's door pull

A nice little dent in the left rear corner to deal with

rust on the roof

one little bit of progress, old paint stripped, primed, sanded and two coats of black

If anyone has suggestions for a product i could use to neutralize rust on the roof after it's been sanded I'd appreciate it. I'd like to avoid burying any rust under the new paint if I can.

kx59
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: '89 Chevy Astro

Post by Miss Sasy on September 18th 2010, 12:05 pm

That looks like surface rust like my comet. We just made sure to sand down ALL the rust real good and you can spot prime with the Rustoleum stops rust paint and it usually holds well and wont come back. If its rusted through the only way to fix it is to replace the piece with new sheet metal.
Miss Sasy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Cars
Project : 1966 Merc. Comet 4dr.
Registration date : 2010-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on October 2nd 2010, 7:31 pm

Man working on this black paint between the windows is fussy.
Did some prep and priming on the pillars and over top the slider window.
hope to get the sanding done and a finish coat or two on them in the morning to seal up the primer. pic's not so good - from my cell phone.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on October 3rd 2010, 1:52 pm

last update for this weekend. got some black paint on it. I went thick on purpose because it will be next weekend before I can get back to it. It means wet sanding out plenty of runs and brush strokes but I'm starting to get into the zen of wet sanding.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurymarc on October 4th 2010, 2:40 am

Steve-
lookin' good so far!
If you have lots of brush strokes you may want to try to use thinner paint and maybe even a tiny roller.
I found out (the hard way...) that it is easier to apply an extra thin coat then to sand down orange peel, brush marks, and runs.
Good luck!
Marc in SF
63 Comet
http://whitecomet.co.nr
Mercurymarc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 58
Project : 1963 Mercury Comet
Registration date : 2009-06-26

View user profile http://whitecomet.co

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on October 4th 2010, 3:25 pm

I always cheat and spray the window trim and door jams.... thumbs up
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on October 4th 2010, 9:03 pm

thanks for the encouragement. it's actually a horror show up close, but I'm not concerned. The ugly will sand out ok. I may resort to rattle cans before I'm done around the windows, however I dislike all the masking that goes along with it. The following coats will be much thinner. I ran a bit short of time Sunday and needed to get the primer sealed up good as I have no idea what the weather holds for me this week. My wife thinks I'm wacked, but then she knew that when she married me cyclops
kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on October 16th 2010, 1:16 pm

A little more progress. I sanded the black paint down pretty far to fix the bad spots in my primer prep. The high spots in the primer started showing through pretty quick. I switched from the brush to the foam roller. My paint mix is still too thick and I'm sure I'm rolling it too much, but the orange peel looks to be easier to sand than brush strokes.
I'm liking the black over the windows

other side - red over the windows:

said orange peel:

looks like that's it for this weekend since I used my last foam roller cover, and I'm very far from any hardware store. That's one thing that is very cool about this painting method, it's pretty portable. Time to go fishing now.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 21st 2010, 4:33 pm

off on vacation, down at the water again for a week. I plan to do nothing but fish and roller paint.
Worked on the roof of the van today. Man what a chore that was...stood on a step ladder all day.
Started at first light this morning. Scrubbed it down, sanded it out and put a thick coat of primer on it. Lots of surface rust.
pics tomorrow and my favorite thing....sanding.
If I manage to get the roof done this week I'll be satisfied.
kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 21st 2010, 4:53 pm

A couple of quick pics today.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 22nd 2010, 4:40 pm

rolled two coats of rustoleum aluminum on the roof today. About half way through the first coat, it dawned on me that I was essentially rolling a metal flake paint. It got a bit splotchy in places but the paint was on the thin side to begin with and after I cut it with mineral spirits the orange peel from the roller is microscopic. the pics are bad, sorry, in my haste I forgot the good camera so the pics are from my cell phone, which has decided that it's only taking small format pics now. Thanks to the responders to my other post about what you guys have been using to measure paint/mineral spirits...aneat, retiredplumber, zeconcepts... others I'm sure. I'm pretty psyched. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between these and the primer pics but it is actually silver in color. I'm pondering adding a bit of black to the mix, as I'd like to have a more gray color than shiny aluminum...I'll have to think on that for a bit. forecast is for rain tomorrow.
I may roll it out of the barn and wet sand the disaster of a hood on this pig.
apologies...I blather..the pics

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 22nd 2010, 5:40 pm

trying for a bigger pic here...
kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 23rd 2010, 5:07 pm

wet sanded the nibs off this afternoon and applied coat 3 to the roof.
it's getting a bit late in the day to attempt coat 4 due to condensation concerns. the orange peel is so small, I skipped right to 1000 grit paper.
kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 23rd 2010, 5:55 pm

I backed it out of the barn into the sun to take a look...

It's reflecting lots of light, which means lot's of heat as well. which is the whole point of the silver on the roof. the low res pics lie, There are some streaks and splotchiness in the finish. But, the orange peel is minimal, and I've manged the runs and ridges in the paint pretty well, which I'm happy about. Quite a learning curve in this process. I can see where my rolling technique was good, and where it was bad. Regardless, as my son noted, it's looking more respectable with each post.
kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rustycarr on November 25th 2010, 11:06 am

on the black paint you might try mixing it with penetrol. It has a great leveling effect,so when you put it on thick it will self level, less sanding.
rustycarr
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 26th 2010, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the input,
I have some penetrol, which I've been using with the aluminum paint on the roof, and it has leveled out pretty well.
I think I'm going to re-prep the areas around the windows and rattle can them, or get a preval spray unit like poppashango used. It's not the arrow but the indian in this case. I've tried brushing and rolling in the narrow areas around the windows with poor results.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 27th 2010, 2:55 pm

The weather has turned for the worse, so I think I'll have to sit pat with 5 coats on the roof for a while. The coverage of the paint is good. I'd like to get at least one, if not two more coats on it, but I think I'll spray the final coats. After that, I'm going to put a clear coat over it to give it some shine.

Some thoughts after working with the Rustoleum Aluminum.
With mineral spirits and penetrol, it is workable for quite a while.
It takes a fair amount of re-rolling to even out the color and remove roller edge streaks.
A paint strainer, the type used before putting paint in a spray gun would be a good thing with this paint.
Doing the final "tip-off" roll in one direction produced one shade of silver, re-tipping the same swatch in the opposite direction produces a different shade of silver.
Roller technique matters a lot.
After working with the paint, I think it might be possible to get a uniform, streak free color as long as you are working on a reasonably small panel that you can do the final tip off rolls in one direction from edge to edge non-stop.
It's been done, one of the members here did his Jeep and I think it came out great. I tracked down his post a few days back to see if he had used a clear over the aluminum color, which he had. I was getting more of a satin finish.
I'm far from done and my results are far from perfect, but I'm enjoying the heck out of this. I bet by the time I get done with the astro-pig, I'll have this process down pretty good. Then I'll just have to get another old beater so I can do this well from the beginning. (something with a much smaller roof) Very Happy
Comments are welcome. Pointers always appreciated.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 27th 2010, 3:37 pm

last two pics for a while:
looking at this pic, I see the base coat erosion on the hood is accelerating. I'm itching to get at that hood.

kx59
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 27th 2010, 3:46 pm

Your tip on making the final rolls all in one direction was very good. Thanks.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top