Mixture

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mixture

Post by 86Iroc on December 20th 2007, 8:11 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my mixture looks about right: Its about a 50/50 mixture of Rust-Oleum Gloss Black, and paint thinner(its probably about 40/60 with more thinner). Youtube Video

I painted inside where my hood louvers go to see how it will turn out, using the foam brushes, not the rollers. So far it looks good and was wondering if I should paint the hood by using just the foam brushes, and not the rollers?
86Iroc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 86 Camaro Iroc-Z
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixture

Post by Matt on December 20th 2007, 11:14 pm

The mixture looks fine to me. You want thin coats so it levels out better. I started with a 1:1 mixture but I switched to a 2:1 ratio so I had a little more control over the paint drips/runs. Also when you say thinner you are using mineral spirits? I've heard of people using foam brushes but the problems with those are that they drag the paint across the panel. This has potential to leave some raised brush marks in the dry coat. Requiring more sanding. Try a test panel and do half with a roller and half with the foam brush. Let it dry and see what differences if any occur. Make sure to keep us updated with your results. Wink

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86Iroc on December 21st 2007, 3:55 pm

Yeah, its mineral spirits.

I decided to use the rollers, and the foam brushes for parts of the hood that I cant get with the rollers. I was afraid that the rollers would leave allot of bubbles, but as soon as I started rolling it they went away, and the ones that didn't I just lightly went over with a new roller.
86Iroc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 86 Camaro Iroc-Z
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 21st 2007, 6:01 pm

Yeah you don't have to use a new roller to get rid of the bubbles. Paint the panel until it's covered the way you want then go back over it just holding the handle of the roller up. This way just the weight of the roller is being used to pop the bubbles. You won't get every single little bubble but those will pop while the paint dries.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top