Goin rollin with Deep Teal on my 92 Ranger

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goin rollin with Deep Teal on my 92 Ranger

Post by Gobeavs on October 11th 2010, 2:19 am

Well heck here goes nothin!!....My DD now is a 92 Ford Ranger XL. She is some kinda teal color (well kinda) but the paint job is heavily oxidized. No major rust in the panels and only a modest amount of bodywork to be done. I am going to use Ace Rust stop paint and roll it approximately the same color as factory. Deep Teal is the closest match looks like to me. I asked the guys at my local Ace about mixing it custom for me and they seem confident and knowledgable. I have never painted a car before but am pretty handy in the workshop. I was able to find a replacement tailgate that is like brand new but is white. I am gonna start with this as my test part and see how it turns out!!........Wish me luck and I will try to keep up to date with the pics.....Rollin baby Rollin!!!.....Brian.....
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : Security/woodwork
Project : 92 Ranger (an ugly DD)
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goin rollin with Deep Teal on my 92 Ranger

Post by LARRYBOMB on October 11th 2010, 4:08 pm

Sounds sweet hope to hear more. I got a '86 Ford Ranger ext cab that I will be working on soon. I have to do some front end bodywork and very little everywhere else since it's not rusty. It has been sitting in a barn for about 6 years. I took it to the Job Corps for them to get it running. The cool thing about that is they do all the labor for free I just have to pay for parts. So over the cold months I can get the body work done so when it warms up I can paint. Good luck to you sir and will be looking forward to your progress. Larry
LARRYBOMB
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 11th 2010, 5:07 pm

So here is a pic (or maybe "pics" if I can get more than one to load!..gr!!) of the ranger when I started. Lots of frame rusty spots but not too much on the bodywork. The biggest issue is the oxidization, its everywhere. I rolled on the first coat of Ace Rust Stop in Dark Teal this pm at about 1. Looks blotchy, bubbly and generally is difficult to cover the white tailgate. I am not discouraged though as many other posts here address how "bad" it looks in the begginning!!............ok this blows!!!....How the hell do i get the pics to attach???....I got them on my acct on servimg.com but cant get them into the body of my posts????.........Help Please??!!!!..........Brian........
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 11th 2010, 5:12 pm

If you have the image hosted elsewhere you use the "image" icon and it will add the required "img" in the brackets that are needed
ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 11th 2010, 10:10 pm

So here I go tryin again to post some pics of the teal 92 Ranger!!...Sorry about all these stupid pic sizes, just still figuring this pic stuff out!!!!...Much thanks to Matt for doin what he does!!
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st coat on the tailgate with the Ace Rust stop

Post by Gobeavs on October 11th 2010, 10:33 pm

So here is the best part on the Ranger, the tailgate!!...lol...bought this from a guy who had a whole storage unit of nearly new tailgates. It is marked 84 Ranger and is in almost perfect condition. Smile I rolled on the first coat of Ace Rust Stop in Deep Teal this afternoon. Covering white is not easy but I am not discouraged yet. I went with a mix of 2/1 paint to Ace "odorless" MSpirits. I am gonna follow the manufacturers drying times and hope for the best!!.....I started with what I think is now a difficult part to roll. All the ridges and angles on the tailgate are a challenge. Thanks so much to those who have posted detailed results and pics on this site, it gives me a bit of confidence!!......As my girl says "you cant make it look any worse" Rolling Eyes http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/15/74/48/10/first_12.jpg
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 11th 2010, 10:41 pm

Hey you could have went with white and matched the tailgate and cap Laughing
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 11th 2010, 10:53 pm

Everybody out here has got a white car so I didn't think about that one for too long!!....lol....I don't know how popular Ace hardware is back there but if this paint works out people otta realize how many color choices they offer. I am not expert but it appears lots more choices than Rusto. I am gonna have to drive this pickup on and off during this deal so I gotta get creative about what and when I paint.........Brian....... Shocked
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on October 12th 2010, 1:01 am

That looks pretty typical for a first coat, by coat 4 to 6 you should have full coverage. The mix ratio sounds like it might be a little on the thick side. Watch out for Orange peel.
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 12th 2010, 9:22 pm

Second coat went on without a hitch tonight. Starting to get some better coverage but you are right SC Jet I gotta try it a bit thinner!..After i sand it this time I will probably get a good idea about how the peel is gonna be Crying or Very sad I can really see how the coats need to be thin and light. I have spray painted a lot of wood and it is the same way there, lighter is better but more time consuming. Has anybody out there actually finished a car with this Ace brand or am I truly a "risk taker"????? Shocked Shocked Shocked ........thanks for your support.....rollin along, Brian........http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/15/74/48/10/2nd_co11.jpg
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 12th 2010, 10:57 pm

Hey I think those guys did a good job matching the color. Seems like I heard of someone else using the "Ace" brand of paint. I think its all about the same stuff if its oil based like Rustoleum and the others.

Our local "Do It" hardware store has a house brand oil based paint that looks like a Rustoleum spin off as well
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 13th 2010, 1:37 am

Thought about adding any Penatrol?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 14th 2010, 9:47 pm

Yea I thought about asking at ace today about the penatrol but not convinced its neccessary. The first sanding last night cut through some of the coats but I am not getting worried yet. Thinned the Rust Stop to 2.5/1 thinner/paint. Rolled it really smooth with the third coat but its gonna really slow the coverage down. Covering white with the teal is a *****. Thanks for the compliment on the color Aneat but that is a straight mix of the Ace Deep Teal as listed in their handout, not specific to my truck!!... Very Happy
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on October 15th 2010, 1:54 am

great project. don't worry about ace paint, i did 2 projects with it and I thought the paint was great.

check out my 2 projects:
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/projects-f2/hey-new-guy-here-with-a-el-camino-t357.htm

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/projects-f2/first-sprayed-project-t369.htm
74 Elco
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0re0 on October 15th 2010, 1:31 pm

Yes, I used custom colored Ace Rust Stop

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/projects-f2/1992-geo-storm-gsi-t573.htm

I however never got to get enough coats on it (work obligations and the car is my DD) so I was left with a beautiful smooth color but with almost no gloss, I will however be crackin open my gallon again and give it another go, this time with Penetrol though.
0re0
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 24
Project : 1992 Geo Storm GSi
Registration date : 2010-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobeavs on October 15th 2010, 8:36 pm

Thanks for posting the confidence in Ace Rust stop makes me believe i made an ok choice.....more pics to come after coat #4.........74 elco I love that color!!! Very Happy ....That would be what we would call Beaver Orange (Oregon state) cheers
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

4th coat is down

Post by Gobeavs on October 15th 2010, 10:38 pm

Sanded through the 2nd coat in a few places!!.... 4th coat went well. I went back to the 2/1 paint/thinner mix, just seems to be a balance between coverage and runs/peeling. This is gonna be a beautiful "20 foot" tailgate Shocked [left][right] Sorry about the jacked up text and pic alignment this postin stuff is still new to me rabbit
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tailgate testing continues!

Post by Gobeavs on October 23rd 2010, 10:26 pm

[img][/img] So I got 6 coats of Ace Deep Teal on the outside of this gate and now am working on the interior of the gate. I want to roll the whole bed but I am trying to do it on the cheap with some Rustoleum Hammered rolled on. I am really happy with the look, texture and hardness but am a little stumped on why I got the "air bubbles" when I rolled it with a 1/4 nap roller as recommended by the manufacturer??????..........Any suggestions?????....i wetsanded with some 400 and wiped it down with some acetone. Should have been clean enough but i may need to ruff it up some more sanding first. I am gonna hold off on doing the whole bed just yet as I can't live with these results. Should I just pony up for the Herculiner coating and do it with that?????............Brian.........
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 23rd 2010, 11:30 pm

Gobeavs wrote:Should I just pony up for the Herculiner coating and do it with that?????............Brian.........
I was thinking that you should go with some kind of roll-on bedliner.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on October 23rd 2010, 11:56 pm

Hey.. I like the teal color you went with on the tailgate. It really looks like it's going to match well with the rest of the truck. I've only done the trunk lid on my car (so far) and I had good results with a 1:1 paint to thinner ratio. I found that any more paint and it was thick and full of peel and any more thinner and it just didn't have the coverage. Also I think you'll find that as you get coats 5-6+ on there and as you up the grit on the sandpaper you'll see it get smoother and smoother. Once you buff out the 2000 grit you can really get some nice results.

Nice work on the posting so far, the pics look great!

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 24th 2010, 9:23 am

I put the silver hammer finished rusto on my bumpers. It seemed to go on real well but I used the same type of small foam roller and just used it right out of the can.

The Herculiner or the Duplicolor Bed Armor are very nice. The one Gallon kit should do your truck easy
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tailgate saga

Post by Gobeavs on October 27th 2010, 10:12 pm

Well slowly I am getting back to the tailgate for the ranger. I am really happy with the way the Rustoleum hammered turned out except is does not look like it will be "tough" enough for the interior of the bed. I can still scrape it with my fingernail after about 5 days dryin!.....I finally found some quarts of Hammerite which I know is tough and hard when it drys. I will run a test soon with it. I rolled on 7 th coat of Deep Teal tonight and am happy with the way it layed down. Ratio was 1/1 with about 25% Penatrol. I think I am gonna like the Penatrol as I can immediately see the diff!!.....This tailgate that started white has been a pain to try and cover, I would not recommend it!!.....What are you guys using to "wipe down" the coats before laying another?..I have been trying acetone as a cleaner and degeaser just prior to rollin a coat. If you are in a dust free environment I suppose you are not wiping with anything huh???.....Thanks for listening !...lol...... tongue More pics to come soon!
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 27th 2010, 11:35 pm

I used denatured alcohol, it doesent smell as bad as the acetone if that matters to ya.

It sure doesent hurt to wipe it down.

Any of its good as long as it doesent take off your paint Laughing
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squire Cobra Jet on October 28th 2010, 11:21 pm

ANeat wrote:I used denatured alcohol, it doesent smell as bad as the acetone if that matters to ya.

It sure doesent hurt to wipe it down.

Any of its good as long as it doesent take off your paint Laughing
x2
Squire Cobra Jet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Checkin in

Post by Gobeavs on November 10th 2010, 9:54 pm

Well things have slowed dramatically for me. I did manage to find a brand spankin new pass. side fender online for my Ranger for the steal price of $29!!!!!!!!!!.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy some kinda close out huh!!....I have brushed the interior of the bed with black "hammerite". I've got a week of vacation the end of this month and my girlfriends heated garage to work in so I hope to really focus on the "Deep Teal Ranger" then. Lots of pics then!!...Brian...
Gobeavs
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content