Herculiner Undercoating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Herculiner Undercoating

Post by Matt on December 21st 2007, 9:17 am

I moved this conversation from the toyota thread here so the topic didn't derail from Highgloss's project and since this is an affordable ROLL ON liner it deserves a place on this forum. agree If you are doing a frame off and want to coat the underbody of your vehicle, lay some down in the bed of your truck, or use it to protect your floors like in my case then this should help you out. I used herculiner to coat my tub floors in my 1985 Jeep CJ7. Autozone sells a gallon kit that comes with everything you need to put on 2 heavy coats in a longbed truck for $80. The only thing you will need to pick up is a disposable paint tray. I put on 2 thick durable coats and still have about a quart left. To start, you will need to scuff up the floors really well with the pad provided. I even went as far as using a drill with a wire brush to make sure everything was rough enough to accept the liner. After scuffing I used acetone (xylene is an alternative) to clean the entire surface. Use masking tape to prevent the liner from going where you don't want it to. Make sure to mix up the liner really well to prevent lumps when rolling. Roll on the first coat and don't worry about the way it looks, this just serves as a base coat if you will. Use the brush to squeeze the liner into the hard to reach corners. I can't remember the re-coat time suggested on the can but I waited a full 24 hourse before applying the second coat. When you get to the second coat use the same method as you did on the first. Keep in mind the more liner you add, the more texture you get. Remove the masking tape a few minutes after the second coat. This stuff is made of bits and pieces of chopped up rubber and is VERY durable once it's cured. You will have a really hard time removing the tape if it's hardened. I think I covered everything (no pun intended). Let me know if you have any questions.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Herculiner Undercoating

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 21st 2007, 11:01 am

very good job, i really like the look of it.
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 21st 2007, 11:08 am

I am very pleased with it. When I first bought the jeep it had carpet in it wrong Any Jeep owner knows the floorboards go pretty quick and theres no reason for me to allow that to happen. The water held dew moisture on the pans so I stripped it out a week later.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top