My 1999 MB C280

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My 1999 MB C280

Post by nhmercracer on January 8th 2012, 1:54 pm

occupant wrote:I have noticed many Mercedes and BMW from the 80s and 90s suffer from the same paint delamination, clearcoat lift, and oxidation that plagued US made cars of that era. These cars are really wonderful to drive and are still mechanically simple enough to fix economically. Being able to paint it as well with these techniques only makes the prospect of a budget luxury car that much more intriguing.

I hope your C280 ends up the way you want it. Back in 97-98 when these were new, I tried to buy a new '98 C230 Kompressor sedan. I had saved up the 30% down payment money the dealer asked for, I was prepared to spend $450 a month on the payments for 5 years, and of course when I go in to sign off on it they re-evaluate my '93 Dynasty trade and decide they need another $4000 to cover its negative equity.

Now that these cars are approaching the $1500-$2500 mark used, even in good condition, it might be time to re-visit that car that was my dream 14 years ago!

Thank you both very much.
63, your car is one of the success stories, which convinced me to attempt this.

Occupant, you have summed it well.

I will add the early 722.6 transmission has issues. MB has addressed the problems in later transmission builds. With proper fluid changes, the 722.6 can live for a long time. However the deficiencies will eventually kill the transmission. I know this box has been used in high hp applications by Chrysler, so the fixes do work.

MB had the same teething pains with waterborne paints as all the other manufacturers. Silver is the most susceptible, but the black also has adhesion/rust issues. Any dirt or grit under trim quickly grinds through this paint, and starts the rusting process.

This car drove well even at high speeds, even with a broken spring, bad wheel bearings, deteriorated suspension bushings, and a worn out steering stabilizer.

When my 190E disappeared, I decided to do a little work to this car. I am still looking for the perfect 190E 2.5 EVO. I believe the 201/124 cars are of higher build quality than the current MB offerings. Sure, the electronics may be a little prehistoric, but a little trade-off is OK.

If you really want an older MB, I would look for a used example from the southern states. You may still have paint issues, but the rust will be minimal.

If a 202 is your bag, I would look for a post-update C230K. You have the benefits of the later traction controls, and do not have to deal with the M112/113 engine oil issues. You have to change the compressor oil occasionally, but, that's MB. Smile The power of the V-6, with the durability of the M111.

Oh yea, I have a bunch of spring pads on order, to mess with the ride heights. I'm going for a little more rake.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on January 9th 2012, 11:48 am

Thanks for the compliment. It's crazy how many nice cars are on this forum. Yours will be one of them.... thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

New steering wheel.

Post by nhmercracer on January 11th 2012, 11:38 pm

I bought a NRG 320mm leather wheel, along with a Momo hub. The NRG wheel is nicely made Chinese "Momo" style wheel. The leather is good quality, and the anodizing is nice. The brushed finish is more coarse than a true Momo. The wheel came with a horn button, a decorative horn collar (which I did not use), and other ancillary mounting hardware.

I had previously purchased the necessary resistor to eliminate the airbag. I set off the SRS light, and had to buy a system to turn the light off.

I should have bought a larger wheel, something for the future.

Some pictures.

I cannot center the wheel, as the front right wheel is off to service the caliper.

Still much to do.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on January 17th 2012, 9:46 pm

Some new tires. Hopefully mounted tomorrow. Arrived in less then 24 hours from Tirerack.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on January 18th 2012, 8:55 am

nothing like "new shoes" for your ride thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster